Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth On Sea Trials  (Read 9383 times)

Offline highlander0108

Queen Elizabeth On Sea Trials
« on: Aug 14, 2010, 03:50 PM »
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
She's out at sea, running back and forth, at times at about full speed of 23 knots.  :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there has been no media hype about this, unlike when QM2 was out doing the very same thing.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Queen Elizabeth On Sea Trials
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I think for first trials they wait until there's no problems!   I bet there's coverage later on... (from Cunard anyway!).

But for QM2 - that really was a news event - she'd been. what, 7 years in the planning or something?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2010, 09:39 PM »
She's out at sea, running back and forth, at times at about full speed of 23 knots

Those youngsters just can't keep up with their elders...... ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Hopefully the following isn't repeated on the new Queen Elizabeth.
Perhaps the main problem for QV passengers who are interested in both seeing where they are going, as well where they've 'been' is the fact that there are so very few places where there are views to be had without looking through smoked glass. At the bow the glass is positioned at an angle. With a gap of about 2 inches between glass and steel railing, it makes it extremely difficult for photography, as well as satisfactory views - usually of what would otherwise be an exceptionally interesting experience.  Hope that during her refit this might be rectified - although it's difficult to see how this could be done!
Having just come back from the Baltic where there was so much to see, I missed the ease of which it all was shown to us by QE2 - immensely.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2010, 10:09 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2010, 12:20 AM »
In that photo, it looks like they haven't finished painting the portside yet?

{ Pssstt.... Mickey.... You've missed a bit... } ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:41 PM »
That photo looks as though the Starship Enterprise has landed on top of a block of flats. Hang-on... let me fetch my specs.
Oh yes, I can see it clearly now. It IS the Starship Enterprise on a block of flats!!!

Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2010, 05:11 PM »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Still out at sea.  At one point I saw 24.6 knots, which is the predicted top speed if I remember correctly.  There were car ferries in the area, the Superfast, for instance, making better speed at 25.1 knots.  :o  The Marine AIS site had this updated picture of her, with all the protective plastic removed from the glazing and the hull is one solid color.  I think she looks darn good now :o
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?mmsi=232089000

Rosie, the exposed exhausts are now painted out, similar to her sistership.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2010, 05:31 PM by highlander0108 »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Hi Ken
Thanks for keeping an eye on her!
Do you think she might have clear glass on her top-most decks (instead of 'smoked' as on qV)?
Looks like it from your image - or maybe they haven't fitted any glass yet... :(
What do you think of her stern?
Rosie

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I think she looks darn good now   

Ken
You mean she didnt look good before ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2010, 11:50 AM »
S'pose she looks ok for yet 'another' standard cruise ship..direct from the mould ...........can't expect her to have the genes of a liner.....???   

Sure wish she did... it would be much more acceptable to Cunard's lineage...this  type of ship just doesn't fit into what Cunard are trying to market. and I just WISH they could see that,..no matter how  much they fill the interior with memorabilia or art deco reproductions  from the liners of the 30s and 40s.

She is  totally acceptable as  a CARNIVAL product ....not a CUNARD one.

I wonder how many more are due to be churned out over the next few years..?    ...it seems to be routine now....all the same ....like a conveyor belt.......not  special  any more....those days are long gone.....probably not even made to order....it's ' noticeably ' from the High Street!     (Probably  even a BOGOF )  ( Buy one get one free!)  LOL!!!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2010, 11:45 PM »
What do you think of her stern?
I've learned that responding to a question about a lady's posterior is bound to get you in trouble no matter what you say.   ::)

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2010, 08:51 AM »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I see that the thing above the bridge is sort of transparent, so doesn't look quite as awful as it did on the artists impressions.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2010, 11:42 AM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Surely someone as beautiful as QE2 CANNOT possibly have a relation this ugly....a touch of the NCL Epic genes me thinks....

That's all I'm saying on this  subject
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010, 11:52 AM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2010, 01:06 PM »
I see that the thing above the bridge is sort of transparent, so doesn't look quite as awful as it did on the artists impressions.

Rob, here's a better view of the "cap" that is unique to "QE3" which is the covering to the sports deck.  I cropped it for a better view of the bridge area.
http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/1172810/Ship+Photo+Queen+Elizabeth.JPG

What also can be seen is the red Tyfon horn on the foremast, and a large and small Tyfon on the funnel.  It will be interesting to hear what she sounds like.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2010, 01:09 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Surely someone as beautiful as QE2 CANNOT possibly have a relation this ugly....a touch of the NCL Epic genes me thinks....

That's all I'm saying on this  subject

Sorry, but that really is not a fair comparison.  If you ever get to see the Epic in person, I think you will agree that QE3 looks absolutely stunning by comparison.  ;D  Even her lifeboats are neatly tucked into the hull design! 

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Rob, here's a better view of the "cap" that is unique to "QE3" which is the covering to the sports deck.  I cropped it for a better view of the bridge area.
http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/1172810/Ship+Photo+Queen+Elizabeth.JPG

What also can be seen is the red Tyfon horn on the foremast, and a large and small Tyfon on the funnel.  It will be interesting to hear what she sounds like.

Having spent time on her sister ship, it's interesting to spot the differences!
The 'red Tyfon horn' is definitely orange on QV, acting both as a warning whistle as well as her foghorn (I think?)
Regarding the fact that passengers can't enjoy a proper 'Bit beneath the Bridge' when calling at, and departing from a port - this  is a significant drawback on a designated cruise ship.  From the image above, it's difficult to tell, but the white surround / 'wall' forward of the sports deck looks potentially as if it could prevent any good views - disappointing for those who are interested in travelling by sea.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010, 08:46 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Sorry, but that really is not a fair comparison.  If you ever get to see the Epic in person, I think you will agree that QE3 looks absolutely stunning by comparison.  ;D  Even her lifeboats are neatly tucked into the hull design! 

I was referring in the main to that thing on top of the bridge it does look sightly epic...I didnt really get much further on looking as that hit me straight in the eye

but i still think she is ugly... but then I think nearly all new cruise ships are ugly...
im just old fashioned as you all know....sorry...I cant help it...I will never like the design.....caused in the main by balconies....they just don't look like elegant ships any more....I'm sure some ships architect out there could get round this somehow.

One that has got away with it to a point are the Disney ships...whilst very pretend they do have a good ocean liner look to them  Cunard could have done something like that.it would have suited them so much better,.even with 2 funnels!!