Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth joins Cunard  (Read 2583 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

Queen Elizabeth joins Cunard
« on: Sep 30, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Cunard Line has taken delivery of Queen Elizabeth – the second largest Cunarder ever and the third new liner the company has built in six years.

The Handover Ceremony took place today on board the new 92,400-ton vessel at the Fincantieri Monfalcone shipyard. The event included a speech by Cunard President and Managing Director Peter Shanks. The Italian flag was ceremonially lowered and the Blue Ensign was raised. And so another magnificent Cunard liner will enter the Register of British Shipping.

Peter Shanks commented after the ceremony:

“This ceremony to mark the completion of the ship, and our acceptance of delivery, is just the first of a number of significant events over the next few weeks – including the ship’s official naming by Her Majesty The Queen in Southampton on Monday 11 October. I’m certain the British will take this truly magnificent ship to their hearts, as they have all the Cunard Queens”.

Queen Elizabeth is due to leave the shipyard on 30 September, and sail to Southampton – where she will berth at the Ocean Cruise Terminal on Friday 8 October.

She will depart on her Maiden Voyage at 1700 hours on Tuesday 12 October.

And for those interested... her bridge cam is now online.

Offline andyh

Re: Queen Elizabeth joins Cunard
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:16 PM »
What will she be doing in the next eight days on her way to Southampton, does anyone know?

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Its a secret...we have asked previously.....still awaiting an answer!!!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2010, 10:26 AM »
And no doubt the currency on board this ' so called' BRITISH of BRITISH ships is still the mighty dollar.....( that one really gets me)   what the hell is wrong with  BRITISH sterling????    Over to Carnival Accountants then......

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2010, 06:24 PM »
andyh - if QM2 and QV are anything to go by, the time at sea allows the crew to familiarise themselves with the ship, her systems, and they do a trial run of all services with some crew acting as PAX to see how the services work.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline andyh

« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Thanks Chris, I just thought it seemed a long while, 8 days, to get to Southampton, I don't want her stopping off before hand, for a "mini cruise" before we get on her on the 12th  ;D

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2010, 12:10 PM »
If the new kid on the block is sailing at 5pm from Southampton next week there obviously isnt going to be a firework display??  :( :( All seems a bit low key then........ :-\   We were going to go down to see her sail out but if not much going on its just another ship leaving Southampton.....

Offline Jem

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2010, 01:38 AM »
Read these comments from Maritime Matters, a lot of people are fed up with the Vista's and want classic lines back like QE2. See Rob, maybe at last people realise what's missing??

http://maritimematters.com/2010/09/queen-elizabeth-delivered/
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2010, 12:08 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2010, 09:13 AM »
From Glasgowfella - the comment 'It's a Fiat' is very appealing -
although, my wee Fiat Cinquecento c1973 could outclass QE in style and speed!
Rob - do you know him? ;)
http://maritimematters.com/2010/09/queen-elizabeth-delivered/
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Some great pics on the Cunard blog today showing the handover to Cunard and sailing out.... plus some fab shots of her interiors....

she does look lovely....but of course never a patch on our beloved QE2.....

http://wearecunard.com/

Offline Chris Frame

Re: Queen Elizabeth Bridge Cam
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2010, 03:12 AM »
I've added it here:
http://chriscunard.com/queen_elizabeth_today.php

The QE cam doesn't show the destination like QM2 and QV does.

QM2 and QV cams still come via Princess Cruises whereas QE's is Cunard.

Strange to also see that QM2's cam has the purple band, QV's is Grey and QE's is Black.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Good to see Mr Hamish Sunter  (Deputy Captain) on the Bridge
He spent many years in the same place on board QE2.
Pity there are no images of the Engineers and the ECR!

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2010, 08:25 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Some great pics on the Cunard blog today showing the handover to Cunard and sailing out.... plus some fab shots of her interiors....

she does look lovely....but of course never a patch on our beloved QE2.....

http://wearecunard.com/

Interesting to note that the copper relief in the Grand Lobby is of the original QE and not a rendering of the new ship.

The interiors look good although the furniture in the Commodore Club doesnt look to the same standard as QV. Easily the best space on QV and I'm sure this will apply to QE also.

It must have been some feeling to make that announcement over the tannoy telling your crew that they were now aboard a Cunard Line ship!  :D

Gav

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Nice to see the  wee laddie from Troon raise the flags! 

Lang may her lum reek!

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2010, 07:12 PM »
I love the interiors! The colour is very nice.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2010, 07:24 PM »
With reference to the interior photos, someone said today that if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.  So therefore,
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2010, 08:08 PM »
You can say that again Rob  !!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Not a single reference to QE2,
although very hopefully she'll still be well held in the memories of those who worked on board.

Online Imonlygoingforone

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2010, 02:41 PM »
Some very good friends on that video - good luck to them, I know that it'll be a hard first few months.

No mention of QE2, but I suppose they don't want anything to overthrow their new toy, and who can blame them. I just hope that everything works out well for them, and it doesn't turn into 'Shanks' Pony'..!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Yes - All the very best to everyone working on board
Sounds as if it's been a great deal of hard work already
Hope all goes well.

From The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/oct/10/queen-elizabeth-cunard-cruise-liner

Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 14996
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven
QE2 Launch - Celebration on Queen Mary

Started by CAPBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 1
Views: 1433
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 Get Together (on board Queen Victoria World Cruise 2017).

Started by Michelle PenwardenBoard Past Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1438
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 06:52 AM
by Greg Rudd
P.S. Medway Queen

Started by Bruce NichollsBoard Ships

Replies: 2
Views: 915
Last post Nov 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
TheQE2Story at RMS Queen Mary : Jan 16th 2010