Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Once in a lifetime  (Read 3782 times)

Offline singlemalt

Once in a lifetime
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Those once in a lifetime WOW moments that stay with you forever?
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline singlemalt

Re: Once in a lifetime
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:01 PM »
Speeding across the glorious expanse of open seas, a crowded Funnel Bar in complete darkness and marvelling at a lunar eclipse  :)
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Once in a lifetime!

For me, one of the greatest moments was sailing towards Barbados on Cunard Countess in 1995 and being invited to the bridge at 0300 hours to view QE2 come over the horizon and then, have the golden opportunity to speak on the ship's radio to the first officer on QE2. Astonishingly, he stayed on 25 miles from where I live in Scotland! He illuminated the funnel and mast and both ships were brought as close as would safety allow. She majestically sailed past in all her glory. A moment in life to treasure!

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:26 PM »
For me it has to be stepping aboard for the first time and after 34 years, finally realising the dream.
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Every experience seemed once in a lifetime to me, as it will NEVER be repeated. There was a certain aumbience in the Yacht Club that I dont think can be matched on land !! :'(
Im free...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Not sure what thread this  link really belongs in - Entertainment?

"In the Wings
New York Times - United States
... Jane Alexander and Lynn Cohen will star in the play as residents of a nursing home who are plotting to escape for a last hurrah aboard the QE2. ...
See all stories on this topic - via Google!"
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 03:37 AM »
Those once in a lifetime WOW moments that stay with you forever?

Each and every time I boarded, stepping into the Midships Lobby.  WOW.  But that's more than once...

Maybe the time we were dead in the water after blowing a fuse or something,  on New Years, in the Bermuda Triangle... and the group of elderly ladies who came up on deck in their lifejackets...

Maybe the first time I saw my MI single cabin... I didn't know if I should laugh or cry...

The first time I saw, at breakfast in the Mauretania, who would become my best friend...

The time some drunks nearly got me into a fight, in the Chart Room one night...

My first arrival at New York

My first departure from New York

So many awesome memories that will last a lifetime.  So much emotion, so often saying WOW to myself, or even out loud, so many times feeling lucky and priveledged to be on board the world's greatest ship.
So much happiness.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2009, 08:39 AM »
1-To be on the bridge with a force 10 in the north atlantic.
2-I stayed on board during the 1990 refit in Hamburg(with about another 20 crew), to walk the ship at night with no one around its amazing.All that building site,mess all around some parts of the ship in the dark its quite scary.
3-in the same refit to walk under the QE2 in dry dock-ill look for the foto.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:19 AM »
When I was young (mid 20s) I was very keen on magic. In 1995, at the end of her world cruise, Paul Daniels was one of the entertainers onboard (This was in the days when PD was a very well known name). Not only did we get to see him live but I was invited onto the stage with him.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2009, 11:20 AM »
- Seeing the ship for the first time.
- Seeing the ship's bell for the first time - also because I read a little too much into nautical superstitions and believe that the spirit of a ship resides in the ship's bell.
- Standing on the aft decks, as the ship left Southampton, and calling my father on the phone and saying "DADDY!! I AM ON THE QE2!!". And the hugging my mother and thanking her for taking me on the voyage.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2009, 12:38 PM »
What about the excitement when your first ever tickets for the QE2 arrived?

Offline Avariel

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2009, 02:20 PM »
What about the excitement when your first ever tickets for the QE2 arrived?

I think my reaction when I finally got the tickets counts as excitement. Considering I was jumping up and down in the living room of the student share-house in Australia. (I was studying in Australia at that time and did the booking of the cruise from there.)

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Seeing the "Author On Board" sign under my book in the QE2 Library - since I was 11 I had wanted "my" QE2 book in those windows.

I was worried that we'd left it too late when the retirement announcement came - but thanks to my "11th hour" lecture cruise; I was able to see this with my own eyes.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2009, 02:57 PM by Chris »
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2009, 04:59 PM »

Hi Chris

That's a great photo too - it must have felt good.
Wish I'd been there to buy the best - aboard the best,  from the best!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2009, 03:16 AM »
Aw Rosie, now I'm blushing... I've bought a lot of fantastic maritime books aboard QE2 over the years, each proudly holds its "Bought On Board QE2" sticker inside :)

Other "once in a lifetime" moment include:

- Being on QE2's bridge as we sailed into Sydney Harbour in 2003,
- Standing on QE2's bow looking back at the Bridge,
- Visiting QE2's engine room while sailing at high speed through the Indian Ocean,
- Walking onto the stage in the Theatre to give my first lecture aboard QE2 - a dream realised,
- Being upgraded from Cabin 3009 to Cabin 1022 back in 1995,

There's a lot more special once in a lifetime moments - but I really should get back to work!
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2009, 04:33 AM »
Hearing the voice of QE2 for the first time back in 2000.  I was standing below the bridge as we began to back out of the berth, aided by tugs in Ft. Lauderdale, filming with my Sony Hi8 camcorder when the whistle blew for the first time.  Startled, the camera jiggled.  After we were spun around and heading out through the breakwater, the whistle was blown for several more times, setting off car alarms in the condos lining the channel.  Air horns were blazing and many people were on balconies waving.  It felt like the golden age of ocean liner travel and we were embarking on a special voyage.  I was told later by a relative who had a condo in the area, that EVERY arrival and sailaway of QE2 was special and no other ship got that treatment.

The January 2008 Tandem crossing with Queen Victoria, my first and only crossing on QE2: priceless.

This past October, my son accompanied me on the Farewell to the UK cruise.  The look on his face as we entered the Midships Lobby was priceless.  After the safety drill, we made our way up to the observation area under the bridge and camped out on the centerline, behind the Captain Warwick medallion.  As the mooring lines were released and we eased off the pier, the captain sounded the whistle and my son was startled and covered his ears at first.  He's heard the sound before on my computer, but commented that he could feel it in his chest and it was an incredible sound, not like the wimpy whistle of the P & O ship that had just gone by.  We were to hear QE2's voice many many times over during this cruise with great pleasure.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:14 AM »
I've bought a lot of fantastic maritime books aboard QE2 over the years, each proudly holds its "Bought On Board QE2" sticker inside :)
As indeed does a certain book that I purchased recently...
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2009, 02:02 PM »

Hi Everyone - and Good Morning Chris, by the way!

May we have more Please ! And thank you for sharing your once in a lifetime posts -
These are the stuff of great memories - and it's lovely to read all about them.
Thank you!
If we can't look forward, as we did before, it makes it really special to look back.  (am I making sense here??!)

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2009, 06:32 AM »
First time I saw her, towering over the sheds of Princes Wharf in 1988. I nearly drove my car into a tree. She had a HUGE welcome and farewell in Auckland that year and for several years after. AND in 1989, I was aboard when she departed Auckland, I was in seventh heaven - arriving and departing Sydney (which is a huge harbour)
 I would love to see a pix of her taken from North or South head in Sydney as she entered or left the harbour there. I have pix taken from Mount Victoria, Auckland (You look down at the ship) and recently saw QMary die Grosse leave Auckland from the vantage point of North Head, also look down at the ship, but could not take photos as she left at 10pm

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:11 PM »
I always thought at the end of my  first crossing, that it would be the last one, hence why l lived life to the full on each trip, then l realised that it was getting to be a serious holiday and that QE2 could be seen as my regular holiday, But to be honest, each cruise was a once in a life time experience, if that makes sense, But a few experiences if l may share with you..
 The first steps onboard the majestic QE2, was a dream come true.
 Seeing New York, from the decks was, and still is the most amazing mindblowing sight, and nothing can prepare you for that first time, stepping down the gangway to my first foreign port New York, it doesnt get any better.
 My first bridge visit, mid atlantic in 86 as we belted along at 28 knots and l took the helm if only for a few minutes, the view outside looking down the side of the hull, quite breath taking, but its the speed that gets you..
 The moment l was invited to dine at the Captains table, was and always will be a very treasured and special experience.

And for all the wrong reasons walking down the gangway on the 11th at the end of a very special and personal day onboard, saying goodbye to something that had been a big part of your life, something l had become very,very fond of. That to me was a once in a life time experience, which l wouldn't  wish on my worst enemy, it was quite awful. But clearly l can only admit this on here, among friends, otherwise people would think me quite ,quite mad..

And how on earth did l miss this topic?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:29 PM »
The first time i walked up the gangway in 1990, that first smell, first feeling i felt home straight away.