Author Topic: Queen Victoria - General Discussion  (Read 69696 times)

Offline QueensFan

Re: Queen Victoria
« Reply #120 on: Jul 28, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Hello from on board in Greenock in the champagne bar. Pleasantly suprised! More later...

Join the club!  8) ;D
--- Greg

Offline Alistair

« Reply #121 on: Jul 28, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Don't fall overboard!

Heading down to Greenock for a greasy burger...and....oh yes....see the QV sail away!

Offline maggie maggot

« Reply #122 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Did I post this yesterday or is it my age?!!
Mrs Brown in Liverpool.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2010, 10:06 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #123 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Did I post this yesterday or is it my age?!!
Mrs Brown in Liverpool.

You did -- it's further up in this same thread (page 4).

If you ever want to see where your postings are (because some of them might have been moved... for which apologies!), you can click on your own name, or on the "Profile" button at the top of the page, and then check "Show the last posts of this person" -- and all is revealed!

Isabelle (with my Moderator hat on  8) )

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #124 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:42 AM »
Comments and images of Queen Victoria's call at the Port of Liverpool
These and other images elsewhere  go a long way to show how QE2 could fit in

http://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/421846/1.html

Wishing still that  QE2 could be moored here...bang in the middle of Town!
Wouldn't it meet all her requirements, as well as most of the area's too?
I can remember literally miles of ships parked up bow to stern alongside,
on both sides of the river.

Hello QE2DXB
If you are reading this, do you think it might ever be possible - please?
Perhaps before she goes to Greenock for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow!

PS. To Rob - Here qV is called an iconic Liner - please forgive the mistake!! ;)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #125 on: Jul 29, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Thanks for the link Rosie.  Some of the responses to the article were interesting...

These slab-sided floating boxes are (IMHO) hideous ! Nothing like a "cruise liner" !. They appear to be inherantly unstable. The draught they draw is completely insufficient for the weight/height/area above the waterline.

A real Force 12 sea running in some foreign pond or other, plus the windage...... over she goes ! Maybe a thousand or so folk heading for Davy Jones's Locker whilst trying to get out of their rip-off priced, upside down, pitch black "luxury" coffins/cabins.

No - I'm not a naval architect. I just have a bit of commonsense and an appreciation of basic physics.

One day baby, one day !!! Mark my words. Maybe not this floating block of flats, but a similar buoyant hideousity.You heard it first on wikiwirral ! It would be handy for future historians if Cunard changed its name back to the White Star Line. (Titanic - geddit?)

At least the poster admits they're not a naval architect!   :P  I cannot believe it has been almost 2 years since QE2 made her final call to Liverpool.  :'(
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Alistair

« Reply #126 on: Jul 29, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Hello again.

Just to bookend my post from yesterday.....I went back down to Greenock to see the QV sail off. The esplanade was a bit busier this time. Took me longer to find a parking space! I got to the water's edge just in time to see and hear the Waverley set off. She blew her horn and a few seconds later there was an asthamtic wheeze which was apparently the QV replying!  About 10 minutes later the QV started to slowly move out in reverse. There wasn't a tug in site so she is a very manouverable lady! Seeing her full length with the light reflecting off the cabin windows she was an impressive site. The Waverley headed off down river as if to say..."Follow me. You may be a Queen but not of THIS river!"  Having completed her manouver she was ready to go. Three more asthamtic blasts of her horn later....they need to do somethign about that....she moved off. People around me were laughing. I think they were expecting a chest vibrating wall of sound like they got in October '08. Apart from the horn fiasco the Queen Victoria headed majestically down river. She is an impressive ship.

Alistair

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #127 on: Jul 29, 2010, 03:20 PM »
OK so...  After Giving QV/QE such a hard time, its only fair to give some proper comments after my enjoyable visit yesterday.

Please note that this comes from the viewpoint of someone who is not interested in cruise ships, or cruising, has a lifelong love for the Clydebuilt Cunard Queens, and a respect for the QM2.

I took 2 friends with me.  Both have no interest in ships, or have ever been on a cruise ship - which i always find an interesting counterpoint.  They both made the comment to me, whenever i made any criticism of the ship, that "you have awfully high standards for someone who's unemplyed" and I realised they were right.  I can't afford to go on any cruise any time soon, so felt honoured just to be on board for a few hours and I am very grateful for the chance to see her.

All of the below comments disregard the fact that she's a cruise ship not an Atlantic liner - i tried to just think of the on board experience, which i think its fair to compare to QE2, because it should be as good or better.

Arriving at Greenock cruise terminal, our view was of most of QV, except the front and back.  From this limited angle, I thought she looked very like QM2, but smaller... in fact I didn't really think she looked bigger than QE2 at all even though I know she is higher.  I didn't think she looked bad, just not interesting.  Row upon row of egg-crate balcones.  Just as we were disembarking from the car, QV blew her whistles three long times.  I thought she sounded OK - in fact I thought she sounded better than QM2.  Then I realised that she had been saluting Waverley which was out of our viewpoint.  Waverley responded with three WONDERFUL blasts on her proper steam whistles - even though we couldn't see her, this was still a high point of the day!  At this point I was a bit excited - red funnels, whistles, Cunard, friends, even sunshine - all was good!  (especially after having a crap time recently).

After lengthy security procedures from disorganised security people which took over 40 minutes, we were welcomed on board by 'flagship' who then gave us a lovely tour for a few hours.  Here are some of my reactions.  
1) I thought i'd absolutely *hate* the olde-worlde- interior.  I was prepared to have to firmly bite my tongue. But for some reason i found it much less off-putting when on board, in fact the whole interior seems more modern in the flesh than it does in photos.
2) Brown!  So much so that it upset the 'auto white balance' on my camera.
3) The Plastic decks are just *awful*. Truly dreadful and as far as I can see, unfit for purpose (slippery when wet).
4) She feels no bigger than QE2, in fact she might actually feel slightly smaller.
Passenger corriders felt like those on ferries - very narrow and uninteresting - and the stairways also felt quite steep with shallow steps - although I like the wood veneer and the lots of old ship paintings everywhere.
5) Although far less 'wow' than QM2 inside, she is, I think, nicer.  She has that 'cosy' relaxing feel that QE2 had.
6) The Queens Room is a lovely space, and I felt very much felt like the Grand Lounge on QE2.  I loved the sofas and tables right by the picture windows starboard side.  This would be a lovely place for afternoon tea.  It makes QM2's seem simply too big.
7) The winter garden felt like i'd been plunged into a nursing home.  I'm not even sure if everybody in this room was still alive.
8 ) The Lido was nice, with nice views, and worked well (and tasted good!).
9) The commodore club is superb - the views were simply stunning here, and I can see it would be a brilliant place to sit for afternoon drinks. I liked Hemispheres too, and the nice corridor space between these rooms.
10) The Lido pool deck area was nice, as was the one outside the winter garden.  I was disappointed to learn that the pools aren't seawater though (Michael kindly risked his good suit to check!).
11) I thought the Britannia restaurant looked awful - 80s glitzy gold and mirrors - until Michael explained what the designers had been trying to do with it - they were trying to make it feel like the interiors of a famous 30s railway carriage - i forget the name - he said it was explained in a press release - but its this sort of fact that I love, and can make you love a space.  To understand what they were trying to do.  I think they need a sign explaining this, and to include an explanation of it on the tour!

As we went around, Michael explained what they were changing on Elizabeth, and it all sounded good.  The Yacht Club in particular will be nice, and an excellent place for a TheQE2Story gathering sometime in the future.  My friends were absolutely gobsmacked to learn that Elizabeth would be so similar that some rooms would be identical except for different decor.

We all had a really enjoyable time, and I disembarked thinking she'd be a lovely ship to go a cruise on.  But I don't do cruise holidays!

I would heartily recommend her to someone who enjoyed cruise holidays on QE2.

Two final things - we stayed to watch her leave.  The esplanade was quiet until quite close to 6 when it suddently filled up - i think people knew when she was leaving, and it coincided with the drive home from work.  
She reversed her square stern towards us and then spun neatly around.  As she was doing this, i could hear comments both from my friends and those around us - of disappointment - she's simply ugly/boring to look at.  Simple as that.  I also think some sort of optical illusion makes her look, to me, a lot smaller than QE2.  The snubby bow, combined with the fragile-looking bridge structure just doesn't inspire confidence.

I just wish she'd not been called a Queen.  I can't get over that.  And it makes me unfairly feel disappointed in her, when its not her fault.  Perhaps she should just have been called 'Victoria' and the new one simply 'Elizabeth'.  That might have been nice.  And it might be how I refer to them from now on.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #128 on: Jul 29, 2010, 06:51 PM »
"you have awfully high standards for someone who's unemplyed" and I realised they were right.  I can't afford to go on any cruise any time soon, so felt honoured just to be on board for a few hours and I am very grateful for the chance to see her.

High standards indeed? its only because QE2 spoilt us so much !  She set the standards by which we judge ;D
Mindyou when you do save up your hard earned pennies, l do think you appreciate much more, rather than take things for granted.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #129 on: Jul 29, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Glad you got the opportunity to see Queen Victoria Rob....and you got your own feel of the ship....she really is very nice inside.. and a better size to get around than QM2....she is very comfortable...but I would not choose to sail across the Atlantic on her...that's the job for a real liner.

Offline maggie maggot

« Reply #130 on: Jul 29, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Very good Myles and good that Waverley was able to give you all of you visiting Vicky a whistle. Just don't start me on where was Waverley on QE's 40th and last trip around the UK!!
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 11:32 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #131 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:47 PM »

What a rubbish bit of reporting by Maureen Culley - whoever she is - as far as the Waverley is concerned  >:(  It makes it sound as if she was withdrawn in 1973 and then did nothing until 2003, when there had been three decades of hard work by members of the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, not to mention the ship's operating companies, to return her to service and keep her running during the whole of that time, apart from the first few months. 

As far as returning her to 'her original 1940s style' was concerned, the most major change was the return to horrible brown paint on the fidlee casings and ventilators (instead of black and white, respectively), which was forced upon us by the Lottery - and which most of us would change back, given half the chance.

Some people should get their facts right!
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Chris

« Reply #132 on: Jul 30, 2010, 03:04 AM »
11) I thought the Britannia restaurant looked awful - 80s glitzy gold and mirrors - until Michael explained what the designers had been trying to do with it - they were trying to make it feel like the interiors of a famous 30s railway carriage - i forget the name - he said it was explained in a press release - but its this sort of fact that I love, and can make you love a space.  To understand what they were trying to do.  I think they need a sign explaining this, and to include an explanation of it on the tour!

It was designed to resemble (inspired by) the Orient Express dining car.

* Images: http://au.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?ei=UTF-8&p=orient+express+dining+car&fr2=tab-web&fr=b2ie7
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #133 on: Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Chris,

Orient Express didn't ring a bell - if Michael had said that I'd have remembered, so I've had a google, found the press release and found that its the Golden Arrow.

Quote from: Queen Victoria Press Release
The ship’s largest dining venue, Britannia was inspired by the dining car of the famed Golden Arrow that linked London to Paris. Its Art Deco design influences are captured

It seems like some of the original Golden Arrow's carriages form part of the current "orient express".

Have a look at this - http://www.cunard.com/Documents/Press%20Kits/USA/Queen%20Victoria/QV%20Art.pdf - has anyone done the self guided tours mentioned here?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #134 on: Jul 30, 2010, 02:31 PM »

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Maiden Cruises aboard the QE2 - 1969 Programme

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 44
Views: 19045
Last post Jan 23, 2022, 12:19 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Queen Mary reopens

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 17
Views: 2959
Last post Aug 30, 2023, 02:56 AM
by Chris
Makeover for Queen Mary

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 1193
Last post Aug 13, 2016, 09:35 AM
by Bruce Nicholls
Queen Elizabeth 2 stops in New Orleans

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1990s

Replies: 2
Views: 3181
Last post Jan 06, 2011, 09:57 PM
by Bob C.
1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2753
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge