Author Topic: IT AINT AIRFIX !!  (Read 1336 times)

Offline GJ

IT AINT AIRFIX !!
« on: Mar 27, 2016, 03:52 PM »
 Pride of place in my den

Offline GJ

Re: IT AINT AIRFIX !!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2016, 04:09 PM »
 Needs cleaning and i might get a new cover made been in some one loft for a whle  ;)

Offline pete cain

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Looked at this a few times now & got to ask what is wrong with AIRFIX???

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:37 PM »

Nothing as long as it's an older kit from a few years ago when they were still made in the UK.

On the other hand, if we're talking about more recent kits, then speaking from personal experience of helping my son with various aircraft, tanks and - yes - a ship ( Mauretania ) then the quality and attention to detail is unfortunately not what it used to be and quite a lot of parts don't match up properly.  Even had a defective set of instructions with a whole middle page completely missing in one kit and had to e-mail them for a .pdf of the full set; it wasn't even a blank print - there was no blank page; it was literally completely missing!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline GJ

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2016, 11:55 PM »
it was not meant to be offensive  just   A quip sorry if you found it offensive

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2016, 12:50 AM »
it was not meant to be offensive  just   A quip sorry if you found it offensive

I don't imagine for a moment that Pete found it offensive -- I just cannot imagine him taking offense here...   :D

Looking forward to more posts about models -- be they Airfix or not -- while I continue my own long-term conversation with the "Evening at Sea" jigsaw!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Dear GJ, please don't think I was offended here, I wasn't, I was just thinking aloud, you see, many folk have an Airfix model of which they are justly proud, maybe I didn't address my answer correctly at the time ,sorry, we don't do guilt here , life's too short for that, pete
 ;)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:21 PM »
I came back to this topic when searching for Airfix... but now I am intrigued :) .

If it's not Airfix, what is it? Does it have another name? Looks beautiful anyway, and I am in awe of all the skilled and patient modellers here! It is great to follow the results of your efforts from time to time.

GJ, can you tell us something about your model and about your labours in putting it together?