Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: D Stairway  (Read 9903 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: D Stairway
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Michael's photos are truly spectacular and such a wonderful memory of our beloved QE2, who as Lynda has said was a thoroughly modern lady !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:43 AM »
I am so glad that Michael systematically took all these pictures! Makes it easy to wander down those stairs again, deck by deck, and remember how we used to do it...

I shall look for my own photos of this stairway and add them here too :) .

Offline Adrian

• Pavillion Snacker
  • QE2- Transatlantic in December 2005
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:13 AM »
This is the only photo of a Stairway that I have- sorry don't remember which stairway-

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Awesome, Adrian !

Do you have any other QE2 photos ?

June   :)

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:09 PM »
That is an excellent photo. I love the QE2 officers looking up at the camera:) -- wonderful catch!

It could have been A Stairway, with the Wardoorm leading off it...

Offline harev

« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:33 AM »
From 2001 World Cruise
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015, 05:37 AM by harev »

« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Great pictures, harev!

And they remind us of the various stairs all over the ship (and the wonderful "Welcome Home" sign too)...

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Looking at these photos - it feels like home to me!!
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline cameroa

« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2015, 01:43 PM »
Absolutely stunning photographs Harev, thanks for sharing. That colour of the carpets was hideous and never my favourite, it looked like a cheap job lot.   
Can anyone shed light on why they put the dark green colour carpet with a Holly design in the Golden Lion Pub?

Angus.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Marvelous photos, harev !  Thank you very much for sharing them with us !  If only we could all be aboard again !  June   :)

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:08 PM »
  Can anyone shed light on why they put the dark green colour carpet with a Holly design in the Golden Lion Pub?

...and some might ask why even have a pub on QE2, it was one of the places l simply hated and avoided it like the plague, and when there was a football match showing on TV it was simply hell on earth, or worse  when it was Karaoke.
  Day time was slightly better and only then because it was known affectionaly as "Basils Bistro"
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 02:36 AM »
For what its worth, I just noticed that Stairway D is the one passenger stairway with the most direction changes and therefore probably the most confusing on the ship- I can't speak to the crew stairways.  Here's what I mean:

Starting on Boat Deck and heading down to Five Deck staying on the port (left) side of the ship, the stairs spiral down clockwise until One Deck.  Keeping to port when reaching One Deck, one must turn left 90 degrees and walk past the elevators (lifts) to the continued descending stairs that now spiral counter/anti-clockwise until Four Deck, with a decor transition from Three to Four Deck (1st class to tourist class transition).  At the Four Deck landing, there is a choice: 1) turn right 90 degrees and continue down to Five Deck in a very narrow stairway that now reverses direction to a clockwise spiral or turn left 90 degrees, walk a few feet toward the stairway exit and take the stairs to the left to Five Deck that continue in a counter/anti-clockwise spiral.

Since Stairway D's stairs are mirrored on the starboard (right) side, one would proceed in the opposite manner to the above except at the Four Deck landing.  A 90 degree left turn there would take you down the starboard side narrow stairway but a right turn would require crossing over to the port side to continue down to Five Deck since the stairs here are not mirrored down to Five Deck.

Confused?  So was I trying to figure this out.  Have some fun solving the puzzle as I did with clues from your memory, deckplans and the photos of D Stairway on the Forum!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:01 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 02:02 AM »
I have been looking for a QE2 virtual walk through similar to the ones on the web for Titanic.  Having not found one I decided to experiment with building one.  My "keel block" is one of my favorite places on QE2 which is Stairway D From Five Deck to Three Deck - see the attached photos.

I'm building this model in the original 1969 decor and using Google Sketchup (online version) which has limited colors and textures but has a walkthough feature although it's very rough and jerky.  If anyone knows of better software for such a task, please let me know.

There are approximately 15 hours of work in this simple block of stairs - some of that time is taken up by my learning Google Sketchup on the fly and the remainder of the time is the due to the complexity of this stairway!  Have a look.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 02:16 AM »
I just took a side-by-side comparison screen shot so judge for yourselves on the accuracy - at least geometrically. (I'm still working on handrails)

The photo on the left was taken on the farewell cruise to Dubai in 2009 and looks down from Four Deck towards Five Deck on the port (left) side set of steps.  These stairs are not mirrored on the starboard (right) side.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:34 AM by Bob C. »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 02:35 AM »
Great modelling. I would recommend downloading the fully fledged, free version of Sketchup (not Pro as that has features you won't need and is eye-wateringly expensive) as it will perform better than any web based 3D modeller (relatively speaking). I presume the online version of Sketchup also uses the .skp file format so your file should open without issues? The fully fledged version of Sketchup isn't owned by Google anymore, but is much the same as it was a decade ago when I was using it a reasonable bit but at a basic level. Sketchup is used by architects so it's probably your best bet without shelling out for expensive rivals/equivalents.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 04:19 PM »
My goodness Bob, good effort there!

It is sad that there are so many people obsessed with that one "ship that sank".  They wouldn't even have heard of her, were it not for the disaster.  So many other ships are of more interest, and would make far more interesting models.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2020, 11:21 PM »
Ah yes 'D'  stairway, I've had more 'differences of opinion'  with passengers there, on disembarkation, than I care to think about. They were mainly caused by people not reading disembarkation instructions, listening to announcements and/or remembering their luggage tag colour! Ah those 'good old days'!