Author Topic: 1967 QE2 Jigsaw no 1 - The Cruising QE2 - Have a go!  (Read 24718 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
1967 QE2 Jigsaw no 1 - The Cruising QE2 - Have a go!
« on: Aug 30, 2010, 05:23 PM »
A beautiful 1967 original QE2 jigsaw came into my possession recently and I decided to sell it on eBay, since I'm broke.  Ethical me decided not to use "my position" to try to boost its sales, and I also didn't want you all to start fighting over it.

Its sold now, and has gone to a very good home, but if you want to see it, here's a link to the photos in our gallery

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=28

The funny thing is, I had to MAKE the blooming thing to check it was OK and had no missing pieces - it took AGES!  The sky and the "undergrowth" will live on on my mind for quite a while!!

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2020, 01:33 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Cruise_Princess

Re: 1967 Jigsaw
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Rob..I have had that jigsaw fr years..I saw it on ebay....must have been yours....must dig mine out,,..

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2010, 01:25 AM »
Rob for what its worth these do crop up on ebay more than perhaps we realise, l bought one about 8 years ago for only a few pounds, the jigsaw was still in the bag unopened the seller had it listed wrongly iv seen them go for as much as £40 then again they can go for only a few pounds. As we know there is no rhyme or reason with ebay as to what things go for.

On the subject of not using your position that is to be commended!!! But had you perhaps mentioned it you might have raised a lot more for it and it would have been a way of giving you a boost!! Im  always tempted to thrust something into your hands, But lm never sure how you would take it... :-X

But next time you visit l must show you a recent purchase, the seller hadnt a clue about it, put it up at a buy it now l was there at the right time,only a few minutes after she listed it, bought it then she emailed asking did l want to buy another one, which l did for a stupidly low price and she emailed again with another item which l snapped at!! In all my 10years of ebaying l have never  seen these 3 items before, and iv seen/sold a lot of QE2 stuff over the years.....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Just in case you did not manage to track down the pictures in our ever growing gallery of memorabilia, here they are.

The box :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCF1197.JPG

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCF1199.JPG

... complete with that lovely logo!

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_2010-08-26_11_40_33.jpg

The completed masterpiece!

Great to see and use these items so closely connected with the QE2 history (in this case, anticipating her history at sea, before she had even set sail with her passengers for the first time!).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54 PM »
For those of you interested, there is one of these on eBay just now going for a bargain price!
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161033149568
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:53 PM »
Thanks to very generous Rob, I have come into possession of this jigsaw too, and over the Christmas break, four of us had a wonderful time assembling it. My Mum, Pia and I (the QE2 travellers) were joined by my nephew Sebastian, who turned out to be a champion jigsaw puzzler.

Between the four of us, it took us four evenings to complete it.

Here are the first few pictures :

QE2 jigsaw by seikinsou, on Flickr

Sorting the pieces by seikinsou, on Flickr

Queen Elizabeth 2 Cunard by seikinsou, on Flickr

The ship is almost ready by seikinsou, on Flickr

Getting closer by seikinsou, on Flickr

We have meanwhile finished the jigsaw, and it was a real pleasure -- thank you, Rob! In the meantime, we have started another one, a 19th century painting, which is giving us much more trouble...

I would be more than happy to send this jigsaw on its way too!

Any takers, please let us know :) .

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Hi Isabelle - All good wishes for 2014 and congratulations on fitting together the new QE2 jigsaw and for posting the pictures.  I would love to get on the list for this one too.  Perhaps we could gather some names over here who would like to have a go at it, and then QE2 could do another Atlantic crossing.  Perhaps Rod ?  Have a great day !  June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:21 PM »
I notice it's from the same manufacturer and is the same size and in the same style of the circulating jigsaw; are the two part of a series?  There could be more out there like these two?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I notice it's from the same manufacturer and is the same size and in the same style of the circulating jigsaw; are the two part of a series?  There could be more out there like these two?

The two definitely belong together, and it was lovely to have been able to assemble both.

Here are some pictures of the final outcome :

QE2 jigsaw completed by seikinsou, on Flickr

Mysteriously, this jigsaw had an extra piece! I wonder where it might be missing...

All pieces there by seikinsou, on Flickr

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Hi Isabelle - Thank you for posting pictures of the new QE2 jigsaw.  It is beautiful and definitely belongs with the other.  As Peter mentioned, I wonder if there are more in the series ? An extra piece - perhaps it is a "spare part" !  Thanks for sharing !  June

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:29 PM »
I could have sworn someone on here said there were 3 in this series, however it seems to me it would make sense to have just two - indicating the dual-purpose nature of this revolutionary new ship - cruising and crossing.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:14 PM »
I could have sworn someone on here said there were 3 in this series, however it seems to me it would make sense to have just two - indicating the dual-purpose nature of this revolutionary new ship - cruising and crossing.

Hi Rob - Could very well be that there are two.  These two do represent the cruising and crossing.  Were there later jigsaws issued by Cunard for QE2 ?  June

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Hi Rob - Could very well be that there are two.  These two do represent the cruising and crossing.  Were there later jigsaws issued by Cunard for QE2 ?  June

I seem to remember jigsaws in the Ocean Bookshop. But as I never went in for QE2 souvenirs very much (until I relented a bit at the very end...), I cannot recall what they were like -- except perhaps that they were very small. Somewhere in our family we also have a QE2 pack of cards.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Thanks, Isabelle, for more info.  June

« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Thank you, June, for putting in your bid for the jigsaw! I shall be able to send it off towards the end of the month.

Rod, would it be a good idea to "volunteer" for this one too? We still need a photo of you with the puzzle... :) .

Anyone else ready to give it a try on this side or that of the Atlantic / Pacific / Indian Ocean?

QE2 Tribute Video, 1967-2007

Started by ChrisBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 15
Views: 5963
Last post Jul 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
by Chris
British Pathe Video: Select Originals Launching Of The Q4 1967 (44917 and 44918)

Started by Bob C.Board QE2 build film footage/videos

Replies: 5
Views: 2792
Last post Feb 12, 2017, 08:13 PM
by Rob Lightbody
'At the QE2 launch 1967' - silent video footage on YouTube

Started by TwynkleBoard QE2 build film footage/videos

Replies: 7
Views: 2740
Last post May 04, 2014, 09:44 PM
by Twynkle
Cunard Q4/QE2 Press Releases 1967/68