Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Technical Stores  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Michael Gallagher

Technical Stores
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Otherwise known as 'B&Q on QE2' (see sign)!

Offline highlander0108

Re: Technical Stores
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58 AM »
Michael, do you know how much of these stores still is onboard?  I recall reading somewhere that old spare parts were being donated to other historic ships in the UK.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Those photos... what memories! My best mate Ben used to work in there. Another guy, Paul H  who worked in there used to work in the stores of a large car dealership where I did my motor vehicle apprenticeship in the mid-late 1970s.
The chief storeman used to be a chap called Graham W. The top photo looks like the entrance to the steps to 7-deck where the stores hatch is.
Great to see this again  :)
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:51 AM »
Happy Days, Rich!

There seems to be so much equipment etc in Technical Stores
 - Doing the inventories must have taken ages. A never-ending task, perhaps!
Whereabout did it get unloaded and prepared for stowage - and vice versa
Was it just in that small open area?
 Was the hatch at ground level - s'pose some of it must have needed to be dropped in by crane -
then how did it get transported to the appropriate place?
It looks as if there's the handle of what might be a small motorised trolley - wouldn't big things fall off...?!
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Happy Days, Rich!

There seems to be so much equipment etc in Technical Stores
 - Doing the inventories must have taken ages. A never-ending task, perhaps!
Whereabout did it get unloaded and prepared for stowage - and vice versa
Was it just in that small open area?
 Was the hatch at ground level - s'pose some of it must have needed to be dropped in by crane -
then how did it get transported to the appropriate place?
It looks as if there's the handle of what might be a small motorised trolley - wouldn't big things fall off...?!
Rosie

Rosie, yes there was an awful lot of equipment and spares onboard. In fact, some of the items were stored on 7-deck where the cars were kept. Other larger items (pumps and motors) were kept along 6-deck working alleyway. There were also some large plastic drums of chemicals kept on the working alleyway in metal cages.
I think most of the spares/equipment arrived via the car lift from either 4-deck or 5-deck. Some of it was manhandled, the heavier stuff usually on pallets and fork-lifted or pallet-trucked in via the car lift.
Transporting stuff from the stores, most of the time it was manhandled from 7-deck to 6-deck and if it was heavy or if there were lots of items, were placed on a hand cart/trolley. The photo showing the sign B&Q@QE2 is on a hatch cover on 6-deck with stairs below to 7-deck level where there was a door and a 'serving hatch' to the stores.
We used to 'turn-to' (muster for work) on nights and first thing was to nip to the stores and sit on the stairs and have a cuppa.
Blimey... I can still hear the clang-clang-clang of steel toe capped boots coming down those stairs.

We had a great time down there on one New Year's Eve once too... but that's another story  ;)
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:43 PM »
Were these in the same space through all of her service life?

Did she carry relatively more stores than other ships, due to her age and complexity?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Rod

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2011, 04:35 PM »
The tech stores were originally located by the plumbers shop, electrical shop and the incinerator...didn't know about that did you?
Close to the engineering ratings accom.
The original stores were about 4-600 square feet with things spread out all over the place. Toilets on 3 deck forward motors in the steering gear on 7 deck aft.
During the "midlife" refit they were moved to one of the carlolds on 7 deck aft.
Yes I remember Graham Ware and Paul....cant remember Pauls last name though.

Offline BlueSparky

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:24 AM »
Not relating to QE2 stores, but my “technical” interview for my job in the radio room consisted of a day in the bowels of the Cunard building in Liverpool, dismantling a Decca Radar for its scan coils that were urgently required for one of the other Cunarders in The Caribbean. Any other salvageable parts were labelled and catalogued and put on the dusty shelf in the room should they ever be needed.

It was dirty, dim and very warm work, but what a reward when I was told that I had passed my “test” and I was to join the shop on October 6th 1988 in Southampton.  I was 10 feet tall that day!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2020, 08:19 PM »
It was dirty, dim and very warm work, but what a reward when I was told that I had passed my “test” and I was to join the shop on October 6th 1988 in Southampton.  I was 10 feet tall that day!   

And away we sailed , narrowly missing the IOW
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Thanks Myles for the brilliant link to BlueSparky's story of his interview then joining the ship on 6 October 1988 and the Southern Evening Echo report on 7 October 1988 of the ship almost going aground near the IOW.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com