Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Ocean Countess (ex Cunard Countess)  (Read 29599 times)

Cruise_Princess

Ocean Countess (ex Cunard Countess)
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Just planned a wee  last minute escape myself...taking Ocean Countess to the Fjords from Newcastle returning to Leith...blimey what have I done? Its not the QE2.,..but nothing is is it?  Hope we enjoy it......
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2010, 11:12 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Ocean Countess
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Well she is a former Cunarder at least!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Countess

Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Bob C.

Ocean Countess
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 06:13 PM »
It's not the Countess but here's a picture of her twin sister, Cunard Princess, in New York during the summer of 1977.  I took the picture from QE2 as we entered port that morning.

Online cunardqueen

Ocean Countess
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:50 AM »
I could scarecly believe my eyes on a med cruise in October 2004 the Countess was tied up in Piraeus. Try as l might l couldnt get onboard even for  a look. She was laid up for a time l believe. One lone guy at the shell door allowing no one onboard..

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img199/6325/mylesqe2october2004main.jpg[/img]

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img39/6325/mylesqe2october2004main.jpg[/img]

and for the heck of it.....

(doesnt she look grand!!!!)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

Ocean Countess
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2010, 08:50 AM »
It's not the Countess but here's a picture of her twin sister, Cunard Princess, in New York during the summer of 1977.  I took the picture from QE2 as we entered port that morning.
Bob
What a lovely photograph - Thanks for posting!
(Not quite pre1970 though,
and without the 'built in the UK' look about her!) 

I could scarecly believe my eyes on a med cruise in October 2004 the Countess was tied up in Piraeus. Try as l might l couldnt get onboard even for  a look. She was laid up for a time l believe. One lone guy at the shell door allowing no one onboard..

....(doesnt she look grand!!!!)
Myles
YES -She does look grand!
Do you by any chance know the name of the smaller ship in the top picture?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Cruise_Princess

Ocean Countess
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Oh Myles you left the best till last Im trying to get over her  ( but know I never will prob wont let myself either!!)and booked this wee daft cruise just for fun then a  wonderful piccy of Qe2  comes along....I've just fallen off the (QE2) wagon again...( not the alcholic one!!) 

Nice pics though thanks for posting...she is all white in colour now but I think she looked nicer with the dark blue hull...much more KLASSY!

Has anyone sailed on her yet? What is she like???

Online cunardqueen

Ocean Countess
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Rosie
 Its the "Jason" that was tied up there as well.
 But cruise princess it will be interesting to see what you think of the change of ships and if you can see any link to Cunard onboard
Cheers

Online Michael Gallagher

Ocean Countess
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2010, 11:13 AM »
It is interesting to note that her first call at Tilbury earlier this year was the first time she had ever visited the UK!

Offline Twynkle

Ocean Countess
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Rosie
 Its the "Jason" that was tied up there as well.
 But cruise princess it will be interesting to see what you think of the change of ships and if you can see any link to Cunard onboard
Cheers

Thanks Myles -
A wee escape with your Jason could be quite fun!
http://www.ssmaritime.com/OceanOdyssey.htm
Built in 1964, she comes from the same builders as QV and QE

Cruise Princess - Hope that you enjoy your holiday!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Cruise_Princess

Ocean Countess
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2010, 01:04 PM »
It is interesting to note that her first call at Tilbury earlier this year was the first time she had ever visited the UK!

Michael did you ever sall on her as a Cunarder out in the Caribbean?  I have a few brochures from that time but we never sailed on her as had to fly   ....BIG no no....

Will be cock a hoop if we have a porthole in our cabin as only have it on guaranteed O/S. if low enough  then I can watch the water reflection on the ceiling  and close my eyes and Im  back on QE2 again...SIMPLES eh???
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2010, 01:06 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Ocean Countess
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:41 PM »
Willem van der Leek managed to get an invitation on board and visited her on 19 April 2010 :

http://www.vdleek.nl/album10.html

He has four pages of photos of the visit, and she looks rather attractive. She is currently the other ship in the CMV fleet (i.e. a fleet mate of Marco Polo) and I imagine you will enjoy your time on board!

A real ship with teak deck planks  :D  .

I'll be very interested to hear how it went!

Cruise_Princess

Re: Ocean Countess
« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:49 PM »
Many thanks for the link Isabelle.....she looks good!

Offline andy liney

Re: Ocean Countess (ex Cunard Countess)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Just planned a wee  last minute escape myself...taking Ocean Countess to the Fjords from Newcastle returning to Leith...blimey what have I done? Its not the QE2.,..but nothing is is it?  Hope we enjoy it......

Have you been on this cruise yet?

My reason for asking is that she is now also sailing from Hull (our nearest port) for a few cruises this season, so we have booked one just to have a "look see". However, when you read reviews they are "mixed", to say the least, so I wondered what you made of her.

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the new Queen Elizabeth, which we also went on out of, rather than having high expectations. We enjoyed the cruise, but the ship is nothing exceptional, and just another upmarket cruise ship, except perhaps being the ugliest externally we have ever sailed on. The Countess is certainly a much better ship to look at!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:40 PM »
I understand from a friend who tried her out last year, that she is very pleasant and well worth trying. She is not a luxury ship, but if the service on Marco Polo is anything to go by, the atmosphere on board should be very pleasant.

And I love those ships with a history -- ships that can tell a story!

CMV are well worth supporting, as they are giving these two good ships a new lease of life, and that at a time when it is becoming more and more difficult to find real ships for an interesting voyage.

Go for it, Andy, and let us know afterwards what you thought!

And by the way, do I remember well that you were planning to visit the Rotterdam last year? If you did, a review would be very welcome there -- both pluses and minuses are of interest.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011, 12:43 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:31 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. We're already booked, departing 2 April, and I will report back.

It wasn't me that planned to visit the Roterdam, though - sorry!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:38 PM »
While we all hope the lady will be ok, wouldnt common sense have said stop the ship to ensure a safe transfer.
In this present day and age, who would be to blame for this. 

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Even if you were fit as a fiddle, can you imagine going from a warm stretcher, into minus three water?  It doesn't bear thinking about...

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Another thought is that, are patients usually strapped into the cradle during the transfer, If so you cant begin to imagine what it must be like..
Todays issue of The Sun reports that there is a chance of criminal charges and it amounts to gross negligence.
Meanwhile there is a missing passenger reported on a Thomson cruise during an Egyptian cruise   

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Didnt Cruise Princess report on her voyage with Ocean Countess that she was less than happy about the officers... l forget the exact details....