Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria - General Discussion  (Read 47821 times)

richc1977

Re: Victoria - General Discussion
« Reply #200 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:00 PM »
She wasn't in Hamburg for long.  Just having her bottom wiped and new carpets by the looks of the pictures of wearecunard.com.

Nothing on the main Cunard website, or Cunard's Facebook page.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/12/victoria-comes-out-of-the-wate.html

Greybeard just reports a general spruce up of "worn areas".

Offline Jem

« Reply #201 on: Dec 15, 2010, 02:30 AM »
I see tonight she's in Amsterdam. I thought her next port of call after Hamburg was supposed to be Southampton? ???

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #202 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:29 AM »
Today she leaves Soton and arrives in Amsterdam tomorrow lunchtime, which is what I am expecting as we are sailing on her...

Will let you know what changes we notice from our last trip on her a couple of years ago...

She'll be back in Soton on Monday morning...

Alex...

Offline Jem

« Reply #203 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Today she leaves Soton and arrives in Amsterdam tomorrow lunchtime, which is what I am expecting as we are sailing on her...

Will let you know what changes we notice from our last trip on her a couple of years ago...

She'll be back in Soton on Monday morning...

Alex...
Have a wonderful time Alex! Look forward to hearing how you got on. :)

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #204 on: Dec 18, 2010, 12:04 PM »
All is excellent aboard QV, she is looking great after her re-fresh and everything is totally immaculate...in fact I'd say more so than when we were last on board in May'08.  The new lady captain is doing great job...the transit through the lock into Amsterdam looked pretty tricky and the weather has been 'unusual'... The ship is deeply covered in snow!  This happened yesterday in Amsterdam, but when we arrived this morning in Zebrugge the captain announced she'd cancelled all the tours, as some returned 2 hours late yesterday, delaying our sailing.  They have started up the shuttle bus service into town, bur in the main we are all aboard, enjoying the ship...in our case the Cafe Carinthia at this time!

Enjoying Queen Victoria,

Alex...

Online Twynkle

« Reply #205 on: Dec 18, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Ahoy there, Alex!
Winter Greetings to you and Queen Victoria!
And if you are in the Commodore Club,
Denis (ex-QE2) might wish you a 'safe way home'!
As long as the snow doesn't get in the way,
we'll be looking for him on Jan 5!
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #206 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Many thanks Rosie, I think you'll have a great time...there are many familiar names from QE2 aboard with references, pictures, films and memorabilia about her everywhere!

No tours tomorrow either...the steaming jacuzzis/deep snow combo has to be seen to be believed!

Alex...

Online Twynkle

« Reply #207 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:44 AM »
'Cunard president Peter Shanks joked last week that giant wing mirrors had been fitted to the bridge of Queen Victoria, ready for Inger Olsen, the first woman captain in the company's history.'

Hmm - Mr Shanks
Did you really say this?

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/12/snowy-scenes-at-sea.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #208 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:12 AM »
http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/12/snowy-scenes-at-sea.html

The second picture looks like Antwerp to me -- not Amsterdam or Zeebrugge. But of course all these ports are big, and the ship may have landed in a part of it where I have not been. But I am still rather intrigued! Was it Antwerp ???

That viewing platform on the right-hand side of the picture, if in Antwerp, is a wonderful place, where passengers and visitors can see the ship from very close and take good pictures. Indeed, visitors can even talk across the divide with the passengers walking about on deck (or stuck in their balconies, presumably).

Online Twynkle

« Reply #209 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Isabelle
Somewhere on the Forum there's a lovely video that includes the people of Rotterdam (I think!) making their farewells to QE2
QE2 is parked immediately alongside them as they sang to her...It looks from the vid that they could almost touch hands across the space between them.

Returning to Queen Victoria and our TA that begins next week.
It's now not possible to pay any Cunard or P & O on board account with travelers' cheques - this information has come to our notice today, and then only by pure luck - or un-luck depending on the way you look at it!!
Heading off to exchange what otherwise are universally regarded as the safest way of carrying money!
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2010, 08:21 PM by Twynkle »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #210 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:33 PM »
  It's now not possible to pay any Cunard or P & O on board account with travelers' cheques - this information has come to our notice today, and then only by pure luck - or un-luck depending on the way you look at it!!

How odd is that, With a bit of luck it might not be common knowledge among the onboard staff, its often the case lm sorry to say that onboard and shoreside are not always singing from the same page. What about those funny little money cards, then again do they have chip and pin onboard? Or perhaps they are leading the way and going to introduce the Cunard charge card?

So now how on earth do you pay such accounts, l never was a big fan of credit cards, they dont take debit cards so are people expected to walk round with great big wads of cash and risk getting mugged enroute...  ???
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I have just returned from a most enjoyable trip on the Queen Victoria cruising to the Adriatic visiting Cadiz, Katakalon, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice, Korcula, and Malaga.  I will write a bit more about the cruise next week.

However I thought you would be interested to know Captain Ian Hutley recently moved from P&O Cruises to Cunard as the captain of Queen Victoria.  Inger Klein Olsen, the first Cunard women captain, is the other captain.

At a very interesting "Ask the Captain Session" in the Royal Court Theatre, Captain Hutley said that some passengers joked that they were disappointed that Captain Inger Olsen was not onboard.  

I was also interested to learn that Ronald Keir, Queen Victoria's  Chief Engineer, is from Clydebank (fellow Bankie).  He had been involved in the manufacture of the QE2 turbines and gearboxes.  He also was staff Chief Engineer on QE2 in 2003.  
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2011, 09:30 AM by Lynda »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44 PM »
I'd love to know if Ronald remembers my Dad... someone's got to!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2011, 09:28 AM »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Another example of the good work carried out by the RNLI.  But this would be a traumatic experience for the elderly couple. 

I read in the April edition of Sea Breezes that RNLI had rescued 8313 people last year off the coast of UK and Ireland.  Lifeboats were launched a total of 8713 times during last year. But that's a completely different topic.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Twynkle

« Reply #215 on: Jun 04, 2011, 06:39 PM »
It's 'all change' amongst the Officers in the Cunarders, specially in QV.
Many of them speak about the transient nature of their time on each ship,
rotation being part of the new order of things.
This was written in March - several people may have moved by now
including the new Commodore, Captain Rynd
However, Captain Olsen is back :)
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/travelsmart/2011/06/03/meet-the-staff-and-crew-of-the-queen-victoria/

bobso

Re: Queen Victoria general discussion
« Reply #216 on: Jun 14, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Link to an interesting topic between the QE2 and Queen Victoria.

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/cunard-cruises/queen-victoria/read_review_29867/

Online Twynkle

« Reply #217 on: Jul 12, 2011, 12:30 PM »
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 12:33 PM by Twynkle »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #218 on: Jul 22, 2011, 09:16 AM »
A Mans world?
'Today’s guest blog comes from one of our engineers on board Queen Victoria, Sara Smith. At only 21 years old, Sara has embarked on a very interesting career in a predominantly male environment, here’s how she got there:...'

http://wearecunard.com/

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #219 on: Jul 22, 2011, 05:20 PM »
  It's 'all change' amongst the Officers in the Cunarders, specially in QV.
Many of them speak about the transient nature of their time on each ship,
rotation being part of the new order of things.
This was written in March - several people may have moved by now
including the new Commodore, Captain Rynd
However, Captain Olsen is back
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/travelsmart/2011/06/03/meet-the-staff-and-crew-of-the-queen-victoria/

Great news that Mr Nelder will be writing a book....when he retires
Put me down for a copy !!!
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!