Author Topic: First time on QE2  (Read 2989 times)

suney

First time on QE2
« on: Jun 01, 2010, 03:28 PM »
My first cruise on the lovely QE2 was quite eventful.   We boarded her for 10 days in late October 2002.   The first night we were unable to leave Southampton due to strong gales in the Bay of Biscay.

When we did sail away, we caught up with the gale, which by this time, had developed into  Storm Force 11 which ran from midnight until roughly, 7am the next morning.   I found this quite exciting and was up for a good deal of the night, watching from the stateroom porthole, the huge waves.

Jim Bowen (Bullseye) was part of the entertainment for the cruise and was great fun, as well as being a good jazz trumpeter.   He 'built up' the anticipation of the threatened gale during the evening.   The seas were fairly stormy on our return from the Canary Islands and so the captain decided that we should dodge the worst of the gales by 'nipping into the Med' (sic), and our itinerary was so altered.   Jim Bowen made much of this 'mystery cruise' and the captain, as a way of retaliation, jokingly announced that when we arrived back in Southampton, Jim Bowen had offered his fleet of limos to get us all back to our homes!    The QE2 made light of this weather and being the great liner that she is, got us back to Southampton with no bother whatsoever.   Fabulous.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: First time on QE2
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2010, 04:55 PM »
That's interesting because Jim Bowen was the entertainer on our trip which left Southampton on 1st september 2002; I wonder if he had been on board continuously for two months or if he did our trip and was then ashore until your trip?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing your QE2 experience Suney and welcome onboard. 

The first time we sailed on the QE2 was a transatlantic trip and we also experienced some stormy seas but this did not put us off sailing again and again on our favourite ship.   She coped well with rough crossings and I always felt safe on board no matter how rough the seas were.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Hello Suney and Welcome on board!

It's good that you have joined us.
You will find lots here about QE2,
and hopefully you will enjoy yourself!

If you would like to tell us more of your QE2 experience,
you can be sure that lots of people will be interested  :)

Rosie