Author Topic: Upper Deck Galley  (Read 3992 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

Upper Deck Galley
« on: Jun 04, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Love the sign!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Upper Deck Galley
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2010, 11:18 PM »
On the 5th photo you can see the shell door that leads onto the balcony up in front ( the area was the Lookout Bar)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2010, 09:27 AM »
For what its worth the 2nd picture shows the waiter Hans. He on one of my cruises and worked along side Basil On the Captains Table. Basil was famed for working in the Golden Lion pub, and that became known affectionately as Basils Bistro. Much as though l hated the place l only ever ate a handful of times here.
Great photos as always !!!!
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2010, 09:33 AM »
It would be interesting to hear from a waiters point of view what exactly happened when the passengers order was taken and what the  process involved  ... Dinner times must have been a nightmare.
 Working in the hotel industry l always marvelled at how everything seemed so perfect, yes behind the scenes it must have been mayhem.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2010, 09:57 AM »
These images are amazing! Thank you very much.
The galley's look spotlessly clean -
the amount energy needed to work there must have been not inconsiderable!

Third picture from the top - second from the left -
A great guy, we got to know him on QE2 it was lovely to find him on QV!
He is a head waiter and supervises Afternoon Tea in the Queen's Room;
he does know about the Forum!
Myles, If he's around in a few weeks time,
and If it seems appropriate (he's a very busy man!)
I may be able to ask him whether there'd be a waiter keen to join us  :)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline foreshore

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2010, 03:19 PM »
On the 5th photo you can see the shell door that leads onto the balcony up in front ( the area was the Lookout Bar)
Louis, was that shell door still in working use? I guess it must have been to enable the access to the fwd open deck, but I wonder if/whether it affected USPH scoring?

Offline foreshore

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2010, 03:39 PM »
These images are amazing! Thank you very much.
The galley's look spotlessly clean -
the amount energy needed to work there must have been not inconsiderable!
Its always great to see the behind the scenes images - thanks Flagship. The paddling feet under the beautiful swan  :)

Although I only cruised on QE2, I can certainly vouch for the non-stop requirement for energy, working in equivalent areas on ss Canberra. In particular, cleanliness of galleys, food prep/service areas etc was (still is) such a major importance to maintain, especially when using US ports - USPH regulations & inspections are the toughest & highest in the world. Galleys were designed to be highly 'cleanable' with a sea of stainless steel on all surfaces & as few awkward spaces as possible.

We (Canberra) always had a massive work-up preparing for any arrival in US waters, but it was much less frequent than QE2. No doubt Louis & others wll have felt the pain in a much bigger way!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:13 AM »
The escalator was removed as the space was required for additional seats in the Britannia Restaurant (Upper Deck) and the revamped galley (Quarter Deck).

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:53 PM »
For what its worth the 2nd picture shows the waiter Hans. He on one of my cruises and worked along side Basil On the Captains Table. Basil was famed for working in the Golden Lion pub, and that became known affectionately as Basils Bistro. Much as though l hated the place l only ever ate a handful of times here.
Great photos as always !!!!

Not to stray too far off topic, but does anyone know if he retired or was "repositioned" on another ship.  We had him not only every time we had a pub lunch in the Golden Lion, but he also filled in the Mauretania Restaurant at our table once.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Michael, could you tell us please what was the difference between the Quarter Deck Galley and the Upper Deck Galley?

Different productions, or different restaurants to cater for?

Apart from these two, what other galleys were there on board (I can think of at least two or three...)?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Michael, could you tell us please what was the difference between the Quarter Deck Galley and the Upper Deck Galley?

Different productions, or different restaurants to cater for?

Apart from these two, what other galleys were there on board (I can think of at least two or three...)?

The Upper Deck Galley was only for the Mauretania,the Quarter Deck Galley was for the Princess/Britannia Grill and Caronia.Plus here was also the section for room service and the bar too.Also the Bakery manned around the clock was also located here.

The Queens Gril has it own galley ( its was the Coffee Shop when ship was launched) the Crew also have own galley on One Deck

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2015, 03:02 PM »
And how it looks in Dubai today this was taken in 2014,the 3rd photo above is roughly taken from the same position

Upper Clyde Shipbuilders - archiving records

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 855
Last post Feb 01, 2012, 05:56 PM
by Twynkle
The funnel goes on (upper & lower parts)

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 1
Views: 2060
Last post May 21, 2010, 07:53 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (Autopsy)

Started by pete cainBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 20
Last post Oct 14, 2019, 07:42 PM
by pete cain
George Parker - Shipyard Manager Upper Clyde Shipbuilders from 1968