Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Re: Queen Elizabeth Naming Ceremony and Preview Lunch Southampton  (Read 17208 times)

Online Twynkle

Re: Queen Elizabeth Naming Ceremony and Preview Lunch Southampton
« Reply #40 on: Oct 11, 2010, 03:59 PM »
BBC News 24

At approximately 3.48pm,  the HM The Queen was shown looking around the Bridge with Captain Wells.

The presenter announcing:
  "the new ship will be called QET,  and there you can see her being launched -  the TV picture at this point showed HMS Duncan in the process of going from the slipway into the Clyde!"

A Classic!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Our own John Little, "Cunarder Man", can be heard at this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00bddm0/Julian_Clegg_11_10_2010/  at 22m50s.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Pat Curry

« Reply #42 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:08 PM »
The QEII Terminal is a building site at the moment with the rail tracks having been taken up.

Why are they taking them up? 
Are they going to relay the tracks?  Because if not that's the end of the Orient Express cpming alongside .  I saw that many times.  Wonderful. 

Were Cunard relieved that the QE11 terminal wasn't used in case of memories by her majesty and all in sundry of the QE2?

Incidentally, BBC South did a good feature on the new ship (urgh!).  The new Exec Chef is Mark Olroid.  He was on board the QE2 for years with his identical twin brother Nicholas and they worked their way up through production then sous chefs the CDCs (Chef de Cuisine) in charge of s grill or restaurant or the Lido.  I know them both well and they really stood out for hard work and dedications. Now Nicholas is Exec Chef on QM2. 

Asked if they get stressed doing the job, Mark said "we never get stressed on Cunard".  And the brothers never did. 

It's a remarkable success story.  They now have a rank of three bars (only the hotel manager, staff captain, chief engineer have more) and a pay check to match.

Congratulations. 

(I think both of them are on the Cunard Crew Facebook)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: HM The Queen to name Cunard Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #43 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Now is it just me, or is this image TOTALLY reminiscent of a closing scene in the movie Titanic.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/11/article-1319635-0B928405000005DC-81_634x393.jpg

Remember?  The one with the entire cast applauding from the top of the stairs all around? ...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #44 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:39 AM »
It does indeed, Rob.

And the main BBC news at 18.30 tonight managed to broadcast to the entire nation that QE "is to replace the current QE2"...  ::)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #45 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:46 AM »
She is referred to as an "Ocean Liner" in the Cunard vid. So obviously she was designed and built specifically for line voyages...
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010, 12:51 AM by Chris »

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #46 on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:14 AM »
Thanks for the links and information on today's ceremony.  The ship naming was mentioned briefly on the local 11PM news here in Albany, NY tonight and they also showed footage of HM The Queen at the ceremony. I like knowing that there's a liner named Queen Elizabeth out there in the world somewhere.  And yes, the photo does look like the scene from the movie Titanic.   :)
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #47 on: Oct 12, 2010, 08:05 AM »
It does indeed, Rob.

And the main BBC news at 18.30 tonight managed to broadcast to the entire nation that QE "is to replace the current QE2"...  ::)

Peter - The BBC could well be right!

After all - "if I was Cunard", in needing to keep up with the standards and reputation set by QE2
Wouldn't she be the best possible act to follow!
She was the one that kept Cunard afloat - She is the one they owe everything to
And if Cunard would help her new owners to bring her back home
then Cunard's reputation would soar as high as that of their most famous ship in the world!

QE2 will last far, far longer than any other ship - by the way, does anyone know the predicted length-of-life of a Vista ship yet?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #48 on: Oct 12, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Brief video clip of the naming ceremony
and link to more images (Pre-decked!) taken by Peter Knego
Thanks to Maritime Matters
http://maritimematters.com/video/

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2010, 12:02 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #49 on: Oct 12, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Well done John !!
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #50 on: Oct 12, 2010, 10:47 PM »
The problem is, Twynkle, that the BBC gave the impression that the QE2 was still in service though - I We wish!
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010, 10:49 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #51 on: Oct 13, 2010, 02:14 PM »
  From The Mirror
by John Honeywell
http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/10/queen-elizabeth-cunards-newest.html

Im in agreement l really need to get back for a proper root around, what l saw l did like, but l needed more time to see more of the ship, the preview tour was much to short, and could have been handled much better, granted it was rushed but with hindsight the logistics of getting everyone onboard in the very short time allowed just didnt work (well for me anyway), Im not best at being rushed at the best of times.

It was however a very good move on behalf of Cunard to get everyone onboard and hearded into lunch for the Welcome speech by Shanks and the new Captain before being advised the goodie bags would stop being handed out at 1430. It would have been nice if they had at least provided a bag.

Lunch was a very "easy" one to prepare for the masses, And one that could be speeded up or slowed down as required, was this an attempt to keep us all together? The oval tables l don't care for at all, but l suppose take up less space than the round ones, and how the waiting staff appeared from out of no where, l thought was simply amazing.
The bust of Her Majesty did outshine But l likened it to a draq queen, a bit too much overdone with the new look.
 And while l did cancel my mini 5 nighter months ago, l have no regrets in doing that, But this single supplement needs to be addressed if Cunard wish to keep the passengers happy, But this Queen grabbed me in a way the previous two never did. And that's something l need to get my head around...

Online Twynkle

« Reply #52 on: Oct 14, 2010, 07:51 AM »
Yes - Well done, John!

Here are Mr Shanks' thoughts about QE's Naming Day
http://wearecunard.com/

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:33 PM »
The Naming Ceremony day was spectacular...it truly was...Cunard pulled out all the stops and made it a truly memorable moment in time.

On arrival at Southampton the porter opened the car door for us which was a nice start to the day and we were directed up to the departure lounge....didn't have to wait too long before boarding the ship...and of course the bellboys were there resplendent in their uniforms to welcome us aboard....Thomas Quinones was there to welcome us and it was great to see a familiar face from Qe2....we then were directed to the temporary cloakroom outisde the card room and then made our way on a self guided tour. It was hard though to think we were on a new ship as she is so similar to the Queen Victoria in many ways....
We could not quite believe that the onboard shop was open for business  in port!! This must be a first and of course we had to oblige ...but sadly had to carry the shopping bag for the rest of the day as the onboard cloakroom would not accept any bags due to security...and of course the bag burst and so a panic to find more paper bags as by this time the shop had closed....never a dull moment!  We didn't have time to see around the entire ship....The Queens room, the yacht club midships bar Carinthia etc and some cabins including the large suite on Deck 7...i loved the jacuzzi bath buy the window!! What luxury.....the beds looked so luxurious and comfy all plumped up with cushions and luxurious satin bedspreads all ready for her first passengers..  Some parts of the ship we were not so keen on..but you cannot have 100%..In the main she is a lovely cruise ship...she is not the QE2 ( sadly) but in her own right I am sure she will become loved and liked by her passengers in the years to cme.

We then proceeded to the Queen room for a champagne reception prior to lunch where speeches were made By Cpt Wells and then Sir Ben Kinglsey Patron of the Princes Trust,.,, we met very many familiar faces from Qe2 and QV which was great and it was a lovely party atmosphere filled with excitement about what was to come......

We then headed to the Britannia restaurant upper level for lunch...and to be honet its the best food I have EVER had on board ship....the lamb was cooked to perfection...and the dessert was gorgeous...so fruity and lovely....the menu I will attach a pic of below but the writing on it was VERY small...strangely enough the menu did not mention the naming ceremony nor HM The Queen on it which we thought a bit strange as normally they are specialy printed with that on it..the date was on it but just headed GALA LUNCH....cost cutting perhaps???  The invitation also did not have printed on it that this was in fact a duty to be performed by HM The Queen.....no gold tassels either...lovely thick waffle paper and beautifully printed...but no gold tassels!!

All too soon it was time to disembark and make our way to the naming ceremony grandstand,.  We had a fabulous seat just behind Sir Ben Kingsley and saw alll of the Celebs present with the exception of Alan Whicker and Mavis and Derek from Coronation street.  There was Judith Chalmers Esther Rantzen Carol Vorderman Robert Powell Alan Titchmarsh to name but a few....

The ship looked magnificent on her special day,...the Royal Standard was flying on her mast...but somehow looked as though it had slipped down as was just visible above the superstructure.....the BOTTLE was ready and mounted to be smashed on her hull at that very special moment we were all waiting for.....

The scene set was magnificent with a domed area at each end decked in swags of red gold and blue...the Royal box to the left and to the right the huge stage which by now was occupied by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and Chorus  ..The entire Arena was covered in blue with the Cunard Crown and lion...it was pretty spectacular...           The the gate opened and the massed bands of the Coldstream Guards AND Scots  and Irish Guards marched in ....it was stirring stuff.......After Zadok the Priest the gates opened  and her Majesty's cars came in stopping at the Royal Box...she was in BLUE!! I was right!! Everyone was upstanding and turned to face Her Majesty as  The National Anthem struck up .....then once seated a  welcome speech from Peter Shanks...he certainly felt proud on that day....it was visible to everyone...and rightly so...It was a day to remember... then the pipers played from the lookout on the ship.AMAZING GRACE...with Leslie Garratts wonderful voice ...it was so lovely....then the Bishop of Winchester blessed the ship and the moment had come   Capt Wells stood up and invited Her Majesty to name this wonderful ship....and she did so in style...of course....the bottle obliterated to cheers and fanfare,,.confetti cascaded over the ship and she had been christened,....a moment to treasure....The fanfare trumpet of the Irish Guards boomed out over the Arena...it was all over....the ship has been christened now...it was almost time to go....what a day...but not after Land of Hope and Glory of course!!  HM was then presented with a posy by one of the schoolchildren present who were all dressed in bellboy uniforms to give out programmes on the day....they were so very cute.  Everyone was upstanding again for her Majesty to leave...
It all seemed so very short....
We all got ready to leave which took quite a long time and met yet many more familiar faces...it was a truly wonderful day for us...en route to the exit we were all presented with a lovely hard back  book about the ship with messages of congratulations etc in it and pictures of the interiors of the ship etc,,,,a lovely keepsake.,  

All in all it was a wonderful day ..one i will remember for a very long time...we were privelaged indeed to be able to  attend.

A few pics of the day...
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010, 01:53 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #54 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:39 PM »
some more pics of the day

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #55 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:40 PM »
and a few more

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #56 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:46 PM »
the programmes menus etc

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #57 on: Oct 16, 2010, 02:54 PM »
some more pics of the day

Great reporting of the day Cruise Princess.  The spiper in your pic of the lookout looks like its at least the same gal who played onshore and onboard QE2 at her last call in Queensferry.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010, 02:57 PM by highlander0108 »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #58 on: Oct 16, 2010, 04:34 PM »
It is the same girl....she plays for most ships calling in Scottish ports as well we see heer loads of times.  Louise Marshall Millington,.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #59 on: Oct 16, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Some great photos there, and abviously a great day out and a great story of a unique event and loads of pomp and ceremony
Did all the celebs go to the lunch as well? did you see them touring the ship?