Author Topic: QE2's 1992 Martha's Vineyard Grounding  (Read 36086 times)

Offline highlander0108

QE2's 1992 Martha's Vineyard Grounding
« on: Feb 28, 2009, 03:46 AM »
Here is a link to the accident report on the August 7, 1992 grounding off Cuttyhunk Island, which is off Martha's Vinyard, Massachusetts.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/queen_elizabeth_2_pub_1993.pdf

I remember event this vividly. QE2 made all the news here and although the amount of damage was downplayed, the inevitable comparisions were made to Titanic.  This incedent made QE2 famous, like she needed more notoriety, for illustrating a not widely understood phenomima called suction, where the hydrodynamic properties of the hull running at speed in shallow waters actually pulls the hull towards the bottom.  The amount of "squat" or suction that a large ship creates was not commonly known outside of theoretical engineering circles.  QE2 rather dramatically illustrated this effect.  In defense of the Captain and pilot, the charts had the depth wrong as well.

Michael Gallacher give more details about the Martha's Vineyard Grounding in the "Hull Patches -what was each one from" topic
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 03:22 PM by Rob Lightbody »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline pete cain

Re: 1992 Martha's Vinyard Grounding
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Hi Ken, most interesting reading ,I've seen similar reports but this is obviously the full report, I've searched high & low for dockyrd photos of the damage but havn't seen any; were there ever any & if so were they all secreted away???? pete cain

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:02 PM »
I'd like to see some good photos as well.  Perhaps someone in the shipyard took some and in time will come forward with them.  Of course, you can bet it was fully documented by Cunard.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

KEV

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2009, 12:00 AM »
What a fascinating report. Obviously a very serious and expensive incident,fortunately with no injuries. It highlighted to me though just what skilled work goes on behind the cossetted world of us passengers

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I have some news reports about this in my scrapbooks that were sent me by an American penfriend at the time, and I suspect she did a lot more damage to herself than merely a scratch on her bottom.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I was onboard when it happened in  August 1992.We had just sailed from Marthas Vineyard it was evening was a PRS then working in the old Midships bar when it struck. I think i have pics somewhere as soon as i find it ill post some

Cheers Louis

KEV

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Louis-you are already proving a great eyewitness man on the spot to some of the things that little is published about-nice one!

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Agree with Kev there Louis and always interesting to hear things from a crew perspective.   
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Heres the QE2 in Boston drydock.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:24 AM »
An awesome photo.

Doing a google news search,  there was a lot of press coverage of this incident.  Sadly, all these news agencies have a pay-per-view on their archives.   It would make facinating reading.

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Hi Everybody,

The best report of this incident, and the damage it caused, that I have seen, illustrated with a couple of rather average B&W photos showing the damage, is to be found in the later version (2002) of David F. Hutchings 'QE2 A Ship for All Seasons'

An excellent book, many many facts about the ship and its career, and easy to find things in as well. I like the early version (of which there is more than one) so much I bought the updated version to go with it when it came out.

Anyone wanting it should have no trouble finding it through amazon or elsewhere nice and cheap as it is out of print but not rare.

Cheers  8)

The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2009, 04:27 PM »
Found this image on the Maritime Traffic website here:

Note: link to Marine Traffic not active
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2022, 09:47 AM by Lynda Bradford »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Excellent set of photos, thanks for sharing, scroll through to number 21 for the Boston Dry Dock one.... Cheers!
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Andy F

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Agree Andy, an excellent collection indeed.  Great to see some of Chris' shots included and enjoyed seeing the ones taken in Piraeus last year as was aboard at the time.
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

KEV

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2009, 08:25 PM »
great collection

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1397
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2576
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody