Author Topic: QE2's Crew Mess  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Michael Gallagher

QE2's Crew Mess
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Foward on One Deck
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 04:17 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Chris

Re: The Crew Mess
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 10:13 AM »
More pics, taken in March 08.

Note the "Tug of War" honours board which was located near the entrance to the mess.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:18 AM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Fantastic photos once again  ;D. I can remember that before the 1986/87 refit, there was a seperate P.O.'s Mess but this area was taken over when the crew mess was extended forward on the port side. A no smoking rule also came into effect at the same time.

Can anyone remember the toasters in there where you needed to put the bread in twice to make it toast ;D?

Also, on the subject of the crew mess. One of the night chefs during the mid 1980s was a relative of none other than one of the Great Train Robbers. He always managed to get ashore in Rio  ;D
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:27 PM »
The crew mess what times was it open? it doesnt look that big for the amount of crew onboard? when did the crew have their meals, before (during!!)  or after the passengers had their meals
 From a crew point of view just how good was this food?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Myles read here post n°48

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,404.0.html

As for the size it was enough, as crew work on different shifts so not every one eats at the same time.I for example would have breakfast just before closing time or at opening times depending on the night i had   ;).After that the only think you could eat would be cornflakes.I then would head for lunch at opening time, then another fill up between 13-14 hours.Dinner would be the same at opening times later in the evening i used to get my treat from the passenger restaurants.It was forbidden for crew to eat passengers food but you can always get around that.

As for rating the crew food all i can say it could have been better.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:34 PM by Blue Bombay »

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:59 PM »
As for rating the crew food all i can say it could have been better.

Hehehe... some things never change then eh Louis  ;)
I used to buy Marmite and crunchy peanut butter (it had to be Sun Pat) ashore and use it in my toast. The one thing I never ever ate in the mess was Christmas Dinner. I'd usually end up having too much to drink to be able to eat it  :-[ My first Christmas onboard was whilst cruising somewhere around the caribbean and I had a great time downing the best part of a bottle of scotch whisky.... NEVER again have I ever had such a bad hangover. For years afterwards, I couldn't even stand the smell of it. Ho hum...

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Was/are there any physical connections with the Q-Deck galley (dumb-waiters, refrigerators, etc.) or did this operate independently?

The Crew Mess Galley runs by its own as for the 2 question ill PM you.

Louis

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Here's another plan of the Crew Mess

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:29 PM »
All those times I passed up through A Stairway and lifts unaware of what was just on the other side of the bulkhead on 1 and Q Decks.  Amazing.

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Ah, the bane of my life on board - well nearly...  The nurses' cabins were on the port side next to the crew mess and right opposite an emergency exit door from the mess.  I lost count of the number of crew who 'illegally' used our corridor and these exits as short cuts.  Not only did the chatter penetrate the bulkhead to the cabins, the door would then slam shut, ensuring that the night nurse was constantly disturbed during mealtimes.  There was a big notice on the doors from the Staff Captain saying that they were not to be used, but that didn't stop anyone.  A few times I got so annoyed and desperate that I would lie in wait for any perpetrators, with the threat that I would report them.  I never did though, and they probably never knew what a big deal it was for us...
2000-2007

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2011, 11:13 AM »
Ah, the bane of my life on board - well nearly...  The nurses' cabins were on the port side next to the crew mess and right opposite an emergency exit door from the mess.  I lost count of the number of crew who 'illegally' used our corridor and these exits as short cuts.  Not only did the chatter penetrate the bulkhead to the cabins, the door would then slam shut, ensuring that the night nurse was constantly disturbed during mealtimes.  There was a big notice on the doors from the Staff Captain saying that they were not to be used, but that didn't stop anyone.  A few times I got so annoyed and desperate that I would lie in wait for any perpetrators, with the threat that I would report them.  I never did though, and they probably never knew what a big deal it was for us...

:) Yes i remember that short cut, i used it too sometimes

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2011, 10:07 AM »
During stormy days and when the bow area was out of bounds Raft Stations 1 and 2 would muster in the Crew Mess.

Crew Bingo was also held here.

Louis

Offline Steve Easter

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2020, 12:36 PM »
Fantastic photos once again  ;D. I can remember that before the 1986/87 refit, there was a seperate P.O.'s Mess but this area was taken over when the crew mess was extended forward on the port side. A no smoking rule also came into effect at the same time.

Can anyone remember the toasters in there where you needed to put the bread in twice to make it toast ;D?

Also, on the subject of the crew mess. One of the night chefs during the mid 1980s was a relative of none other than one of the Great Train Robbers. He always managed to get ashore in Rio  ;D

Mark Biggs was Ronnie's nephew - he is still a FB buddy of mine - now works for an Investment Bank in Australia and has a Japanese wife

Offline Rod

Re: QE2's Crew Mess
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Don't recall the carpet in there. It was all lino when I was on board.
There was one of the cooks in there that did the most amazing beef stew!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
Re: QE2's Crew Mess
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 11:24 AM »
... one of the cooks in there that did the most amazing beef stew!
I'd forgotten that Rod. When I was Crew Accommodation Officer, my office was 'twixt the PO's and Crew messes. When I knew scouse would be on the menu I would eat at my desk, rather than head up to the Wardy. But, I remember one day the cook put garden peas in the scouse ... there was almost a mutiny: not authentic was the cry!

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1468
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2721
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody