Author Topic: Crew Accommodations and other areas  (Read 8928 times)

Online Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Lido Diner
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
Re: Crew Accommodations and other areas
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:25 AM »
I had an old pax cabin on 5 deck forward. 5525 i think. Single room with en suite, had some good times in there

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Excellent topic giving us an insight into the Crew accommodation and other crew areas.  Have a read from the first post https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=2303.msg25389#msg25389 and share your memories of the crew areas. 

Beardy Rich gave an interesting response to Twynkle's questions

I'd guess the youngest crew members would have been in their late teens/early twenties. I was 25 when I joined the ship. I think it would have been the first time away from home for many of the new recruits, myself included, though for some of the 'old hands' who'd previously worked on the other Queens, it wasn't just a job, more a way of life and some had spent many years away at sea. Incidently, the personnel manager at Cunard in South Western House was a guy called............... wait for it.............. John Brown (I kid you not).

I certainly felt homesick at times, I think most of us did at some point, though we couldn't do anything about it.
One of the things we all used to look forward to was to receive our mail when in port. I suppose it's easier now with the internet/emails etc.
I never once saw any crew member be sick as a result of the motion of the ship, too much beer.... yes!!!

I believe Cunard asked for a volunteer crew to man the ship for the trip down to the Falklands, a family friend went and after he returned, showed us his medal with pride.

Things to do onboard.... there was a nightclub called 'Castaways', but this only really appealed to certain members of the crew. Some of us had TV/video in our cabins. My best mate had a TV and video set up so some of us used to call round at his for a few beers and watch something. There was also a crew cinema but I only ever went once and saw 'Splash'.
I did a bit of Karate in the gym, after finding that one of the Asst Mech's had been an instructor with someone I used to train with when I was in my teens, that was quite fun for a time. At other times, it was sometimes nice to go aft and nip outside on 2-deck for a bit of fresh air. On the cruises especially, there would sometimes be crew parties there too.
On the first cruise I ever did, up to the North Cape and the Norwegian Fjords, one of the guys got some fishing gear out and I heard later that he's hauled up a 23lb cod which I believe was cooked by some of the Chinese crew. I bet it tasted good too!   

Forget to mention there was also the P. O's Club, which was really just another 'Pig'. Lots of crew used to enjoy listening to music too, as the Sony Walkman had recently come out.

Have a look at the crew areas pictures in the Gallery Do you have any pictures that you could add?
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2018, 08:17 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online skilly56

« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2018, 03:42 AM »
Nope! Wasn't me!

Skilly

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Looking back the crew areas was no luxury but I would go back to do it all again

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Nope! Wasn't me!

Skilly

Sorry Skilly.  Do’nt know how I managed to get the wrong name. It was Beardy Rich who had answered the questions.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Looking back the crew areas was no luxury but I would go back to do it all again

The accommodation does look a bit sparse for the crew, in comparison to the passenger areas.  But any time I have spoken to ex QE2 crew on Cunard ships, they say that there was a lot of friendship on QE2 and they say they miss the ship.   
www.qe2event.com

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2018, 12:59 PM »
The Security Officer's cabin on QE2 was a mix of 'opulence' and basic.

It had originally been the Social Hostesses cabin and was designed for her to store all her ball gowns with their multiple underskirts, or whatever you ladies called them.
As such it had two huge wardrobes, more than enough for a mere man!

Then just prior to me joining in 2000 the incumbents had the cabin slightly changed in that they organised an upgrade to the bunk bed, from a single to a 3/4 double, but still with 4 huge double size drawers. In addition, this created another large storage area - ideal for my opposite numbers golf clubs - under the back of the bed!
To further enhance our already massive storage capacity, we also 'commandeered' a redundant cleaning locker next to the cabin door in the corridor outside. This we used to store the uniforms of the 'on leave' Security Officer to save carting suitcases of uniforms home, and back again, for no reason.
One dry dock, 'we' decided that the cabin needed an upgrade, so as i was on board at the time it was left to me to complete. Being friendly with the Bremmerhaven shipyard and some of the sub contractors, i was able to get the cabin painted, the lighting replaced for more 'romantic' style and a new carpet. It was actually a 'continuation' of the carpet that was being laid on the 1 Deck corridor!!

Some of the crew cabins i visited during a mixture of crew cabin rounds and Security related visits, showed just how 'house proud' some crew members were. Staying within the fire regulations a lot of crew members were incredibly imaginative in their style of decoration, after all for them it was their home for anything up to a year, so why not make it as comfortable as possible.
As was always said in the British military; 'Any fool can be uncomfortable'!

Offline Vincent Scriven

• The Good Times
  • QE2 Crew member
  • Lido Diner
  • My Dear Brother Tony Spec Cook
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2021, 02:00 PM »
Story has it; The crew Accommodations by the Doby Arms was The Cooks Cabins , but the Vibration was bad, so the Cooks moved further up the Alleyway The Doby Arms was a small bar ,was a laundry, The Gloryhole looked after are rooms and the Hand Bag was placed up from the Deck Head for Crew Appreciation Ha any pics, but who carried a Camera around with them sneaking a quick bevvy
This was before MBP :)

Gay passengers and crew

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 6
Views: 2258
Last post Aug 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
by cunardqueen
Re: Where can you access Merchant Navy Crew Records?

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 4
Views: 757
Last post Oct 28, 2020, 12:59 PM
by Twynkle
The best place to share your QE2 Crew memories.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 9
Views: 3742
Last post May 23, 2014, 09:56 PM
by Adam Hodson
Sleeping with crew

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 38
Views: 7935
Last post Sep 03, 2020, 11:20 PM
by Andy Holloway
Crew members - Names on the forum