Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Steiners Hair Salon  (Read 3306 times)

Cruise_Princess

Steiners Hair Salon
« on: Jul 10, 2010, 09:52 AM »
I was just thinking about the salon yesterday......and it was almost as important as getting your cruise booked a year ahead to book your salon appointments prior to the cruise as it was almost impossible to get one once on board particularly for formal nights as it was always chocca block.....( I'm talking a long time ago here.....about 10 years or so pre carnivalisation).....formal nights were THE thing on board QE2 and every woman HAD to look her best....just wondering specially as now we have SARA STEINER on board,...what was it actually like in there on formal nights in particular....it just seemed to go on and on....there was hair going up , being back combed and diamante or maybe it was diamond!!  bling placed at elegant angles....there was the shampoo and set lot....some had a stunning re style.. the chit chat was amazing...everyone was going to a cocktail party somewhere on the ship....it was hard to believe there were so many going on ...I used to listen in wonder at the ladies going to the Captains Private Quarters for cocktails...WOW ..they MUST be Royalty!!!    But one day it was our turn to go there too.....It was great fun....it was fascinating to watch .....then trying to spot the ladies who were in at the same time as you in their lovely evening dresses. around the ship......many were Japanese and wore fabulous gowns complete with furs...they were amazing.....sometimes I had to go fully dressed to the salon as appointments sometimes were very close to  those constant cocktail parties....and I well remember sitting there in my long dress holding the clips ready to have my hair put up....to have your hair done by a name like STEINER on board the QE2 was very very special indeed.

This always made you feel soooo special...you felt and looked like someone else when all dressed up and hair to match......sadly this declined in QE2's final years....as not nearly so may people kept this up ...perhaps mainly to do with the relaxation of dress codes plus the cost of having your hair  done compared to the reduction in the cost of cruising now.

Have never had the same experience again...tried on the QM2....but was nearly an hour late and the girl didn't even know how to do a  simple french pleat.....and didn't even have basic english....needless to say the entire voyage appointments were cancelled... I now do it myself......changed days....another glamorous piece of real cruising has gone....
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010, 12:02 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline SaraSteiner

Re: Steiners Hair Salon
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Oh what a shame to realise those special hairdo's have all gone. We had to be able to everything. I remember one lady coming in and asking if anyone could do 'finger waving' No one knew how to and then I said that I could (praying that I could remember from my college days) Have to say it wasn't bad either and she went out very pleased.
Sallie AKA
SaraSteiner
Sallie AKA Sara

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Well done Sally!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2010, 03:04 PM »
My Mum isn't one for beauty salons or even fancy hair salons, but our QE2 cruise was an enormous treat for both of us, and I persuaded her to go and have her nails done and I think she had a facial too.  She has gone on and on about it ever since. She said the service and skills demonstrated were absolutely superb, and the price was reasonable too - I think it was a real high point for her, and one of the many ways in which QE2 quietly hit the spot in terms of true luxury.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline SaraSteiner

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2010, 03:10 PM »
That is good to hear!
Sallie AKA Sara

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:10 PM »
And another thing... I go on and on about how absolutely blissful it was to enjoy a hot stone massage (a birthday treat from my Mum) from Steiner's on board QE2 and to feel the warmth of those stones after the massage as such, while being very gently rocked by the great ship herself.

:D ;D :D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:45 AM »
I must confess and this may come as a surprise, l tended to go to the free champagne introduction on embarkation day for the Golden Door and sign up for some err treatments, usually for an inport day as they were cheaper and normally as soon as the place opened up. Not that lm a cheapskate, l just like good value.
The very first time l thought it would be a novel idea to get my hair cut and l always remember his name Barry. A young thing and probably only a few years older than me. With his kind hands he cut my hair in 1987 at the price of $13.50 if l recall, at the time it seemed very expensive, but hey it was QE2. .

On a later visit I did throw caution to the wind and suggest perhaps a restyle and give me a new look, well lm not sure what the hair stylist thought l was looking for, but during the makeover, for want of a better word, he was cutting this and drying that and during the process l was most eager to see the finished new look, well when l looked in the mirror and saw the new image, l just smiled very sweetly and said its lovely. Tore back to the cabin and washed out the hair spray and got my hair back to normal again, The new look l didnt care for, lots of forward brushing, and i just thought it could only be described as very camp, and really not me at all, well it was a long time ago.
 Then in recent years l tended to go for the head and neck massage, which l always throughly enjoyed and actually looked forward to on the voyages.
 A number of years ago on a weekend break at a golfing hotel in rural Perthshire with a friend we opted for the aromotherapy and massage as a bit of  ajoke, well l dont know what kind of massage it was, but vigorous sprang to mind, not only did l leave feeling very tired but l ached in places l didnt know l had.
 Isabelle  It was the hot stone massage that always interested me, but l was just to tight to pay the money they were asking. 
 Then there was the time l had highlights done in Kings Road, not one of my better ideas.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:24 PM »
Can any of our members help?

We have received an email from a researcher who is looking for photos or video footage of the Steiner Beauty Lounge in the early 1980's.  See below for content of email:

I’m currently researching the tragic disappearance of estate agent Suzy Lamplugh in 1986.  In the course of my research I noted that Ms Lamplugh worked aboard the QE2 around 1982 as a beautician in the Steiner Beauty Lounge.

I can see that many ex-Steiner staff are very active members of your forum.  The reason I am contacting you is that I would be very interested in sourcing stills or footage of the Steiner Beauty Lounge in the very early 1980’s and thought perhaps that some of your members might be willing or able to help.  At this point we are trying to illustrate what life might have looked like working on board for a young woman like Suzy.

I’m aware that this is a subject of great sensitivity and rest assured we are making a respectful, informative programme that is attempting to throw light on this ongoing mystery.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:53 PM »
On Vistafjord in the late 90s we had an American lady by the name of Madeleine Steiner who was a regular traveller, her claim to fame [& fortune] was that she had opened the first boutique in New York in the early 60s, sometime she looked like she was still wearing the original stock!!

Anyway, it was common practice for Madeleine to go to have her hair done, and the usual trick that the older Steiner girls would play on any newbie was to tell them that this was the actual 'STEINER' of Steiners!

Sadly, when Vistafjord went out of the fleet, so did Madeleine, but she still left me and i suspect many other people with fond, and amusing memories of her.   

Offline Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Lido Diner
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2020, 11:11 PM »
aah, Steiner girls. So many memories. Those girls could drink

Offline Rod

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2020, 12:01 AM »
My first wife was a Steiners beautician. She ended up by being Elton Johns wifes (Renata) personal beautician.

I would drive her up to The John's farm in Windsor and wait around for her to finish her tasks. Had "breakfast" with Elton several times in his kitchen. Bloody Mary's, with Elton in pajamas and dressing gown. Kitchen was about the size of the apartment I now live in.
Connecting the kitchen dining areas to the living portion of the "house" was a 2 story corridor about 50 feet long. Walls were floor to ceiling gold and platinium records!
He is a very nice, down to earth man BTW!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2020, 09:06 AM »
Fantastic to hear the memories of the Steiner Girls and Rod's memory of being in Elton John's house. Please keep posting as these memories would be lost forever if they were not shared.

Kate Norton who is doing research on Suzy Lamplugh is looking for photo or video footage of the Steiner Salon, if you can help let us know.  Plus if anyone remembers Suzy I am sure she would be interested to hear from you.

She wrote the following to Admin Mail box:

"By way of introduction my name is Kate Norton and I’m an archive researcher for a media company called Shearwater media.  I’m currently researching the tragic disappearance of estate agent Suzy Lamplugh in 1986.  In the course of my research I noted that Ms Lamplugh worked aboard the QE2 around 1982 as a beautician in the Steiner Beauty Lounge.

I can see that many ex-Steiner staff are very active members of your forum.  The reason I am contacting you is that I would be very interested in sourcing stills or footage of the Steiner Beauty Lounge in the very early 1980’s and thought perhaps that some of your members might be willing or able to help. 

At this point we are trying to illustrate what life might have looked like working on board for a young woman like Suzy.

I’m aware that this is a subject of great sensitivity and rest assured we are making a respectful, informative programme that is attempting to throw light on this ongoing mystery."

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com