Author Topic: Baked Alaska Parade aboard QE2  (Read 14272 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Baked Alaska Parade aboard QE2
« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Memories from the Baked Alaska Parade ;D

From a few years ago ;)
The Captains Table, showing Captain Woodall and in the left of the photo, one of QE2s very regular passengers, well over 40 plus voyages (including 2 world cruises) Shorside never once managed an upgrade, but the staff onboard always took care of her. The waiter was Peter Cawthorn

<Old link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 06:24 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2010, 01:40 AM »
In the Grills, you only got a mini Baked Alaska, without any of the parading...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3801307115/

What you haven't added was the superb flamed (and rather boozy) cherries that went with the Baked Alaska.......

It was really lovely in the Queens' Grill - without all the mucking around that went on downstairs. I never saw a BAP - and that is one regret I don't have.

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2010, 07:35 AM »
No cherries in the Mauritania (I think?)
just the riot of fireworks, lots of different flags hanging from the deck head,
Chefs' big hats, happy customers, clapping and A Life on the Ocean Wave! :)
Very different on Cunarders these days :(

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2010, 09:56 PM »
If thats the best they can do in the Queens Grill, l would put it back, However I was more impressed with how they did the souffle,even with the mucking about.
 A Beef Wellington carved tableside was an experience, then again it was a special table... 

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2010, 11:34 AM »
One year in the Princess Grill on the QE2 the waiting steward was trying to persuade my husband, who never takes a dessert, to have a baked Alaska. He was joking with her and saying that he would only have a baked Alaska if it was  paraded and served with a sparkler.

I was aware something was happening when I saw the steward speak to the Maitre d then one of our dinning companions reaching for her camera. In good QE2 style my husband got what he asked for, a Baked Alaska with a sparkler, and the joke was on him.  

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2011, 08:29 PM by Lynda »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2010, 07:14 PM »
SO now we never joke with a steward about having something we think they can't manage cause they ALWAYS did.....only on  QE2....of course!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2010, 02:53 AM »
No cherries in the Mauritania (I think?)
just the riot of fireworks, lots of different flags hanging from the deck head,
Chefs' big hats, happy customers, clapping and A Life on the Ocean Wave! :)
Very different on Cunarders these days :(

I can report that we had the tasty flamed cherries in Mauritania as well as in Caronia.  They were flamed right near our table as well and once again, added to the entire experience, just as was the plating of the dinners.  Great times onboard and excellent wait staff.  I always marvelled how they would use the utensils in their hand to serve the after dinner candies too.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2010, 11:23 PM »
If thats the best they can do in the Queens Grill, l would put it back.

It was delicious however - and those cherries were wonderful. One of the things that was so nice about the Queens' Grill was the huge variety of incentiary puddings offered.

Including, once, chocolate crepes suzette. Just a bright idea of Denis' which worked surprisingly well. I was one of those who always had the option of crepes suzette without a special order - but then, as we keep saying, that was QE2......

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:31 PM »
  A Beef Wellington carved tableside was an experience, then again it was a special table...     
Came across this while looking for something else, knew l had the photo somewhere..
and it has the snowflake plates....
October 1988

<Dead link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 06:23 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Steve & Mark

« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Well here is the Baked Alaska Parade on the Final Voyage in the Caronia Restaurant.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Thanks the video brings back lots of memories of the Baked Alaska parade onboard QE2.  They do not do the Baked Alaska parade on the new Cunard ships for Health and Safety reasons, although they still do a parade of the chefs.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:58 PM »
Recently l was out with friends in Arcadia,California and to celebrate a birthday we visited The Derby.. you can imagine the surprise when the waitress announced they would bring out a Baked Alaska to celebrate the event. ;D

Never imagined l would taste such a lovely dish ever again..there was sadly no parade as such or cherries, and while l relished every mouthful, the fellow guests couldnt understand my excitement at it all, their impression was it was just a burnt top on some ice cream sponge, l of course saw it as a memory from the past, the celebrations in the Mauretania, the linking of hands and age old tradition on QE2. Ok l must admit it did taste a bit burnt.. but never the less the memories came flooding back.
The waitress poured a small amount of drink on each plate and then set it on fire before putting the BA on the plate..

< old link removed >

QE2 lives on in the most unexpected places...
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 11:59 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:00 AM »
It was only on the QE2 that I ate Baked Alaska because of the parade and the flambe cherries. I never eat it on the new ships because it does not seems special. 

...and yes I can understand your excitement Myles when the Baked Alaska was served for what was a special occasion with your friends.
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Friends of the Baked Alaska uniteGiven that its the photo of the month, lets revisit the BAP topic...
Like it,love it  ;D ;D  loathe it..
What do some of the newer members think, or indeed whats eveyones views..

Offline saltcay

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 05:29 PM »
These were from my first TA Crossing on the QE2 in 2003.