Author Topic: QE2 Model 1:450 scale - finished at last! [Gunze Sangyo]  (Read 32057 times)

Offline Craig Ligon

Re: QE2 Model 1:450 scale - finished at last! [Gunze Sangyo]
« Reply #100 on: Jan 07, 2020, 04:26 AM »
Hello, new to the forum and looking to finish my own 1/450 Gunze Sangyo QE2.

Does anyone know of a source to have a 3D printed '80s retrofitted funnel/ smoke stack?  The kit supplied funnel is the '70s "pencil" version, and I would prefer the wider funnel from the 1986 refit.  I've considered trying to scratch build it, but in comparing photos, there appears to be enough differences to make this a bit more complicated than my paltry skills would allow. 

I've always loved this ship, and this model has remained in my closet for years awaiting a proper funnel.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this appears to be the most recent modeling thread on this forum.

Thanks,
Craig
“The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”
Winston Churchill

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #101 on: Jan 07, 2020, 05:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Craig! I wish you a lot of success in finishing your model.

You have found the right topic, being the one about the model type you are working on. No topic here is dead, and we are always happy for relevant new ideas to be added to any of them.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #102 on: Jan 07, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum Craig and I hope one of our model builders or enthusiasts can help you to find what you are looking for to build your model with the 80's funnel. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #103 on: Jan 07, 2020, 05:42 PM »
To echo Lynda, welcome Craig, there's much more here than models I hope you take the time to look around.
     Regarding you model, I have seen in the distant past, references to somebody scratchbuilding a fat funel
, not necessarily on this forum, it took me 4 yrs (of mainly winter fits) to complete mine & I was always checking around , I found that, 1/2 the fun.
   The problem then becomes where did I see that bit of info, in all honesty I cannot remember (doesn't help you much -sorry). 
   Surprising what turns up if you just search Gunge/sangyo 1/450 QE2, if I can remember or find anything out I will PM you with the info,     pete..

Actually as a postscript Craig, if you havn't assembled the funnel yet, you could do what the shipyard did when re-engining QE2 & use the original bits but adapted to suit (i/e made fatter),  this could be done with thin plastic sheet available at all model shops. You aren't committed until you start to glue........
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2020, 06:33 PM by pete cain »

Offline Craig Ligon

« Reply #104 on: Jan 07, 2020, 09:37 PM »
All, thanks for the welcome.  I do intend to look around the site a good deal more, as I love the QE2, and I would have loved to sailed on her when she was still doing the trans-Atlantic crossing.  Maybe I will add a night's stay to my bucket list now that she is opening again as a floating hotel.  Alas, I was born too late to really see these liners in their heyday!

Pete, I have considered making a new funnel, but alas, it is all compound curves.  I would spend a lot of time on this, and trying to get it symmetrical may just be too hard for me.  Now that 3D printing has really come to the forefront, I was hoping that someone may just have the plans and have printed some extra parts.  I know I have ordered corrected replacement parts for my 1/200 HMS Hood from someone on Shapeways, and they have been really good quality. 

Anyone know who might have the plans for the '86 funnel?  Option B is to get the plans and have someone with a quality printer print it for me.

How quickly new technology can spoil us!   ;)
Winston Churchill

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #105 on: Jan 08, 2020, 04:06 AM »
Welcome aboard Craig :) ,

I assisted a good shipping friend with constructing the large scale Revell model of QE2 dating from the same period in her life (1972 to 1977) as this Gunze Sangyo model. During construction some glue melted part of the funnel and he had to reconstruct the funnel using sheet styrene. He also altered his model to the correct configuration for the traditional Cunard livery but before the Magrodome was installed and still during the steam era (June 1983 to November 1983) - this necessitated scratch building the QE and QM Grand Suites out of sheet styrene too. The results were excellent so maybe this is an option for you with the post re-engining funnel? I am no modelling expert though!

Here's the link to my friend's forum topic here on this forum:

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=8186.0
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Craig Ligon

« Reply #106 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:16 PM »
Thomas, thanks for the link.  I didn't find this thread before.  Yes, this may have to be the route that I go if I can't find an easier alternative. 
Winston Churchill

QE2 Punch Out Model Book 1969 (Part One)

Started by Cunarder ManBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 11
Views: 1052
Last post Jul 27, 2020, 12:38 AM
by Jeff Mahler
Finished with Engines

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 14
Views: 5626
Last post Apr 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
by Cruise_Princess
Virtual QE2 Model

Started by Bob C.Board QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 122
Views: 6443
Last post May 11, 2021, 08:47 PM
by Rob Lightbody
1/192 scratchbuilt model, work in progress!

Started by matdarkBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 27
Views: 6108
Last post Jan 29, 2016, 09:04 AM
by Lachlan
AIDA lines cruise ship model kit

Started by bobsoBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 1479
Last post May 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
by Barrie Evans