Author Topic: QE2's Ship's Cat on the bridge  (Read 6433 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

QE2's Ship's Cat on the bridge
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Every good ship... has a cat on board. Here was QE2's asleep at the Bridge windows.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2016, 10:29 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Jem

Re: Every good ship...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:34 AM »
Thought I'd seen that cat before here in the Amarillo Charity Video :)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:59 AM »
And I thought that was just a stuffed animal in the Amarillo video!  :o
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:55 AM »

And I thought that was just a stuffed animal before eagle-eyed Jem found the video  ;)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:19 AM »
And I thought that was just a stuffed animal before eagle-eyed Jem found the video  ;)

I just love cats and it would just make my day to think there may have been a cat on QE2 but it does look like a stuffed cat in the photo. 

Twinkle what was the video you had referred to?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Jem

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:42 AM »
I think he's related to 'Bagpuss' which is why he appears stuffed ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I just love cats and it would just make my day to think there may have been a cat on QE2 but it does look like a stuffed cat in the photo. 

The Amarillo video, Lynda! 
See post #1above by Jem and in post # 2 mentioned by Highlander

Here's the link - and spot the sozzled looking moggy 'No-name' in true QE2 colours - Black, white and with a bit of less obvious red ;)
Post #31
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,59.0.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:47 PM »

There was a lovely nautical shop on Caronia, which sold several (beautiful and rather expensive) versions of this cat.

I still regret the fact that I let the price put me off... Thought I could buy it another time... and then, the other time never came!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:57 PM »
I wonder if thats the same shop that is in Covent Garden in London. Not  a cheap shop l must admit, and they do mail order,perhaps the other time is now here....

http://www.nauticalia.com/   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 07:24 PM »

Lynda
Here's 'Amarillo' - it's just about the best video ever made on QE2

Special thanks to all who made it happen, just over 4 years ago.

The cat makes at lease a couple of appearances,
it's the same as Seaman Simon here
http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/gifts-for-her/ship%27s_cat_-_simon/4692.html
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2014, 09:38 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:39 PM »
I wonder if thats the same shop that is in Covent Garden in London. Not  a cheap shop l must admit, and they do mail order,perhaps the other time is now here....

http://www.nauticalia.com/   

Oh dear, Myles -- that's the very one. I fear you are right... all the more so since Christmas is coming  ;)  .

Thank you for the web site!

Offline Rod

« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2011, 12:12 PM »
When I first joined QE2 in 1971, one of the Hotel Officers had a monkey! Apparently the ship had called at an exotic port and sever people had bought these animals.
Nobody realized how destructive they could be though. Said Hotel Officer returned to his cabin one day after work and did not have one uniform intact!

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:27 AM »
 ;D Loved the video, no wonder QE2 was a happy ship. Especially liked the engineer dancing on top of the engine!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:12 AM »
When I first joined QE2 in 1971, one of the Hotel Officers had a monkey! Apparently the ship had called at an exotic port and sever people had bought these animals.
Nobody realized how destructive they could be though. Said Hotel Officer returned to his cabin one day after work and did not have one uniform intact!

Sometimes he got lose...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Good Heavens :o
Hey You - Mitts off - It's mine!

This creature eating the banana I forgot to eat...
What's more, it must have given the much revered Queen Victoria hiccups
Just look at what's her funnel's having to struggle with....
Something off limits and it's gone PINK!

Kyle - are you ok? Hope so.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Wa, what was Q Vicky ingesting? Some sort of pink shippy dope? No wonder she could never keep up with the QE2.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Wa, what was Q Vicky ingesting? Some sort of pink shippy dope? No wonder she could never keep up with the QE2.
" LIKE"!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2014, 02:22 PM »
'Every Good Ship' - As well as a Cat, Bell and Whistle - what else did you discover on (or about?) QE2 that made her simply 'The Best'?
The Captains Day Quarters perhaps - and the Bit Beneath the Bridge has yet to be surpassed...
and there can't be that many big ships afloat today, where you can run from the Bit forward, to the Railings at the stern to catch every second of Action when docking, especially in less than a minute!

Any thoughts, anyone?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2's Ship's Cat on the bridge
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2016, 08:10 PM »
When I was in Dubai, I met the ship's cat.  He/She had been on board for a long time, but I don't know how long, or what the story is.

Does anyone know?

I do know the ship's cat is no longer on her bridge, and I do know where it is!  And no, I did not take it.

Photo attached - I'd love to know more.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

Re: QE2's Ship's Cat on the bridge
« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2016, 08:30 PM »
Rob - QE2's cat is an Eternal Cat!
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1998.msg22077.html#msg22077
Nauticalia do a distant cousin in marmalade

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 692
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 817
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody