Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria - General Discussion  (Read 47823 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Victoria - General Discussion
« Reply #220 on: Jul 22, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Great news that Mr Nelder will be writing a book....when he retires
Put me down for a copy !!!

And me!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #221 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I was pleased to see this good review about Queen Victoria on Cruise.co.uk.  I have sailed on Queen Victoria about 5 times because I always feel very comfortable onboard the ship and I agree with what was said in this review

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/cunard-cruises/queen-victoria/read_review_32428/?utm_source=151111&utm_medium=Bulletin&utm_campaign=Reviews
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Twynkle

« Reply #222 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:06 PM »
Queen Victoria
It looks as if she's enjoying her transit of the Panama Canal!
Thanks to Cunard for the webcam view
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Matteo 91

« Reply #223 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Queen Victoria
It looks as if she's enjoying her transit of the Panama Canal!
Thanks to Cunard for the webcam view

;)

And Queen Elizabeth is crossing the south Atlantic from Southampton to Barbados!  :)

Online Twynkle

« Reply #224 on: Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Queen Victoria is just entering the waters around Venice
The Bridge webcam is 'on'!
http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Victoria/Bridge-Web-Cam/
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #225 on: Jun 13, 2012, 10:23 AM »
I wish I was onboard she is a lovely ship with a very friendly crew.  We sail to the Adriatic onboard Queen Victoria last year and I loved the sail in and out of Venice. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Twynkle

« Reply #226 on: Jun 13, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Lynda - Qv together with other cruise ships are Very unpopular now in Venice
There was a vociferous Demo as we passed St Mark's when we were there in April!
There were posters all over the city - Basta (enough!) - Say No to Cruise Ships!
Gondalas, vaporetti, red flares - anything that floated; many sailed pretty close to her bow
Captain Olsen, with her usual 'safe pair of hands' simply drove on.
Asked about it by another passenger later - she mentioned that the water displacement from any big ship could possibly have an environmental effect on the city's canals
There certainly seems to be a sense of ambivalence too, not only do tourists spend in Venice - many cruise ships have been built in the nearby Italian dockyards.

Doubtless Venice is in Peril - it's difficult to see why the port authority don't require the ships to anchor off and use tenders to bring visitors in to the city....

Online skilly56

« Reply #227 on: Sep 11, 2012, 03:40 AM »
Rosie,

Your comment about the 'transient lifestyle between ships' is usually very relevant to the happiness of the people on board. For the Carnival UK officers, having a duty roster of 3 months on/6 weeksoff (although I believe even that system may now have changed) often means your next duty cycle is on a different ship to the last one. This quite often results in general discontent with the job (unless you were getting away from people you didn't really get on with), having to re-learn where things hide on the next vessel, and new procedures (even though you my be theoretically going to a sister ship). Also, different ships have different problems (both mechanically and personnel-wise), and it can be very frustrating to find that what works well on one ship doesn't even function at all on another ship because of someone's beliefs (We don't do it like that here!)

My son left the QE last year (1st officer) and came to the Australian offshore industry to work. He trebled his salary, doubled his leave (now 4 weeks on/4 weeks off), and can now enjoy the time on board a lot more as his duty cycles are normally on the same ship, with the same crew, procedures are always the same, and so the crew become a well-knit and cohesive team. Swapping people out all the time and replacing them with new crew members is not conducive to creating a good team.

When on the QE last year I had numerous officers asking how they could get into the offshore industry - they were not happy where they were.

Unfortunately, as the swinging chief engineer between the three supposedly-identical ships on this same pipe-laying job as my son, I am now the one getting odd-ball duty and leave cycles (I had 9 days at home in 97 days at one stage, even though it is meant to be equal time on/time off).

Sounds like QV has pod problems if a dry-docking is required. Engine problems do not require dry docking unless the side of the engine room is to be cut out to replace a complete engine.
Skilly

Offline Chris Frame

Re: Queen Victoria - General Discussion
« Reply #228 on: Jul 14, 2013, 11:54 AM »
For those who are interested in this superb ship...

(She's the closest I've known to recreating that special "feeling" that QE2 had - she's an exceptionally happy ship with a happy crew and the best ambiance, food and service of the three - IMO)... I digress.

Anyway our new soft cover QV book is out :)

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #229 on: Jul 15, 2013, 03:42 PM »
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013, 05:28 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Chris Frame

Offline tdickson

« Reply #231 on: Oct 24, 2013, 09:04 PM »
For those who are interested in this superb ship...

(She's the closest I've known to recreating that special "feeling" that QE2 had - she's an exceptionally happy ship with a happy crew and the best ambiance, food and service of the three - IMO)... I digress.

Anyway our new soft cover QV book is out :)

I have been working at Ocean Terminal (Southampton) today and noticed lots of familiar CUNARDER faces, together with lots of QE2 baggage straps/ QE2 Hand luggage / Lapel Pins etc.. So I decided to start asking embarking guests that had obviously been on board QE2, what it was they preferred about Queen Victoria over and above the other two current Queens and as per chris's above quote, they nearly all quoted the same 'She has that QE2 feeling about her'
Having unfortunately not personally been on board QE2, but have been on board QV four times and may I add, prefer to QE.

Why this QUEEN ??

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #232 on: Oct 24, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I have been working at Ocean Terminal (Southampton) today and noticed lots of familiar CUNARDER faces, together with lots of QE2 baggage straps/ QE2 Hand luggage / Lapel Pins etc.. So I decided to start asking embarking guests that had obviously been on board QE2, what it was they preferred about Queen Victoria over and above the other two current Queens and as per chris's above quote, they nearly all quoted the same 'She has that QE2 feeling about her'
Having unfortunately not personally been on board QE2, but have been on board QV four times and may I add, prefer to QE.

Why this QUEEN ??

I have just returned from a 24 night cruise on Queen Victoria today and sorry that I did not know that you were on duty today Trevor as it would have been lovely to meet up to a fellow QE2 Story Forum member.   :D

We have sailed onboard Queen Victoria eight times, QE2 five times and QM2 four times. 

Queen Victoria is not a liner like the QE2 but I have to agree that she does have that QE2 feeling about her.  Some of this is down to here size as she is easier to get around than QM2. There are a high number of ex QE2 staff onboard Queen Victoria and it is lovely to speak to these members of staff to hear their memories of the ship and how much they still love her and miss her. 

There is also a high proportion of ex QE2 passengers onboard the ship who expect the same quality of service as they had experienced onboard QE2. I have never been disappointed in the quality of service onboard Queen Victoria.  The Queen Victoria restaurant and cabin staff, many who were onboard QE2 are excellent and those who crew members who have never been onboard QE2 are being trained by ex QE2 staff so that the standards are being maintained.

The Queen Victoria is known as the "friendly ship" and I have to agree that there is a warm and friendly feel about the ship.  Like you trevor I do not know the reason why but Queen Victoria does have something special about her.  She is not a liner but she is a special ship. 

PS:  I was disappointed to hear yesterday that there are plans to change her angle stepped stern to make her the same as the Queen Elizabeth's vertical shaped stern.  In my opinion this is not a good decision by Cunard.   >:(

www.qe2event.com

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #233 on: Oct 25, 2013, 05:09 PM »
PS:  I was disappointed to hear yesterday that there are plans to change her angle stepped stern to make her the same as the Queen Elizabeth's vertical shaped stern.  In my opinion this is not a good decision by Cunard.   >:(

Where did you see or hear about this?  Makes sense from an operating perspective and many, myself included, speculated that this would eventually happen once we saw the QE profile.  QV's other sister, Acadia, is getting similar additions and renovations to her aft end.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #234 on: Oct 25, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Where did you see or hear about this?  Makes sense from an operating perspective and many, myself included, speculated that this would eventually happen once we saw the QE profile.  QV's other sister, Acadia, is getting similar additions and renovations to her aft end.

Ken I heard this from a fellow passenger onboard Queen Victoria.  I hope it is not true but he seemed pretty sure that the information was right. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #235 on: Oct 25, 2013, 07:08 PM »

How does it make sense from an operating perspective ?  Thanks !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #236 on: Oct 25, 2013, 07:11 PM »

More cabins = more cash, I guess.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #237 on: Oct 25, 2013, 07:36 PM »
More cabins = more cash, I guess.

That is most likely it...

Offline andy liney

« Reply #238 on: Oct 25, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Sadly, Cunard think that the new Queen Elizabeth is beautiful, and would have no compunction about doing this modification ('upgrade' in their parlance!) from an aesthetic point of view. (They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but, having sailed on her, I thought she was the ugliest ship I'd thus far been on).

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #239 on: Oct 25, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Sadly, Cunard think that the new Queen Elizabeth is beautiful, and would have no compunction about doing this modification ('upgrade' in their parlance!) from an aesthetic point of view. (They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but, having sailed on her, I thought she was the ugliest ship I'd thus far been on).
As we all know, true beauty is our QE2 !!