Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria - General Discussion  (Read 47842 times)

richc1977

Re: Queen Victoria
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Thanks for the site and the pictures.  Really gives a sense of her interiors.  Looks like you got up really early to do your photos as no one is around!

She is just on a completely different scale of the QE2.  So many double (or larger) height spaces and so many public spaces.  I guess thats the advantage of all that superstructure.

I see a few nods to the Queen Mary - the lights that were in the QM's 1st class dining saloon and those in the observation lounge are recreated aboard the QV.

My reservation is that this mock Art Deco look isn't always convincing and a bit like some Las Vegas hotel.  I almost wish they'd do something new/modern.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Yes, Richard!
If Cunard had chosen to design her interiors with a modernist, 'less-is-more' approach,
or even minimalist - as in 'contemporary', this could have been revolutionary - (well, almost!)
I wonder which came first - the name 'Queen Victoria' - or the choice of style!

Just for info!
A report from Peter Knego
http://maritimematters.blogspot.com/2008/01/queen-victorias-maiden-visit-to-los.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

richc1977

« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Well it's this positioning of Cunard post Carnival purchase with the emphasis on tradtions, and Britishness.  The ships very much play on their Royal connections and being British, hence the flag of registry and all that. 

This is what puzzles me....Art Deco was very much an international movement, something the French and Americans excelled at.  Britain, it has to be said, less so.  So why choose Art Deco style for these "British" ships.  Seems odd to me.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Here's very good account of his TA,
by Ted Scull, lecturer aboard qV last January (2009)
http://www.worldshipny.com/qvblog.html

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I just want to post a wee reminder that the best place to discuss QV is really CunardCritic, CruiseCritic or one of the many other discussion forums relating to current cruise ships.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:14 PM »

Queen Victoria's maiden call to San Francisco

Louis

Online Twynkle

« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:32 PM »
For 'Everyone' in New Zealand
Here's qV podding it into Auckland Harbour

Online Twynkle

« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:52 AM »
'Shocking' or Pretty?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cunard/4371336104/
These images are credited to James Morgan

Mightn't this have been a tricky time for keen photographers
hoping to catch qV in surroundings
that are usually stunning, without needing to be Pink!
Why not keep pink for the Real monsters!
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 02:03 PM by Twynkle »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #48 on: Feb 21, 2010, 12:58 PM »
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 02:02 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Jem

« Reply #49 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:27 PM »

Offline Matt

« Reply #50 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:25 AM »
I will be seeing the Queen Victoria for the first time tomorrow, when she arrives in Fremantle for the first time. Ill then be able to judge the ship for my self on her appearance. I have to say i am looking forward to it, as i havent seen that classic scheme for almost 2 years when the QE2 departed Australia for the last time on the 5th March 2008.

Ill let you know how it goes!

Matt
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online Twynkle

« Reply #51 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:58 AM »
Hello Matt!
These are for you!

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010, 11:25 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Matt

« Reply #52 on: Feb 28, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Hello Matt!
These are for you!

Thankyou for them images Rosie! I was there, for both the arrival and departure, and was quite suprised, i actually quite liked the girl! But obviously not the liners we both love! Ill write more soon, havent been back long and im so tired, such an early start! So ill have more to say shortly!!

Thanks Again!

Matt
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online Twynkle

« Reply #53 on: Mar 02, 2010, 02:52 PM »

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #54 on: Mar 12, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Hello all,

Just departed from 18 nights aboard Queen Victoria. Was aboard lecturing about the history of the Ocean Liner. Our first time aboard QV and we enjoyed our time aboard. Pleased to report that the ship has a very nice 'personality' and is a very happy ship - lots of ex. QE2 crew aboard which makes it feel a bit like "home". Our cabin stewardess (Rowena) looked after us aboard QE2 in the past!

I'll post images etc. on my website & Flickr in due course.

All the best,

Chris.

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #55 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Welcome home, Chris and Rachelle.... hope you had a wonderful time on "Miss Vicki" !!  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this younger sister to QE2 and QM2.  I watched the bridge cam each day but most of the time it was in darkness because of the difference in time here in Canada. I'ts kind of nice to run into former crew from QE2, makes you feel "at home" with family. 

Linda

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #56 on: Mar 13, 2010, 12:31 PM »
The resulting discussion, on the meaning of "sister ships", has been moved to the Sister Ships thread by the Moderating Team, to be further pursued there :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,992.msg18725.html#msg18725

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #57 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:22 AM »
thanks Linda for your comments and will post some pics of the ship up on my website soon!
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2010, 10:45 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #58 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Hello Chris
Looking forward to seeing your photographs too!
And your book - what news?
Did you find the special place in the library at sea-level?
Because of fog in Shanghai - she's now running 34 hrs late
and this screen-grab is the South China sea - at breakfast time!
Are you missing her.... ;)  ??!
Rosie.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #59 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:15 AM »
Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the message! The book is due to be printed in May - will be released in July. We got all of the images we needed - exciting times!

It will be tough for her to make up 34 hours! thanks for the screen grab :D

Chris.