Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Baked Alaska Parade aboard QE2  (Read 10239 times)

Offline Twynkle

Baked Alaska Parade aboard QE2
« on: Jun 22, 2009, 01:11 PM »

Baked Alaska!

Take your pick......

More on YouTube!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Malcolm

Bakes Alaska Parade on QE2
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2009, 06:28 PM »
The BAP must have been one of the most filmed events on the ship but it was the event I disliked the most :( In the Mauretania everything was fine because everybody was eating at the same time so the parade arrived at the time you were expecting your pudding; in the Caronia the parade didn't work - you might only be on your starter while the stewards were parading the baked Alaska. The parade also meant that there was a period of about half ah hour when there was no service.

Thank goodness they didn't do a parade in the grills - I don't know how I'd have managed with nine parades in four months!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2009, 06:42 PM »
What's the origin of the baked alaska parade?  (on QE2 or otherwise I mean)

Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2009, 07:45 PM »

Rob

In the second of the 2 clips above there's a loud 'Baked Alaska' announcement to some bemused Caronia diners!
It doesn't sound very QE2-alike at all!

Something about 1802 and 1867, if I remember rightly  - it's a ceremony to commemorate the Americans winning Alaska from Russia!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2009, 07:48 PM »
But did they do it on QE1 or QM1 or early QE2 for instance?  Doesn't seem likely...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Something about 1802 and 1867, if I remember rightly  - it's a ceremony to commemorate the Americans winning Alaska from Russia!

That's when they got Alaska. The parade didn't start until the "1950s" :)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Baked Alaska Parade aboard QE2
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Mauretania Restaurant

Caronia Restaurant

Something we probably all experienced...

Yes, but only in those two restaurants. I must admit that I loved the excitement and the lights!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3801299241/

In the Grills, you only got a mini Baked Alaska, without any of the parading...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3801307115/

And a short video here... crane your necks until you, like me, have to jump out of the way!   ;D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3801274119/

Happy memories...

Offline Twynkle

Re: Bakes Alaska Parade on QE2
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Thank goodness they didn't do a parade in the grills - I don't know how I'd have managed with nine parades in four months!

Hello Malcolm (if you are still reading the Forum posts)
Never thought about this before...
Just one question - did you dislike the Baked Alaska thing so much, that had you been in the Mauritania for your World Cruise, would you have got up and left?  ;)
Rosie

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Some folks thought it a real pain.....but it IS part of cruising tradition...I preferred it though without the LOUD pre announcement over the PA system.  Again...if you don't want traditional cruising don't sail on a traditional ship.....that annoys me.there are hundreds out there to choose from to suit all kinds.  Just can;' please everyone eh?
 Have to admit...I loved the Baked Alaska parades though....

Hope I'm not off topic..its still Baked Alaska..whilst on another cruiseline in Alaska...we had the parade of course and a very attentive waiter who I'm sure would have peeled me a grape if I asked him..i cheekily said to him he should really feed me with this Baked Alaska as he does so much for us and having to do it for ourselves was a bit of an effort....but....it backfired on me...as he tied a large napkin around my neck and knelt down with a large spoonful of Baked Alaska....

Needless to say I didn't say anything like that ever again!! Everyone else in the restaurant thought is hilarious..I just wanted to die!!

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2010, 03:01 PM »
I never ran into it on QE (first class), or QM2 (Britannia).  I did have one on QE, though, and it was the "family size" version.  I recall it being very nice, but after 43 years anything could be possible!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2010, 03:21 PM »
I for one loved the baked Alaska parade, its as much as part of cruising for me as the lifeboat drill and embarkation. Some folks like it others hate it, But no voyage for me was complete without this parade, l once did a MSC cruise with a parade of the chefs and it went on that long l was waiting for the pot washer to show his face.
It was always amusing to see the looks on peoples faces if they hadnt experienced it before

I wonder if its still performed on "the youngest fleet in the world" with the same gutso as was on QE2.... ::)
(and if gave me a chance to have two puddings  :-X, not that l needed an excuse)

One imagines these days if you ordered Baked Alaska in the Grills if they would bring it out, give you a match to pop it on the top and strike it yourself, or perhaps it wasnt the grills sort of thing ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2010, 05:08 PM »
No its not on the new Queens.....fire regulations and all that twaddle...

we just get the PRINCESS style  roll out of the chefs.....where we all have to stop eating and clap at the appropraite moment.....sit there while the CD goes on and on and on and on....you get my drift...

It's just not the same Myles....but then you KNEW that didn't you???? LOL

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2010, 05:41 PM »
It's just not the same Myles....but then you KNEW that didn't you? LOL

Oh l thought it was called progress.... ;) ;)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2010, 06:30 PM »
I for one loved the baked Alaska parade, its as much as part of cruising for me as the lifeboat drill and embarkation. Some folks like it others hate it, But no voyage for me was complete without this parade, l once did a MSC cruise with a parade of the chefs and it went on that long l was waiting for the pot washer to show his face.
It was always amusing to see the looks on peoples faces if they hadnt experienced it before

I wonder if its still performed on "the youngest fleet in the world" with the same gutso as was on QE2.... ::)
(and if gave me a chance to have two puddings  :-X, not that l needed an excuse)

One imagines these days if you ordered Baked Alaska in the Grills if they would bring it out, give you a match to pop it on the top and strike it yourself, or perhaps it wasnt the grills sort of thing ;)

Everytime I experienced this on QE2, I wondered why the sprinkler system did not go off! :o  It was always quite a show!
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2010, 06:57 PM by Rob Lightbody »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline QueensFan

« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2010, 07:39 PM »
I admit, I liked the BAP a LOT more than the "Parade of Chefs" they did on QM2. (I ate at Todd English the last night of my QV crossing, due to a rather obnoxious tablemate, so can't comment on how they run things there.)

Was it hokey? Yes. But it was traditional, and there was something very cool about all the flags (flag locker leftovers?) and the whole drama of the thing.

Part of it may have been the music that went with it...I had a BAP on the Regal Empress as well, on a 2-night Bahamas booze-cruise run, and it wasn't quite the same to the tune of "Hot, Hot, Hot" as "God Save the Queen."

I remember asking my waiter, a lovely guy who got a kick out of my family of four, to steal me the house flag at the back of the Caronia...and in a geeky way, noted that it was out of date. (Though it was the "proper" house flag...still, thus out of date.)
--- Greg

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Memories from the Baked Alaska Parade ;D

From a few years ago ;)
The Captains Table, showing Captain Woodall and in the left of the photo, one of QE2s very regular passengers, well over 40 plus voyages (including 2 world cruises) Shorside never once managed an upgrade, but the staff onboard always took care of her. The waiter was Peter Cawthorn

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2010, 01:40 AM »
In the Grills, you only got a mini Baked Alaska, without any of the parading...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3801307115/

(Image removed from quote.)

What you haven't added was the superb flamed (and rather boozy) cherries that went with the Baked Alaska.......

It was really lovely in the Queens' Grill - without all the mucking around that went on downstairs. I never saw a BAP - and that is one regret I don't have.

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2010, 07:35 AM »
No cherries in the Mauritania (I think?)
just the riot of fireworks, lots of different flags hanging from the deck head,
Chefs' big hats, happy customers, clapping and A Life on the Ocean Wave! :)
Very different on Cunarders these days :(

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2010, 09:56 PM »
If thats the best they can do in the Queens Grill, l would put it back, However I was more impressed with how they did the souffle,even with the mucking about.
 A Beef Wellington carved tableside was an experience, then again it was a special table... 

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2010, 11:34 AM »
One year in the Princess Grill on the QE2 the waiting steward was trying to persuade my husband, who never takes a dessert, to have a baked Alaska. He was joking with her and saying that he would only have a baked Alaska if it was  paraded and served with a sparkler.

I was aware something was happening when I saw the steward speak to the Maitre d then one of our dinning companions reaching for her camera. In good QE2 style my husband got what he asked for, a Baked Alaska with a sparkler, and the joke was on him.  

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2011, 08:29 PM by Lynda »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2010, 07:14 PM »
SO now we never joke with a steward about having something we think they can't manage cause they ALWAYS did.....only on  QE2....of course!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2010, 02:53 AM »
No cherries in the Mauritania (I think?)
just the riot of fireworks, lots of different flags hanging from the deck head,
Chefs' big hats, happy customers, clapping and A Life on the Ocean Wave! :)
Very different on Cunarders these days :(

I can report that we had the tasty flamed cherries in Mauritania as well as in Caronia.  They were flamed right near our table as well and once again, added to the entire experience, just as was the plating of the dinners.  Great times onboard and excellent wait staff.  I always marvelled how they would use the utensils in their hand to serve the after dinner candies too.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2010, 11:23 PM »
If thats the best they can do in the Queens Grill, l would put it back.

It was delicious however - and those cherries were wonderful. One of the things that was so nice about the Queens' Grill was the huge variety of incentiary puddings offered.

Including, once, chocolate crepes suzette. Just a bright idea of Denis' which worked surprisingly well. I was one of those who always had the option of crepes suzette without a special order - but then, as we keep saying, that was QE2......

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:31 PM »
  A Beef Wellington carved tableside was an experience, then again it was a special table...     
Came across this while looking for something else, knew l had the photo somewhere..
and it has the snowflake plates....
October 1988

:(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:05 PM by Cunardqueen »

Offline Steve & Mark

« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Well here is the Baked Alaska Parade on the Final Voyage in the Caronia Restaurant.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Thanks the video brings back lots of memories of the Baked Alaska parade onboard QE2.  They do not do the Baked Alaska parade on the new Cunard ships for Health and Safety reasons, although they still do a parade of the chefs.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:58 PM »
Recently l was out with friends in Arcadia,California and to celebrate a birthday we visited The Derby.. you can imagine the surprise when the waitress announced they would bring out a Baked Alaska to celebrate the event. ;D

Never imagined l would taste such a lovely dish ever again..there was sadly no parade as such or cherries, and while l relished every mouthful, the fellow guests couldnt understand my excitement at it all, their impression was it was just a burnt top on some ice cream sponge, l of course saw it as a memory from the past, the celebrations in the Mauretania, the linking of hands and age old tradition on QE2. Ok l must admit it did taste a bit burnt.. but never the less the memories came flooding back.
The waitress poured a small amount of drink on each plate and then set it on fire before putting the BA on the plate..

QE2 lives on in the most unexpected places...

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:00 AM »
It was only on the QE2 that I ate Baked Alaska because of the parade and the flambe cherries. I never eat it on the new ships because it does not seems special. 

...and yes I can understand your excitement Myles when the Baked Alaska was served for what was a special occasion with your friends.
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Friends of the Baked Alaska uniteGiven that its the photo of the month, lets revisit the BAP topic...
Like it,love it  ;D ;D  loathe it..
What do some of the newer members think, or indeed whats eveyones views..

Offline saltcay

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 05:29 PM »
These were from my first TA Crossing on the QE2 in 2003.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42 PM »
It might be interesting to know what the crew, waiters or kitchen staff thought of these events. It cant have been easy trying to co ordinate these parades in the restaurant. And given that perhaps it kept them longer out front, than say a normal dinner, it perhaps reduced their time for drinking....

Offline lisbon85

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Taken in May 2008
norma

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: Bakes Alaska Parade on QE2
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 07:36 PM »
But did they do it on QE1 or QM1 or early QE2 for instance?  Doesn't seem likely...

They certainly didn't do it on QE2 when I was on board '79 - '82 not even on cruises, far too tacky.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Thank you, Saltcay and Lisbon85, for your great Baked Alaska memories and pictures!

It would be lovely to use these (and others in this topic) for the May competition.

Please let us know whether you would like any help to upload them to the Gallery, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=94

Apart from all that, I do agree with Alan and his far too tacky... It would be interesting to know when the Baked Alaska Parade was started... and whether it ever took place in all the restaurants.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Cruise Critic also have discussion on when the Baked Alaska Parade started onboard ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=555466

Baked Alaska Parades were held in the Mauritania Restaurant onboard QE2 between 1996 and 2004 when I cruised on the ship.  These parades did not take place in the Grills Restaurant but I cannot remember if the Caronia restaurant did the Baked Alaska parade.
www.qe2event.com

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #35 on: Jun 30, 2013, 01:17 AM »
The whole Parade thing was way after my time, but thinking about it I may have been in on an early experimental attempt - a prototype - an off broadway workup of the whole nine yards with spaklers event.

It was the night of my youngest brother's birthday (think he was six). We were eating in the TOW, Dad was there in Mess Kit (nothing but the Engineers' Alarm was getting him out of this dinner) we were all dressed up :-[, and we were having a lovely time. Then, towards the end of the meal, instead of the desserts we had asked for, our waiters turned up carrying a baked alaska with a candle in it and followed by a small army of other waiters who all started singing Happy Birthday at him :o. It had been one of our waiters who had suggested a baked alaska when mum had enquired about a cake for him at the start of the trip. The rest I guess was him and his mates. That was Old Cunard. This wasn't waiters doing what they were told, but what they could to make the punter feel special. Even when that punter is barely out of infancy and only on there coz his dad is on the staff.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2013, 05:26 PM by riskygizmo »
Full Away on Passage.