Author Topic: appeal to ex steward/service crew members  (Read 1774 times)

davy

appeal to ex steward/service crew members
« on: Jul 26, 2010, 03:13 PM »
QE2 Research

Hi qe2story members. I am seeking help on researching the old lady, from the staff stewarding perspective.

I am of the opinion, 50 years of observing ‘how the other half live’, is well worth recording.
I am not looking for ‘exposes’ necessarily (although a few tasty ‘snippets’ would of course be appreciated lol), but having had experience myself, of the service trade, I know how amusing and interesting the job can be.
From the first early voyage days, up to decommissioning.  I am looking in particular for those of Scottish connection, but certainly not exclusively. If you think you can help me with stories, recollections, ANY contacts/links, who might be able to help me in this area, I would be most grateful. Please contact me here.

My own memories are vivid around the time of her launch. The excitement in the city leading up to it was immense – and of course I could even get a glimpse of the progress of her build.
I was working as a waiter in the city in 1968’, and the talk was about trying to get on it for the ‘shakedown cruise’ to Las Palmas. I knew one lad who achieved the dream (a Brian Murphy) but I’m sure I knew quite a few more. I left the city, a month before it sailed, for ‘pastures new’ myself, to seek my fame & fortune lol (Never even putting my name down, in the end!).

Thank you for taking the time to read this

davy
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2010, 04:20 PM by Rob Lightbody »

PS Ryde : last ditch "save it from scrap" appeal

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Ships

Replies: 45
Views: 5961
Last post Feb 06, 2019, 06:21 PM
by Thomas Hypher
PS Waverley - COVID-19 Appeal & 2021 Season

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 0