Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Wardroom  (Read 20077 times)

Offline riskygizmo

Re: The Wardroom
« Reply #40 on: Mar 28, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Previously stashed tinnies - obviously!

Of course. To paraphrase Mel Gibson in that film wot he done

"They may take our bar but they'll never take our LAGER!" :)
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #41 on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Actually what used to happen was the keys were kept on the bridge. 12-4 mate would bring them down, or somebody would go and get them. If the NHO didn't take them up there a search party was sent out!

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
« Reply #42 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:46 PM »
They kept that one quiet...
2000-2007

Offline Rod

« Reply #43 on: Mar 28, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Actually Matron, the front shutters of the bar could be opened with a table knife! The side door if the bolts were not properly secured could also be opened with relative ease!

"They may take our bar but they'll never take our LAGER!" :)

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
« Reply #44 on: Mar 31, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Well it did seem a bit OTT for things to be forcibly shut at 1am, so I'm glad that the appropriate people knew the way around the system!  Of course being a very conscientious and responsible nurse (like each and every one of my colleagues of course), I would never have needed a table knife ;D

But it was still a very sad day when the DIY service and tally sheets were replaced with a barman and hiked prices....
2000-2007

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #45 on: Aug 06, 2013, 08:24 PM »
On the world cruises the Officers would organize the "Wardy Show" raised a lot of money for charity.

;D
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #46 on: Aug 06, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Nice!

A few well-known names there, including at least one well-known Forum member...  ;D .

Would have been a fun night -- and good for the charities!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #47 on: Aug 06, 2013, 09:58 PM »
;D

Awesome to see this? I wonder if this was the last show before the big refit?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Rod

« Reply #48 on: Aug 06, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Awesome to see this? I wonder if this was the last show before the big refit?

Yes it was! The ABF Steam Wardy show, produced by yours truly! ABF stood for Absolutely Bloody Final Steam Wardy Show.
The Deck Officers on watch would put a walky-talky with the transmit switch taped down so they could listen while on watch.
During one WC show, an Hotel Officer, dressed in fishnet stockings and French Maids outfit sold ice creams, just like the olden days with the tray in front of him supported by the strap around the neck. No  change given of course! He made over $1,000! He did not shave his beard for the occasion and I never figured out where he got the size 11 (mens) high heeled shoes!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #49 on: Aug 14, 2015, 03:44 AM »
I recall that one trip we had the shoreside Trafalgar House Head of Nursing on board (Trafalgar House had a habit of sending senior office staff on freebie jaunts ... getting under everyone's feet). Well, it appears she was horrified at the amount the officers drank on board. Amongst her suggestions was that the company should introduce basket weaving as a nice abstemious hobby to occupy the officers. Of course this never happened.

I do remember that shortly after her report went into Head Office, the Captain (can't recall which one) instructed that officers could no longer buy rounds in the bar - the 'round system' was leading to over indulgence. Joe Yexley was instructed that he could only serve one drink at a time to each officer - ie an officer could not buy a round for the group, each had to buy his/her own. This did not go down well at all and led to much disgruntled mumbling at the bar.  >:( Fortunately when that Captain was relieved, the rule fell into abeyance, never to raise its head again. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2015, 02:18 PM by Boris »

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #50 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03:44 AM »
The "Original" Wardy plaque was a silhouette of the funnel. It was called the "Hoover" plaque for obvious reason if you saw it.

Sorry about the delay, but have finally got around to taking a snap of the "Hoover"
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 09:11 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #51 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Hoovers clean where Dysons suck.... :o

Taken years ago onboard , the observant among you will note its not plugged in.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #52 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Great posts!

I love "The Hoover Plaque!"

Its wee gems like that, which surface on this site, but not elsewhere (or if they do, they are lost!).

- R
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Boris 'Button' methinks?

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2016, 11:15 PM »
Great photos and love the Hoover nickname for the plaque. Something I didn't know but it makes so much sense when looking at it :)

PS: My Dyson is brilliant ;)
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
The Wardroom - Who do you recognise here?
« Reply #55 on: Mar 30, 2016, 12:19 PM »
(Courtesy of Marty Kay)

Offline Dave Lowing

« Reply #56 on: Mar 30, 2016, 01:25 PM »
I recognize Joe Yexley behind the nurse and Ray Divett, far right. Others I can recognize faces, but not put names to them.

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #57 on: Mar 30, 2016, 01:59 PM »
I recognize Joe Yexley behind the nurse and Ray Divett, far right. Others I can recognize faces, but not put names to them.
The nurse is Debbie Cree with her hands on her future husband Adrian Jenkinson, also kneeling is Willy Gray and the hotel officer behind the other girl I dont recognise, is Robin Bowie.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #58 on: Mar 30, 2016, 04:58 PM »
Perhaps a young Chief Engineer in the making also...

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #59 on: Mar 31, 2016, 01:43 AM »
... the other girl I dont recognise...

That's not an easy one. She never worked on the ship: it's Rosemary Kay, Marty's wife - accompanying spouse for the voyage.

Everyone has done very well so far ... all accurate. But a few to go.

Come on Rod, I'm sure you can fill the blanks.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2016, 01:36 PM by Boris »

Offline ship pro

« Reply #60 on: Mar 31, 2016, 06:06 PM »
From left Alan Burbage,Chris Flather,Diane Ginn,?, George spicer, Ian Forrest and Trevor Gratten next to Ray Divett.
Not sure of the date maybe 1980?

Offline Rod

« Reply #61 on: Apr 04, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Sorry late to the party. Chilly get them all bar 2. The one next to  George Spicer is I believe an Hotel Officer.  Could the other lady be a nurse ....Barbara, believe she married Nick Carter.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #62 on: Apr 07, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Standing: Alan Burbage, 8) ,  Dienn Ginn (seated), Les Jones, George Spicer, Ian Forrest, Joe Yexley, Debbie Cree, Trevor Gratten, Ray Divett.
Kneeling: Robin Bowie, Rosemary Kay, Willy Gray, Adrian Jenkinson.

No Chilly,  8) was not Flabs; nor was it 1980. But well done on filling in the gaps on some of the culprits

Well done 'Wardy team': a score between you of 79%.

Interestingly, you didn't get Les Jones (lecky). Rosemary was a hard one as she wasn't a serving officer and I would have been surprised if anyone at all would have identified her. The only one outstanding is  8) - but no more hints and he shall remain incognito.

Despite the ravages of age and alcohol, a laudable effort by all considering the passage of 40 years - you should be congratulated on your 'total recall' (regardless of what your spouses may say behind your backs).
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2016, 11:01 AM by Boris »

Offline Rod

« Reply #63 on: Apr 07, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Les Jones.!!!!! Good one! Only had one kidney and went on to be Chief Leccy on the old Cunard Ambassador ferrying sheep.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #64 on: Apr 07, 2016, 01:32 PM »
... The nurse is Debbie Cree with her hands on her future husband Adrian Jenkinson ...
Never picked up on it before, but interesting body language.

Offline Rod

« Reply #65 on: Apr 07, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Sadly both Debbie and Jinxy have passed away.

Offline ship pro

« Reply #66 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Hi Boris and Rod
Yes it's a good photo, I think Trevor Gratten went to Cunard princess as chief elect in 1975 so is the photo 74? And is it you doing a Chris Flather impersonation? I don't remember you being that tall.
As it happens I met up with Martin Kay,rosemary and Nigel rigg in chester after you had met him Last year when I left them I was walking down the high street and I bump into Brian Price, the cruise director, what's the chances of that!

Cheers

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #67 on: Apr 16, 2016, 04:44 AM »
Well done Chilly - right on both counts.

Amazing coincidence, meeting Brian Price. Though I guess ex-Cunarders are two a penny in the North West.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:42 PM »
Rosie,..... Various items from the Wardroom have found their way into QE2's "Lobby" (the old cruise terminal she's docked alongside) such as the first RMS Mauretania's telegraph so maybe this chair is in the "Lobby" too?
Thomas

Thank you, Thomas
About the 1977 Queens Chair in the Wardroom
Rob - Please do you remember seeing it on your 2011 visit?

And to the Officers and Special Visitors et al!
The chair looks to be an important part of QE2's history
Was it used on a daily basis - and it would be interesting to know who commissioned, designed and presented it etc
Please, can anyone add 'further details'?
Many thanks
Rosie

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2019, 07:03 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #69 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:31 AM »
The 3rd picture down in the last post looks like Clive Meek.
Or Brian Orwin?? Hard to tell with the pint obscuring.

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #70 on: Jun 29, 2019, 03:49 AM »
I thought it was Brian Orwin too, but by ‘87 a bit greyer round the gills.

Offline BlueSparky

« Reply #71 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:52 AM »
Yes I've got one of those too. Bought from the PO's Club during one of my invites into there. Dropped at at some point and chipped a bit of the green enamel which was a pity.

I had one of those, I bought one for my dad when I worked on there in 88/89. Even though I was radio personnel, not allowed to be a member of the wardroom because we weren’t signed on as radio officer, even though we were fully qualified! But that is another story. So we ere members of the PO’s mess instead.

My son has it now

And can’t believe  that nobody has come up with the term used for wardroom parties as “cake and arse” parties.... that is what was used by my old Cunard mate and a term I still use to this day 😂

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #72 on: Feb 23, 2020, 01:26 PM »
Thank you, Thomas
About the 1977 Queens Chair in the Wardroom
Rob - Please do you remember seeing it on your 2011 visit?

And to the Officers and Special Visitors et al!
The chair looks to be an important part of QE2's history
Was it used on a daily basis - and it would be interesting to know who commissioned, designed and presented it etc
Please, can anyone add 'further details'?
Many thanks
Rosie

(Image removed from quote.)

I have been trying to find out what has happened to the Silver Jubilee chair and to gleen some back story regarding its history, such as: Was this Cunard or Wardroom property? Who presented it, etc.

As far as I can ascertain it’s not in the QE2 Hotel Terminal, or rather I haven’t noticed it in photos.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #73 on: Feb 23, 2020, 01:47 PM »
The Wardroom has been totally transformed into a new bar as part of the rebuilding of Boat Deck forward which has entailed extending the Queens Grill forward eliminating the toilets / Caledonia Suite / officers cabins on the port side and the officers cabins on the starboard side.

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #74 on: Feb 23, 2020, 03:28 PM »
The Wardroom has been totally transformed into a new bar as part of the rebuilding of Boat Deck forward which has entailed extending the Queens Grill forward eliminating the toilets / Caledonia Suite / officers cabins on the port side and the officers cabins on the starboard side.

When I do eventually visit her, it will feel very sad to stand in that part of the bar/lounge where my cabin B4 was situated.

Offline sotonsean

• QE2 Crew member
  • Pavillion Snacker
  • A picture taken in 1984
« Reply #75 on: Feb 23, 2020, 05:36 PM »
Yes it was! The ABF Steam Wardy show, produced by yours truly! ABF stood for Absolutely Bloody Final Steam Wardy Show.
The Deck Officers on watch would put a walky-talky with the transmit switch taped down so they could listen while on watch.
During one WC show, an Hotel Officer, dressed in fishnet stockings and French Maids outfit sold ice creams, just like the olden days with the tray in front of him supported by the strap around the neck. No  change given of course! He made over $1,000! He did not shave his beard for the occasion and I never figured out where he got the size 11 (mens) high heeled shoes!

That hotel officer was MALCOLM SMITH from the Finance Department, a hideous character I must say. I was working with him at the time and I can honestly say that we didn't have a very good relationship. I remember him wearing that outfit prior and was shocked to know that he had a variety of outfits onboard.

I never saw him after leaving the QE2 until one day he walked right in front of my car nearly knocking him over in Bournemouth where he lived. He never recognised me behind the wheel but I instantly recognized him and to be honest I found it  rather funny.

He tried to make my life hell on-board the QE2 but it was all down to pure jealousy because, both being gay men I never showed any interest in him and he hated it. Definitely not someone who I have fond memories of. His awful side kick was JAMES TODHUNTER, a more vile individual than MALCOLM SMITH.
I joined QE2 in September 1983 as an assistant waiter becoming a full time waiter in the Columbia Restaurant in October 1983.
In June 1984 I became a petter officer in the Accounts/Pursers Office. I left QE2 in April 1987 to work on the cross channel ferries untill October 1998 as Dep Purser.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #76 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:27 AM »
  Definitely not someone who I have fond memories of. His awful side kick was JAMES TODHUNTER, a more vile individual than MALCOLM SMITH.

As a young passenger in the late 80s l did hear JDT could and did indeed make life hell if any of the crew crossed him.
Perhaps thats how or why he "left" QE2 for one of the other ships.