Author Topic: Cunard Crew Calling Card  (Read 309 times)

Online Andy Holloway

Cunard Crew Calling Card
« on: Apr 26, 2024, 03:46 PM »
Sorting through a box of bits & pieces Cunard related, i came across a 'Cunard Crew Calling Card' [phone] valued for $10. It features on the front a bow shot, back as far as the bridge, of QE2 possibly just going to, or from ,anchor as the bow platforms are out.

Do any ex crew remember or used these?

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Cunard Crew Calling Card
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2024, 09:18 AM »
Sorting through a box of bits & pieces Cunard related, i came across a 'Cunard Crew Calling Card' [phone] valued for $10. It features on the front a bow shot, back as far as the bridge, of QE2 possibly just going to, or from ,anchor as the bow platforms are out.

Do any ex crew remember or used these?

I'd be interested to see a photo!

How did it work?  Did cunard sell them on board?  Were they subsidised or anything?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2024, 11:48 AM »
They were from a 'by gone age' BM, Before Mobiles!

They were mainly used by crew when away from UK and operated in the same way to any of the phone cards sold arouind the World in that you scratched off the number and that was your payment. The second phot explains it, that is the reverse side image.

I have some more ex QE2 crew phone cards which i will post seperately about later.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2024, 05:18 PM »
When i first joined Cunard on M/S Vistafjord in 1996 i, being a nurd, or is that nurk, began collecting phone cards from all the different ports & countries we visited, which were many and various. Over the years i amassed a huge collection of a few thousand different cards from my travels. So when i joined QE2 in 2000 i continued my 'fetish' and even had a collecting jar in the Crew Office for 'voluntary donations' to my collection.

A few years after i jonied QE2 i was talking to the Crew Steward and he said that he had 'some' cards in the office and did i want them, little did i know what or how many there were.
It turns out that for some years prior to my joining QE2, BT used to connect her up to the landline system with phones that required a phone card to operate. To supply these phone cards the crew office used to sell them, however with the increase in the availability and price difference between these cards and those available from 'corner shops' not many were sold. Then on 31st March 2000 they all 'time expired' and became unusable anymore and as such just sat in the Crew Office gathering dust.

When i took delivery of them, then sat down and looked at them there were two different values, £5 & £10, and a rough total 'value'[as new] of well over £500 which would have had to be 'written off' from the Crew Welfare Fund.

There are 5 different style of cards; 'Haven' Holidays £10 ones, plus £5 'plus £1 extra to', laugh, share, enjoy & live. ones, that came in packs of 10 and also some individual ones.

Unfortunately i only have the one Cunard card, but dozens of the BT ones if there are any other collectors out there.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2024, 04:35 PM »
There was also the BT card that featured the "Salute to a Queen" image of QE2 and Concorde over New York.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2024, 08:24 AM »
To think we now have eSIMs (virtual SIM cards) and Starlink soon to be useable from any unmodified mobile phone. All this change just within my lifetime (born in 1996)!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Cunard posters

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Cunard

Replies: 3
Views: 1824
Last post Jun 21, 2013, 12:50 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Chris Frame and Rachelle Cross : 175 Years of Cunard

Started by tdicksonBoard Cunard

Replies: 5
Views: 2745
Last post Apr 20, 2015, 02:19 PM
by Brandon Sterkel