Author Topic: A Picture Of Queen Mary Being Built  (Read 13838 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: A Picture Of Queen Mary Being Built
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Amazing photos.  The quality of the black and white photos is very good, particularly when you think how long ago it was since they were taken.  It must have been quite a experience to see her being moved down the River Clyde accompanied by the tugs. It is no wonder so many people lined the banks of the Clyde to watch this spectacle. Not only was she a magnificent ship but for many Clydeside workers the completion of this ship marked the end of "the depression" years when they were out of work and had experienced great poverty. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Pictures Of Queen Mary Being Built
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2011, 10:16 AM »
An old photo I have in my collection of the Queen Mary in the fitting out bay in Clydebank.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline No 736

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:40 PM »
A nice view Lynda and her lines never fail to impress.
Steve S.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I have to admit it is a favourite photo of the Queen Mary, mainly because of the angle the photo was taken from which gives an indication of the size of the ship. 

I think the photo was taken when she was ready to leave John Brown's but I am not sure as there is not a date on the back of the photo.   
www.qe2event.com

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Can anyone explain why the QM and QE's hulls were lauched with a whitish paint (at least looks that way in the B&W photos) and later painted with the familiar Cunard queen's livery in the fitting out basin?  And, as a follow-on, why QE2 was launced in the black, red and white paint scheme?

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Bob

Queen Elizabeth had a black hull for her launch whereas, as you say, Queen Mary was grey / white. I am intrigued why this should be so too. A few years earlier Olympic was launched with a white hull and it was said that was to aid photography (!?) while her sister Titanic was launched a year later and she had a black hull!

Michael

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I think it is to aid photography because official works photographs of brand new railway locomotives were often done in grey paint as well, and that is the reason quoted for those.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2011, 11:56 PM »
Stunning photos of the Queen Mary. I like the top one from the air. The first two funnels are in place and you can see the placing for where the third one was to go.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Queen Elizabeth had a black hull for her launch whereas, as you say, Queen Mary was grey / white. I am intrigued why this should be so too.

I forgot about QE being painted with a black hull for launch.  I think I was recalling her color when she made the dash for the US where she had a light color paint quicly appied.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/xu/um_752/Mauretania-Normandie-Queen_Mary-Queen_Elizabeth.jpg   

You can see the black hull paint showing through the stripped off lighter paint on the bow near the waterline.

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Bob

Queen Elizabeth had a black hull for her launch whereas, as you say, Queen Mary was grey / white. I am intrigued why this should be so too. A few years earlier Olympic was launched with a white hull and it was said that was to aid photography (!?) while her sister Titanic was launched a year later and she had a black hull!

Michael

The Olympic was the first in her class of ships and The Queen Mary was the first built out of the two Cunarders. Perhaps with the first build, the company are so keen to show her off on her launch that they paint the ship white to attract more publicity. Also, the white hull helps photography.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Maritime Matters posted this image of the construction of Hull No. 534 today - the anniversary of her keel plates being laid on 27th December 1930.
http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/history/const.html

bobso

« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Very interesting posts/photo's that have been posted. I have a DVD in my collection in both Black and White and COLOUR that shows the Queen Mary at John Browns and then going down the Clyde for the first time. It also shows her getting stuck and the Black smoke comming from her funells as it and the tugs tried freeing her from the mud. Must get it out and watch it again.

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Some stunning photos of a stunning ship. I often was told by my late grandad on how he went to see the launch of the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth when he was just a kid. He also went to see the launch of the QE2. That was one of the perks of living in the Glasgow area and he used to travel every year on the steamers with his dad, mum and brothers.

Picture of 736 Club?

Started by Bob C.Board Passenger Areas

Replies: 17
Views: 10916
Last post Apr 03, 2018, 04:41 AM
by Scott Ebersold
Old Ship Picture Galleries

Started by pete cainBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 3103
Last post Feb 26, 2013, 05:36 PM
by pete cain
QE2 picture -- where is she?

Started by bobsoBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 7
Views: 1431
Last post Sep 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
by cunardqueen
Art Nouveau Style Embossed Leather picture (Heritage Trail)

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Artwork and Heritage on board QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 560
Last post Oct 18, 2018, 08:51 AM
by Michael Gallagher
Profile Picture

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 1421
Last post Feb 14, 2011, 04:21 PM
by Janice Naylor