Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Changes Changes Changes (In her last few weeks of Cunard service)  (Read 3078 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

In the last few weeks of QE2's life several changes began to happen in public spaces as items were returned or general packing was underway. The pictures from top to bottom detail some of these:

1. On 10 October 2008 items in the Chart Room cabinet were returned to Southampton City Council so a map of Southampton was put in their place. Picture shows map in place.

2. The Mauretania Painting by the Chart Room was given back to Newcastle on 8 October. 'Coming Home' was hung in its place (as seen in picture).

3. The Synagogue was officially closed on 27 October 2008 and items carefully packed with most going to the Chief Rabbis Office in London. Picture shows packing process with the Prayer for the Royal Family removed.

4. The ocean liner items in the cabinets on Two Deck by the Computer Learning Centre were returned to the Ocean Liner Museum on 16 October. Framed copies of the Final Round Britain menus were hung (as shown in picture).

5. The print of QE2 and Britannia hung above the bell on Three Deck D Stairway was also returned on 16 October and a 'lovely' (!) new painting hung - as shown!

6. One thing that struck me she was actually going was when I saw that the Hotel Manager John Duffy had started to pack up his royal photos - the picture of his office shows bare walls.

7.The Royal Standards were removed from the Queens Room on 11 November.

8. 'Coming Home' was presented to the City of Southampton on 11 November so framed photos of the first Mauretania were hung in their place.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:58 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Chris Frame

Re: Changes Changes Changes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 10:11 AM »
A fantastic record Michael.

Although the majority of items went to Dubai, it was interesting to note that the items that you noted above were removed.

The pictures of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Princess Elizabeth with The Duke of Edinburgh (D Stairway), I recall, were Cunard's originally but presented to the City of Southampton (?) after the QE and Caronia were retired.

I recall reading that they were taken back by Cunard during the 1994 refit on "permanent loan"? Is that correct?

How did these two items manage to then get sold to Nakheel, if indeed they did?

Online skilly56

Re: Changes Changes Changes
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Hi Michael,

Just thinking, where would we be without digital cameras (I know I would be broke!).

Cheers

Skilly

Online cunardqueen

7.The Royal Standards were removed from the Queens Room on 11 November.
Would this have been what was in this frame here?

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

Thanks for posting this information Michael.  It is good to know what happened to these treasures that were so much part of the ship.  Do you know what happened to the black and white photos of taken at the time of the ship's launch in Clydebank?  I know they were on one of the stairwells but I do not know which one. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Twynkle

Thanks for posting this information Michael.  It is good to know what happened to these treasures that were so much part of the ship.  Do you know what happened to the black and white photos of taken at the time of the ship's launch in Clydebank?  I know they were on one of the stairwells but I do not know which one. 

This one, Lynda?
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1977.0.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Stowaway2k

3. The Synagogue was officially closed on 27 October 2008 and items carefully packed with most going to the Chief Rabbis Office in London. Picture shows packing process with the Prayer for the Royal Family removed.

I'm glad to know that eventually it was all "carefully packed", as for a few days much of it just remained in a jumble on the floor

Online Lynda Bradford

Thanks for the link Rosie.   I have a copy of four of the official John Brown's black and white photos which had been taken at the time of her launch.  These photos adorn my stairway wall and when I saw the same copies on the G stairway on QE2 I was delighted.  I just wondered what had happened to these photos when QE2 was decommissioned.  Maybe Cunard took them for their archives!  I will try to scan and post the photos.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Cunarder Man

Mauretania painting
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Here is an article about the handover of the Mauretania painting to the Tyne and Wear Museums in 2008 :

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/painting-of-historic-mauretania-returns-4495290
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:29 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

With apologies to Cunarder Man, I have added a little introduction to the excellent newspaper link he posted above, so that we know what this link was about, even if the article itself disappears one day (which experience has taught us, could very well happen).

Here is an article about the handover of the Mauretania painting to the Tyne and Wear Museums in 2008 :

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/painting-of-historic-mauretania-returns-4495290

Online cunardqueen

I'm glad to know that eventually it was all "carefully packed", as for a few days much of it just remained in a jumble on the floor   

In the Queens Room on November 11th 2008.... lm guessing these were "carefully removed "
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
11 November saw The Royal Standards removed from The Queen's Room (see first post in this topic).
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !