Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth Arrival 8 October 2010  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Cunarder Man

Queen Elizabeth Arrival 8 October 2010
« on: Aug 11, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Call me crazy or just fanatical - to make it three in a row, my wife and I are off on a Blue Funnel vessel at 0500 on Friday 8 October from Ocean Village to see QE arrive into Southampton Water. I was out there for QM2 and QV's arrivals so I felt a 'continuing loyalty' to meet the third and newest Cunarder this Century! However, one must accept that nothing will quite match an arrival of Queen Elizabeth 2.

Any other die-hards out there planned the trip? Hopefully, I'll get my tickets for the tour of QE. Anyone else making a weekend of it - we'll be at the Holiday Inn?

Offline QE2 whistle

Re: Queen Elizabeth Arrival 8 October 2010
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Well Cunarderman we booked flights for the Tuesday to see Elizabeth off on her maiden voyage.  We are flying from Glasgow to Southampton in the morning and home again that night.  After doing that we received the invites for the lunch on board so we are now also booked to fly down on the Saturday morning, Prestwick to Stanstead, (hiring a car) and are staying overnight in the New Forest and then flying home on the Sunday night.  We requested the lunch on the Saturday so are hoping it will happen.  When we hear from Cunard we will let you know and hopefully will see you there.  Unfortunately we have to be at work on the Monday hence the two seperate trips but like you, find it hard to stay away! ::)

jadherrick

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:03 AM »
We travelled to Southampton, from Grimsby for the arrival of the QV. After making my other half get up far too early on the day and stand and wait for over two hours, in the freezing cold!!! he chickened out on the QE. I had applyed for tickets to be part of the naming ceremony.....but have just found out they were given to Diiamond and some Platinium members....no gold with 3 cruises already booked I'm sad to say  (we will be platinum by March 2011) we hope you all have a lovely day....well a few days seeing QE first....I know its a great occation...would have loved to have been there.........Will be there ready for our sailing on the 8th Nov though.................Send our Love

Julie and Gary xxxx
PS did 3 Queens in NY on QM2
next year we are there again this time on the QV.  xxx

Cunard-Jon

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2010, 04:32 PM »
We will be travelling down on the 10th to take up residence in the ship on the 11th i am so looking forward to teh maiden voyage and then we will be back on board for the third trip not long after we are back on from the first one... LOL

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Is there any pictures of QE2's arrival in Southampton?

Like you Cunarder Man I want to show my loyalty when the new Queen Elizabeth is named and is hopefully shown on t.v. Its been a tradition in my house that we watched Queen Mary 2 being named by the Queen. When a Cunard ship has been in the press we have it on tele. I did hear that my Mum, Nan and Aunt watched QE2 on tele when she came back from the Falklands War with the soliders.
And of course QE2's last Southampton departure on Sky News.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2010, 10:59 PM »
Everybody in Britain watched QE2's launch, live... (there was nothing else on, so they had no choice!) and everybody in Britain saw her return from the Falklands - that was just HUGE news - I don't think there's been anything like it since, except maybe Diana's death.

Incidentally, i got an email from Discovery Channel  - they're making a programme about the new QE and were looking for film of the old QE... my email reply isn't really printable - they got me at a bad moment - i asked them why they were comparing the two, and why they were making a film about a ship that was almost identical to one made 3 years ago that they didn't make a film about... and i said some other stuff...  I try to be positive, I really do, but just because Cunard choose THAT name for a ship, it does not make her special.  I feel like the news people are playing right into Cunard's hands.  QM2 deserves umpteen Discovery channel programs, as does QE2 and QE1 but there really is nothing at all groundbreaking about QE the third.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2010, 11:06 PM »
To be fair Discovery did a two part documentary on Queen Mary 2's construction, sea trials and naming. I do agree the new Queen Elizabeth isn't groundbreaking. Unless Discovery are making it because of Cunard's history with QE and QE2?

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Not too long to wait until her arrival, so I would like to know what you think of her, good or bad. (bet she's not a patch on our Queenie)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Has she already left on her delivery trip to Southampton?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2010, 09:49 AM »
We take delivery on Thursday and she sails on Friday.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:35 AM »
Well, that's the same time it took QE2 to take us from Southampton to Civitavecchia, but admittedly that was with a full day in Lisbon, Barcelona and Ajaccio plus a one hour admininstration stop outside Gibraltar whereas QE is, presumably, running non stop...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Taking an awfully long time to reach Southampton....an entire  week..from Italy.....Is she being tugged???  LOL

Obviously speed is not her thing? 

I guess it uphill for the poor thing when she turns right after leaving the Med, And she wont have any passengers so l guess that lessens the load... ;) Lets hope she has a back wind...
I do wonder, might she stop in Gib stock up on the cheap plonk for the preview lunches and Naming ceremony drinks.... Not that lm saying Carnival are tight you understand, It just with all the recent cutbacks in the Cunard White Star service.......

Well, that's the same time it took QE2 to take us from Southampton to Civitavecchia, but admittedly that was with a full day in Lisbon, Barcelona and Ajaccio plus a one hour admininstration stop outside Gibraltar whereas QE is, presumably, running non stop... 

And three days Southampton- Palermo ... those WERE the days ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Queen Elizabeth is not doing it non-stop. She has things to do!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Ok Michael...don't keep us in suspenders...
Wots she doing ????

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Stopping for breath at various stages ;).... if shes going flat out poor thing will be tired LOL
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Notified by Blue Funnel this morning that QE arrival into Southampton will be slightly later than originally planned. We now leave Ocean Village at 0700 and expect to be back in around 0930. Great news - it'll be daylight for those pictures!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2010, 07:41 PM »
She must be stopping off at GIB  for a few crates of  cut price boooooze.......for the passengers to purchase at a great onboard price!!!! ;) ;)

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2010, 07:42 PM »
While Blue Funnel had such an early departure time is a mystery. Queen Elizabeth has always been "alongside at 0930".

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:12 PM »
Would it not have been a good thing if the other 2 sisters or cousins or whatever we wanna call em...were there in Southampton to welcome her???  Would have given Southampton a real boost ...instead of always having the 3 Queens 'meet' in New York all the time  ( The exception  being when QE2 was having a small refit prior to her sale in 2008)..

This would have brought the new ship and Cunard into the limelight....

( We had hope to sail close to the maiden voyage date on one of the Cunarders if not on the maiden voyage...but nothing there as Vikky off on fly cruising and Mary sails from NY on the 12th back to Soton....so we will just  have  to go back home)..........

Offline andyh

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:19 PM »
That would have been a real publicity coup to have had all three Queens together in their home port for the Maiden Voyage of Elizabeth