Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria - General Discussion  (Read 47967 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Queen Victoria
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:03 PM »
On twitter - Gary Williams says, 'I am on the Queen Victoria crossing the Altantic. It's amazing how well this liner handles the choppy waters. So smooth a sailing'
This was the last screen grab before the service became (temporarily?!) unavailable!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2010, 06:01 AM »

The 2 Queens have passsed each other mid Atlantic.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2010, 01:26 PM »
The Travels of Queen Victoria cont'd
A little difficulty aboard Queen Victoria....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241820/Queen-Victoria-cruise-ship-faces-U-S-ban-vomiting-bug-outbreak.html

Question - How can they be so sure it's a bug?
'Ted', on Liners list yesterday  reported qV's close contact with a hurricane...Hmm.
He's aboard qV lecturing - lucky passengers :)
(QM2 btw, is now experiencing choppy seas with a bit of swell)
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2010, 01:55 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline MiamiCunarder

« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2010, 02:59 PM »

You know, that is the first thing that came to mind after I read the article. The N Atlantic being particularly active this time of year, I wonder if the ship's doctor has been able to determine with certainty that it is indeed a bug, and not the usual N Atlantic mal de mer?
 I can still remember the puke bags that used to be put in place around QE 2 stairwells and lifts. I'm proud to say I never used one but I do admit I almost did once or twice...lol
Maybe Ted can find out for us?
 Ron

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I have been thinking of asking a question on the Cunard Facebook page, but fear it will be pulled.  I want to ask what if any modifications have been made to the ship to address the buckling floor conditions that have been experienced, particularily on the transatlantic where the couple sued and won for a ruined cruise.  Do you think I have any chance of getting an answer?  ???

The followup question would be....what has been done on the new Queen Elizabeth to address these issues?  I will be on the maiden tandem crossing in January 2011 and am concerned. :o

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Queen Victoria - (she with the well- stepped stern!) is transitting the Panama Canal - Is this for the first time?

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Rosie

It will be QV's third transit of the Canal; her maiden being in Januray 2008.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Thank you!

She's just decided to have her bridge-cam 'position' changed - she's  'At sea, bound for Acapulco'
Lucky passengers!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:28 PM »

Heres a clip from the transit

Louis

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Heres the both positions of QM2 and QV

What site are you using to view these ship positions, Louis?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:59 PM »
What site are you using to view these ship positions, Louis?

Do you have Google Earth ?
If so click on the following link:

http://www.seascanner.com/kml/kfben.kml.

That should work.Try it.

Louis

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:01 PM »

Heres another link that works on Google Earth.

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Googleearth.html

Louis

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:19 PM »
Thanks, Louis!

Tom

« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I've been working on an independent "QV fansite" in my spare time.  Considering that there wasn't one already out there on the internet, I thought it was a worthwhile project.  It's nothing like the one here on QE2, but I think that it gives a good sense of what she's like and some information regarding her construction and service life.  The link is posted below.  She really is a lovely ship and I do hope that in time she'll become more popular amongst traditionalists.

http://www.ms-queen-victoria.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 AM »
That's interesting, Tom!
Good that qV has a site!

Suffice it to say, that being a 'sea-addict' as well as a staunch traditionalist of long-standing (that's another story!)
and having spent 2 weeks on board qV last August, it soon became clear that qV is better experienced from being onboard, than she is from the quayside!
Seeing her from a fair distance seemed just about OK too!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/4295254028/in/set-72157623165171368/

QE2 was well represented aboard - we had a meeting, and although the discussions were mainly about QE2 - there were several there who were not as impressed with Queen Victoria, as others!

My hope is that as ships built for cruises become even uglier, then qV's reputation and 'appearance' may become more acceptable!! 

On your site -
http://www.ms-queen-victoria.com
it appears that Queen Victoria is described as a 'liner'.
Ocean-going? She definitely is.
However - a liner...??
If you try typing liner into the search/index above, here on the Forum - you'll find lots about the term 'liner/s'!

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 12:05 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Ocean-going? She definitely is.
I'd argue that this is open to debate.  I believe that a ship such as QM2 and QE2 are for oceans (e.g. the Atlantic Ocean) whereas a cruise ship such as QV, is intended mainly for seas.  She'll only venture across the ocean rarely for re-positioning, weather permitting.  I'm sure I've heard this stated as fact, with regard to the different category and use intended for each kind of ship.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:45 PM »
I've been working on an independent "QV fansite" in my spare time.  Considering that there wasn't one already out there on the internet, I thought it was a worthwhile project.  It's nothing like the one here on QE2, but I think that it gives a good sense of what she's like and some information regarding her construction and service life.  The link is posted below.  She really is a lovely ship and I do hope that in time she'll become more popular amongst traditionalists.
Good luck with your site, I'm sure it will do very well - it looks great.

Personally, I don't consider myself a 'traditionalist', I've just never been interested in cruising or cruise ships!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2010, 01:01 PM »
I'd argue that this is open to debate.  I believe that a ship such as QM2 and QE2 are for oceans (e.g. the Atlantic Ocean) whereas a cruise ship such as QV, is intended mainly for seas.  She'll only venture across the ocean rarely for re-positioning, weather permitting.  I'm sure I've heard this stated as fact, with regard to the different category and use intended for each kind of ship.

Rob - I agree with you,
and understood from people sailing her that qV is a vessel best suited to in-shore waters and 'the seas',
in preference to heavy and unpredictable sea conditions on say, the Atlantic.
It was fact the that qV can and has sailed across oceans that i was referring to, as a definite fact, in the literal sense!

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 01:04 PM by Twynkle »

Tom

« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments.  I hope to add to the site as time goes on.  Soon she'll be crossing the Pacific and I'm hoping to get some good photos of QV when she's in Honolulu.  I shall take out "liner" at some point in the future as I do agree she's really a cruise ship.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a "liner" as "a vessel (now usually a steam-ship) belonging to a ‘line’ of packets providing a regular succession of public conveyances plying between certain places; e.g. Cunard liners, White Star liners. orig. U.S."

It has been argued that QV can be considered a liner due to the fact that she makes regularly scheduled crossings of the Atlantic (regularly as in she does at least a few every around the same time every year).  However, being that she does not make successive (back-to-back) crossing, as defined above, QV simply cannot be considered one.  I remember occasionally members of the ship's crew would point to the ship's "liner inspired interior design" as being proof.  Obviously that doesn't make the least bit of difference, but it's interesting to note that any vessel that sails between two places regularly can be considered a liner, regardless of exterior design (some have noted QV's Vista Class origins here before).  Naturally, liners need different designs to withstand the elements of the open ocean far better than cruise ships, but being "liner like" in design does not classify a ship as one.

Does anyone here know were I could find some sort of physical proof to substantiate the claim that QV does indeed have a crack in her structure?  Ken pointed out a link to a Lloyd's Register report a while ago, but I can't seem to find exactly where within it states that a crack exists.  If it's true, it might be interesting to see if the crack (or any subsequent repairs to it) can be viewed either within the passenger areas or on the vessel's exterior.

Does anyone here know whether there is any truth to the rumor that Captain Wright is retiring in the near future?  He's been with the company for 30 years and while not completely beyond belief, I still can't find anything "official" about it beyond this site.  To me it makes little sense considering Captain Wright generally goes on leave in March and returns to the ship for the summer months.  It seems that retiring at the start of Fall 2010 would be much more plausible than retiring in May 2010 based on his schedule.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 11:47 PM by Tom »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Vivat Victoria!
http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2007d.html

....'Vice President / Chief Naval Architect, Carnival Corporate Shipbuilding (and chief designer of QM2), Mr Stephen Payne, OBE, quoted at the delivery of QUEEN VICTORIA, told Maritimematters, "Although I never had the privilege of seeing or even sailing on Cunard's legendary green goddess CARONIA (1949), I can only imagine that the magnificence of the new QUEEN VICTORIA makes her a worthy successor, well placed to perpetuate the grand style of ocean voyaging".

An interior photograph by Mr. Payne can be found on the SHIPPING NEWS photos page.'....
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 01:28 PM by Twynkle »