6 (18.8%)
Gold
11 (34.4%)
Silver
3 (9.4%)
None
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Cunard World Club Membership poll  (Read 10937 times)

Cruise_Princess

Cunard World Club Membership poll
« on: Jul 20, 2010, 01:16 PM »
Just wondering how many of us are  Cunard World Club Members and what level? 

Just a point of interest....

Also those who have Never sailed at all .. please choose .final option

I've put in my vote ......look forward to yours!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Cunard World Club Membership poll
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Question before I answer - is membership automatic at the lower level if you have made one sailing, or is it something that one has to have applied for?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Just voted, l hate to say all achieved on QE2 without setting foot on the other ones.

And for whats its worth the benefits l feel personally of a Diamond member are at present v e r y poor. For example there was always supposed to be a Platinum/ Diamond members disembarkation lounge to relax (get this, where operationally possible) The tour office always sent out the letters advising this wont be operational and after they had closed.

On a med cruise they lumped the Plat/Diam members together at the one cocktail party and there was just too many for the room, it was a very poor effort. As it happened speaking to Captain Bates he did say that the next cruise there was even more members sailing and it would be split over 2 nights, He also mentioned when we docked in Southampton there would be the biggest crew change ever.

The priority luggage, anytime l checkin in the luggage was always there before l arrived, Only once it wasnt and that was because they had deposited my case out side another cabin 20 yards away I only noticed it because it stood out 
Its the one thing l always felt let QE2 down was the disembarktion day and the inport breakfast selection with your order sometimes being taken the night before :o Even protesting as an intransit passenger didnt help.

The dedicated contact member for the world club, l could never get through to, l was always intercepted by the reservation gang and delt with by them (its not ment to sound as though l was beaten up or something, just that they handled my queries)
Only once did someone from the World Club call me and before l knew where l was they were being given my thoughts on the upgrade system, it was rather a long call, but once l had them l wasnt about to let go.
 The laundry was something l never thought l would use, but it was probably the best benefit (that and the internet package)

When you look around at what the rest of the other ones give to their loyal passengers, it does put Cunard in the shade.

In the good old days (oh here we go again) when Anne Bright had her club it was limited to some 5000 members we all paid £20 a year, she sent out a monthly news letter (not sales pitch) with some member discounts and tittle tattle and you really felt you were part of something, when you called her up you were speaking with your favourite Auntie and booking a cruise was by the way. She always saw to it you had some bottle of fizz or wine and a onboard credit in the cabin which more than covered what you paid for the membership.

The lunches at the Polygon were something else, prior to a cruise l remember joining her in a mercedes limo for the journey down to Southampton, we had sandwiches and a bottle of very nice plonk on the back seat, the driver had strict orders not to arrive before the given time and we drove round the hotel twice to make up for being early. I found the whole journey down quite fasinating,and she said and l can quote exactly as l never forgot it " I see the club as my family, granted its a big family but its upto me to look after them, any more and l think l wouldnt manage"   The lunches usually included a glass of wine, but the real beauty was you were checked in there at the hotel and when the lunch was over you were bussed to QE2 in a matter of minutes and went straight onboard.
 Then of course there was the Cunard Anne Bright Party onboard.
 Buts whats this about priority disembarkation? Who on earth would want to rush off at the end of a cruise, l used to hang back as long as l could and go of when 5 deck was called.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:23 PM »
It's just a gimmick isn;t it.....

You are entered into CWC after your first sailing at entry level.

Like you Cunardqueen I only used the email and laundry which was really the only decent benefit....and like you achieved DIAMOND status on QE2 alone... but.....have to say it does annoy me when they lump in Platinum and Diamond together  the Diamond passengers have spent much more of their hard earned money to achieve that yet the Platinum passengers get more or less the same treatment..  Its pretty poor I agree....unlike CRYSTAL  their top level cruisers get an entire cruise FREE in the top PENTHOUSE!!!!  Even Celebrity are better to their past passengers.

I do remember some time ago we could get a free cruise with cruisemiles....but it took some achieving around the red tape but I;m glad to say  after a lot off huffing and puffing we got it...think it was a 10 nights to the Canaries or something...so long ago I can't even remember.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Does membership expire if you don't sail again within a certain time?

Haven't had any Cunard mailings for about two or three years now ( well, almost - did have one last month! ); before that it was several a year.

I'm asking because I'm not sure whether to tick "none" or the first level.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Unfortunately, the Transatlantic voyage on Queen Elizabeth in 1961 doesn't count...
Neither does being conceived in Liverpool - like most other civilised Cunarders
As far (not very!) as my understanding goes, neither does anything else if there's a gap of more than 3 years
Otherwise the Platinum would be the appropriate metal of 'choice'
The way things are going, the bling factor could amount to diamond soon... 

What really, really matters - IS QE2!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2010, 08:46 PM »
Unfortunately, the Transatlantic voyage on Queen Elizabeth in 1961 doesn't count...
Youve sailed on the Queen Elizabeth, well wasnt that kept quiet! If you have any ticket stubs or anything to prove youve sailed with Cunard, photocopy it and send it in, You never know your luck

A number of years ago there was a mix up with my records, and it took forever to settle up, in the end l had to send away all my tickets for them to examine. In the meantime they sent me one of the  Cunarder magazine thingys with the one night sailing in 2001. I went to book it and they wouldnt allow me to book, as l wasnt a member and the brochure had been sent in error!  well l hit the roof and told them pop next door and see my tickets you have them in the building.

When the Cunard product works well, its fantastic, when it doesnt Boy oh Boy you do question just what goes on at Carnival towers.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Hey Twynks...what an achievement....any pics or stories to tell about it....it must have been so very glamorous....dying to hear about it!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2010, 08:53 PM »
I do remember some time ago we could get a free cruise with cruisemiles....but it took some achieving around the red tape but I;m glad to say  after a lot off huffing and puffing we got it...think it was a 10 nights to the Canaries or something...so long ago I can't even remember.

Gosh the cruise miles, l had forgotten about that fiasco, l seem to recall it was a rip off you had to sail forever and the free cruises were limited.. Perhaps finding hens teeth was easier ;)

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2010, 01:58 AM »

Next time you are aboard you should tell them. In 2002 a friend (table companion) of mine told the Cruise Sales Staff about her 1960 voyage on Queen Mary and they honoured it.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Gosh the cruise miles, l had forgotten about that fiasco, l seem to recall it was a rip off you had to sail forever and the free cruises were limited.. Perhaps finding hens teeth was easier ;)

It certainly was not easy but Cunard knew I was VERY persistent!! ....they weeely weely luvd me!!!

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I only sailed once and have a WC membership number - and I still get mailings at least once a week it seems!
Kathy

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2010, 05:17 PM »
OK, in that case I guess I'm silver and have polled accordingly.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2010, 05:22 PM »
OK, in that case I guess I'm silver and have polled accordingly.
Me too.  And I don't see me ever going beyond that!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2010, 02:03 AM »
What does everyone think of the CWC party held aboard?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:22 PM »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Top photo shows the famous Club lunches from years ago at the Polygon Hotel
 & The late Anne Bright.
The tie worn was the Cunard World club tie based on the colours of the Queen Mary.
From 1987 to the present day its hasnt aged a bit, the wearer on the other hand.... :D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Some more Cunard World Club stuff..
 Anyone remember when the Club produced a mini passenger list of those Club members on your sailing. It was always amazing for me to be able to recognise some of the names. I guess the data protection act put an end to all that, I was always amazed why they didnt do passenger lists for the Farewell trips. There was one lady onboard who l hadnt seen since 1989 and we only realised when we exchanged Christmas cards.. (Oh my, you dont think she was avoiding me....)

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:49 PM »
How lovely Myles....and you haven't changed a bit!! Unfortunately  we were never at any of the lunches, but it looked absolutely fabulous!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:04 PM »
They were superb, for the life of me l cant remember what was on the menu, l was much to polite to keep one for a souvenir, But it was such a nice way to start a cruise. I dont remember them so much being offered on Crossings, it was mainly the cruises.

The Polygon Hotel may have gone, but the memories still live on
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/heritage/hampshireheritage/1335673.Polygon_ten_years_but_not_forgotten/    

CUNARD announce new non smoking policy for 2014

Started by tdicksonBoard Cunard

Replies: 4
Views: 2394
MV Cunard Princess (currently Golden Iris)

Started by BorisBoard Ships

Replies: 11
Views: 1193
Cunard Wedding Package

Started by tdicksonBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 1
Views: 767
Cunard captain autobiographies

Started by OliviaBoard Cunard

Replies: 18
Views: 1471
Cunard in Southampton