Author Topic: QE2 Whistles  (Read 100415 times)

Offline pete cain

Re: QE2 Whistles
« Reply #150 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:19 PM »
just so love the bakelite switches, on the control panel, they must have so much to tell

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #151 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:39 PM »
From some Google images research of her in the 1970s, the fog horn appears to have only been added after her 1977 Bayonne refit with the addition of the grand suites (Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth). But after she lost her bow anchor (whenever that was in the late 1970s).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #152 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:42 PM »
just so love the bakelite switches, on the control panel, they must have so much to tell

Indeed! It was very interesting to see her original bridge equipment working side by side with modern "2000s" era equipment that had been retrofitted. She was a hybrid in many, many ways, and still is in a lot of ways.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #153 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:50 PM »
Other than at the noon tests, I believe, as shown in the photo, the switch was left at the "both" setting meaning that when  the button was pressed, the air and electric whistle/ horns sounded together and being slightly different frequencies gave rise to the characteristic beat frequency we all came to enjoy.

In a couple of videos from her last tandem (with QM2 - I was on QM2) in October 2008 there is a slight delay in both main horns sounding, a split second where you hear only one and then the familiar beat frequency starts. Heard onboard her and QM2. This was despite both being set to sound.

I am unsure where the fog horn's controls are as the original control panel does not seem to include it (for obvious reason)?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #154 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:07 AM »
QE2's Whistle Blowing and Blowing Passing Northumbrian Quay 17 Sept 2007

Thanks to magwaus

Rob mentioned QE2's whistle in his trip to the Ocean Liner Exhibit.  Listen and enjoy, courtesy of Rosie.  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline PJtheMuppet

Re: QE2 Funnel - and Whistle...
« Reply #155 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:47 PM »

QE2 sounding her horn before leaving Rotterdam in 2007. Probably one of the few videos where I actually shut up and didn't add any smart alec comments to. I do admit I was waiting for Queen Victoria to 'reply' but sadly I didn't hear anything.

Another slightly off topic question, does anyone use the recording of the whistle for their phone ring tones or anything? I use a recording of the whistle for my Skype ring tone - shocks me every time someone calls. And also as the alarm tone on my iPod. The whistle is the perfect way to get me out of bed. Only because it shocks me and then I can't get back to sleep.

I used to have it on my old phone but lost it when I changed to an Apple mobile :(
Keep the Faith!

Offline Rod

« Reply #156 on: Feb 22, 2019, 12:16 AM »
Trying to find a suitable ring tone to download. Lost the old one when I changed comps, have also changed phones since this was a topic on here. So with my new, to me at least, phone, I might actually be able to use it.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Get your QE2 Horn fix here...
« Reply #157 on: Mar 01, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Further up in this topic, Rosie draws attention to a QE2 whistle ringtone :

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/search/3842159.Get_your_free_QE2_ringtone_for_your_mobile_phone_/

We have had a request in connection with this ringtone offered by the Southampton Echo, since it seems to have disappeared...

Our member John Spofford, writes this :

Quote from: John Spofford
The Southampton Echo, the local newspaper in QE2’s former home port, printed a link, since removed, of a ring-tone of the whistle of QE2. It was downloadable for free, and a great addition/replacement for the dreary selection of ringtones on mobiles.
I have looked through the “Whistle” topic and only find You Tube clips that have a lot of extraneous noise on them, unsuitable for such an important ring-tone.
I thought with the clout of your Forum, you might be able to get it from the newspaper. Certainly worth a try, I should think.

Clout of our Forum... ;D ... that sounds nice... but it's a challenge...

Is anyone here on friendly terms with the Southampton Echo and can ask them to give us back our QE2 whistle?

I notice that the audio in Rob's original QE2 website also seems to have gone...

Offline Rod

« Reply #158 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:45 PM »
MP3# any use,
 Thanks to Skilly

« Reply #159 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:54 PM »
MP3# any use,
 Thanks to Skilly

Wow! Thank you, Rod and Skilly!

I hope that John with enjoy it :) .

Offline skilly56

« Reply #160 on: Mar 03, 2019, 02:34 AM »
A few years ago when I was working in the West Australian oil & gas industry we did a crew change in Dampier. We then had a couple of hours to wait in the Karratha airport terminal - must have been bored - we all downloaded the QE2 ringtone, set our phone alarms, and watched the confusion amongst the other pax as QE2's whistle started going off all around the little terminal. Memories!

I still have it as my alarm & ringtone - a nice loud deep note that I can hear above (or below) all other noises!

Skilly

« Reply #161 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:23 AM »
Thank you for the chuckle, Skilly -- I'd love to have been there!

QM2 Whistles

Started by ChrisBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 24
Views: 9367
Last post Jan 14, 2024, 12:18 PM
by Rob Lightbody