Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Mary - key ring and medal  (Read 8800 times)

Offline Waverley

Queen Mary - key ring and medal
« on: Jul 07, 2010, 09:18 PM »
When tidying up I came across a key fob which was produced from the metal from her propellors.   Also in the box was a medal/ coin which seems to have been made by the Daily Record in 1934.

Does anyone have any information about this medal. How many were made. Were they handed out at the launch?

See photos
Robert

Offline Jem

Re: Queen Mary - key ring and medal
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2010, 03:51 AM »
I have a key ring like that, except mine was made from the main mast of the Cutty Sark.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2010, 10:59 AM »
I have a small wooden barrel ( shaped like a whisky barrel but only a couple of inches high and open at one end for use as a pen holder ) which is made from the teak of HMS Ganges, the RN's last traditional sailing ship.

And somewhere ( but I haven't been able to find it for ages, which is worrying! ) I should have a letter opener made from the teak deck planking of HMS Ajax ( as in Battle of the River Plate ).
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

RmsAquitania

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:22 PM »
The key-ring etc looks the same or very similar to the ones that were made after her massive refit after arriving in the US. they are often for sale on the likes of ebay.

jcracing

« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2010, 05:49 PM »
This was produced cc 1991 by a 'company' called The Queen Mary Propellor Company Ltd (or some such) run by a Michael Cutcliffe and his partner John Bowden. The actual propellor used is in some doubt (was it really from the Queen Mary?) as was the make-up of the various products (which included coasters, medals and even a scale model of the ship) as it was suggested that very little of the propellor material (if any) was used!

The same company also purported to have used metal from the mast of the Cutty Sark to make similar of the smaller products. I know because that Christmas, with honourable intentions at the time, I operated a stall in the Bargate centre shopping arcade in Southampton for them, which sold all these 'items' - and I even had a tape of Queen Mary launching the RMS Queen Mary ("I name this ship..." etc) to assist this!!

I think (in hindsight) that the whole thing was unfortunately actually a con - but imaginative none the less - of course I might be wrong!

John Bowden died some time ago and the last I heard of the charming (but rascally) Michael Cutcliffe was that he had had quite a serious stroke...If I was you I'd have the item's metallic content tested!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2010, 08:57 PM »
The actual propellor used is in some doubt (was it really from the Queen Mary?) as was the make-up of the various products (which included coasters, medals and even a scale model of the ship) as it was suggested that very little of the propellor material (if any) was used!

All four of Queen Mary's service propellers are still accounted for, that she arrived with in California... one still on the Queen Mary, two in the parking lot, and another at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum.  QM may have had a spare with her when she arrived in California, but I'm not positive about that.  Cunard surely had a spare laying around somewhere in Southampton?

I've collected items made from Mauretania's teak...

A complete range of desk-top items were made, plus napkin rings, ashtrays ,match boxes...

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Kyle
And the table the lovely collection of items are resting on.... it looks very recognisable  :)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jem

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2010, 09:55 PM »

The same company also purported to have used metal from the mast of the Cutty Sark to make similar of the smaller products. I know because that Christmas, with honourable intentions at the time, I operated a stall in the Bargate centre shopping arcade in Southampton for them, which sold all these 'items' - and I even had a tape of Queen Mary launching the RMS Queen Mary ("I name this ship..." etc) to assist this!!

Thankfully I do know mine is genuine as I purchased it direct from the Cutty Sark website.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2010, 12:01 AM »
2K, that barrel at the front left of your picture is just about identical to the HMS Ganges one I have that I mentioned in post #2. :)

And the letter opener further back is identical to the one i can't find which was made from HMS Ajax! :)

Can we deduce, therefore, that these are a standard design of collectible that were made from the teak from various old ships?  Do the same products exist from other ships?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2010, 12:19 AM »

Can we deduce, therefore, that these are a standard design of collectible that were made from the teak from various old ships?  Do the same products exist from other ships?

I think it's probable, with the items from various ship's scrappings made by the same company.  I love having a bit of the Grand Old Lady of the Atlantic with me.  :)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:09 AM »
We have received a request from Annalisa Evelyn Arnold to help her with some information about the medal pictured in the  photographs attached. She writes :

Quote from:  Annalisa Evelyn Arnold
My name is Annalisa Evelyn Arnold. I was searching for information on a medal I have that I found in my jewelry  box. It looks like the one you have displayed, I noticed it hanging behind the Glass because it was moving back and forth I thought we were about to or were having an earthquake, I got up and grabbed it. I have no idea where it came from. At all. So it must mean something so I'm researching it in hope to find its meaning and maybe find the owner I guess that's me now but just would like to know more. I am not selling it. I just was curious as to the back ground. I thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Bless you and yours.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2017, 12:22 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:20 AM »
What an interesting find to have the medal commemorating Queen Mary at Long Beach.  She arrived at Long Beach on 9 December 1967 and on 11 December 1967 she was removed from British Registry and officially turned over to the City of Long Beach. 

I have no idea how she would find the owner but as she is in possession of the medal, perhaps a member of her family have a connection.  Either worked or sailed on Queen Mary. 
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2017, 09:29 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Hugh Morrison

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38 PM »
I also have one of the Daily Record Medals.
It belonged to my father who told me that it was given away with every copy of the newspaper on the day of the launch.
It is kept in a box with my grandfather's and father's war and service medals.
My father said he kept it originally as it was a symbol of the end of the Great Depression.

Hugh.