Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria - General Discussion  (Read 48001 times)

Offline Chris Frame

Re: Queen Victoria
« Reply #80 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Both very much taller than QE2 - same angle from 2008:

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #81 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:36 AM »
What an amazing conversation!
Please keep it going!
Chris and Flagship - from the 'working' perspective,
you may be one of few that have experience of sailing on board all three ships.
I wonder whether the differences are so great, that they can be described as unique 'individuals'
with each one bearing no comparison to the other two - it's just a matter of the Cunard 'family likeness'?
Bit like human beings, I s'pose!!  :)

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #82 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I think from the inside QM definitely FEELS MUCH MUCH BIGGER than QV.. they have deliberately  tried to make .QV have a smaller  cosier feel inside...and it works to a point...and it took me 10 minutes less to go back to my cabin for something from the pool.!

The companionways not nearly as long as on QM...they go on for ever. she is truly a massive ship.... far too big for me.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #83 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Having sailed on all three (QE2, QM2 and QV) - they absolutely have their own on-board atmosphere and personality.

QV feels 'closer' to QE2 than QM2 does, I felt, in that she is smaller, cosier inside. QM2 is so very big and to me, doesn't really feel like QE2 at all.

That said, QE2's ambiance and personality is unmatched, the new Cunard Queens aren't the same as QE2.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #84 on: Apr 25, 2010, 04:16 PM »
Maybe done on purpose by Cunard???  So that QE2 can come out of our generation systems...

Wonder how the old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth passengers felt when that UGLY beast with the funny funnel came along in 1969....

I'm certainly NOT sailing on that thing!!  ( I can hear them now!!) It's nothing like Queen Mary....what an insult!!!

She was sooooo different from the old Queens...and I suppose the time has come for that to come around again...

As much as I DON'T like it.....future generations will come to love them the way we loved QE2 I s'pose.??...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #85 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I think from the inside QM definitely FEELS MUCH MUCH BIGGER than QV.. they have deliberately  tried to make .QV have a smaller  cosier feel inside...and it works to a point...and it took me 10 minutes less to go back to my cabin for something from the pool.!

The companionways not nearly as long as on QM...they go on for ever. she is truly a massive ship.... far too big for me.
They were limited with what they could do with QV, since she is a Vista-class clone.  I don't think they worked at her to make her feel smaller/cosier, they just had no choice! Things such as deck-heights and bulkheads were fixed and had to be worked around. 

QM2 is the only ship specifically designed from the keel up for Cunard (since QE2 ?) and was designed from the outset to have a very large "wow" factor in her main public spaces, with extremely grand, large, tall public spaces, which harked back to the heyday of the great transatlantic liners (e.g. QM1 & Normandie). 

Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #86 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:25 PM »
Rob - you are right. QM2 was the first Cunarder proper since QE2. All the other additions (1969 - 2004) were through acquisition and the Ambassador, Adventurer, Countess and Princess werfe ordered by someone else and taken over by Cunard.

When I joined Cunard in 1994 we had 15 vessels (if you counted the riverboats), a string of luxury hotels and 2 Caribbean resorts.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #87 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Weren't areas totally reworked from the original QV hull, which became the P&O Arcadia and give a vastly different interior feel to the QV that eventually was built?
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #88 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:54 PM »
As I understand it, the QV we have today was stretched, mainly to allow for the inclusion of The Queens Room, as the original QV (now Arcadia) had no such space to accommodate the ballroom.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #89 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:32 AM »

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #90 on: Apr 26, 2010, 07:30 AM »
Stowaway (and others) what programe do I need to open your pix above. On my screen it is a blank square with a little coloured button and no amount of clicking will get it to open and show itself.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #91 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:11 AM »
As I understand it, the QV we have today was stretched, mainly to allow for the inclusion of The Queens Room, as the original QV (now Arcadia) had no such space to accommodate the ballroom.

And QV wasn't even 2nd hand she was 3rd hand as originally she was a HAL hull,....so wonder why HAL didn't want it then palmed it off to P/O then they didn't want it and it ended up in Cunards' back yard.....

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a 3rd TRUE Cunarder as QE2 and QM2........might have to wait a few years for that one.if ever.....the moulds will STILL be getting used for a long time yet....mores the pity eh?

I wonder what QV would have looked like had Cunard not taken over this hull?  Would they have designed a new Cunard class altogether for their newbuilds?  Would love to find out!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #92 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:48 AM »
The ship that is the current QV, was always going to be the QV - hence the keel-laying ceremony etc.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #93 on: Apr 26, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Stowaway (and others) what programe do I need to open your pix above. On my screen it is a blank square with a little coloured button and no amount of clicking will get it to open and show itself.

It's on YouTube so if you're looking from your work it might be blocked.

Direct link :
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010, 12:19 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #94 on: Apr 26, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Matt - thanks for the interesting, possibly unique, photos showing all three ships at the same terminal.  However, it rather depends on the height of the tide!  It could make the difference of a couple of decks at least.  Seeing QE2 a few hours apart at the same terminal, it was amazing to see how much bigger/smaller she looked - as well as which new cabins you could see into!

Offline andyh

« Reply #95 on: Apr 30, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Having sailed on all three (QE2, QM2 and QV) - they absolutely have their own on-board atmosphere and personality.

QV feels 'closer' to QE2 than QM2 does, I felt, in that she is smaller, cosier inside. QM2 is so very big and to me, doesn't really feel like QE2 at all.

That said, QE2's ambiance and personality is unmatched, the new Cunard Queens aren't the same as QE2.

Having also been on all three, I have to agree with Chris, and now having three voyages already booked on the Queen Elizabeth, I think that will also have an atmosphere unique to itself

RmsAquitania

« Reply #96 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:30 PM »
To me a cunard queen is a ship built for 1)speed 2) size 3) strenght - built to withstand the rigours of a tempremental north atlantic at speed etc. In my opinion, the victoria and the new elizabeth should not have been called queens they just dont fit into the image or class that a proper cunard queen was.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2010, 11:55 AM »
I agree Andy....'Queens' are liner status.....the other pair are merely cruise ships........and should have been Princesses or Duchesses....

There is NO comparison...

No matter how much Cunard want to promote them as 'liner cruise ships'....I would NEVER cross the Atlantic in anything other than a liner......for obvious reasons...no matter what others may say or think....as much as I'm no lover of QM2..if I cross the Atlantic by sea I have to sail on her.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Love it!

Now back to QV..... she's in Southampton today, anyone going to see her?
http://www.chriscunard.com/queen_victoria_today.php
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:23 PM by Chris »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Now back to QV..... she's in Southampton today, anyone going to see her?
http://www.chriscunard.com/queen_victoria_today.php
I've tried to rearrange my schedule to allow me to go down to see her, but I've not quite managed it.  Maybe next time.   ::)