Author Topic: QE2's Butchers Shop  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Michael Gallagher

QE2's Butchers Shop
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:50 PM »
 ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 04:17 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

Re: The Butchers Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Thank you for showing us this 'corner'!
It looks cold and interesting....
Was it very noisy?

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:35 PM »
No it was not. When I was there meat was bought on board in quarter animals and butchered. Later they started buying meat that was to a fairly large extent precut.
But they did all the stew meat, ground beef etc etc. Filleting the whole dover soles etc. But it was cool. But scrupuosly clean!

rmeneses

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2012, 04:12 AM »
That is so cool to see, I can imagine the meat being cut up there...too bad about all the pre-cut pieces, but I suppose it's more economical, most of the grocers here don't even do much cutting.  I remember seeing a photo of the butcher shop on one of the original Queens and those were whole carcasses, I can only imagine trying to butcher a side of beef while the ship was in pitching and rolling.  Thank you Flagship for posting, and thanks Rod for your description.

Pat Curry

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Walter Geisler was the butcher on my first cruise (1997). He was married to Roma (in tours.) We met up every year on the various cruises I did until the last time I saw them was 2005. They left QE2 and are now running a hotel in Austria (Walter was Austrian).

Butcher's shop is f'rd port side (3 decks below Louis' cabin 404) accessed off B staircase (and goods lifts 8 & 9).  It has a freezer room, a refrigerated room where meat was thawed for two days from frozen and a prep room, the latter pictured above.

Walter had a couple of Filipino assistants.  I recall very large carcasses hanging in the freezer. There may have been 'small cuts' as well but butchery was full time and hard work.

I don't recall the butchers doing fish.  Isn't the fish freezer room and prep room is stbd side, same area?

The normal procedure was for the meat to be ordered four days before it was served to pax (by exec chef and by Lido chef de cuisine).  Day 1 , it was put into the thawing room. By Day 3 it was at 3 degrees C and all the next day's meat requirement was butchered into the cut required and kept refrigerated in large covered plastic 80Kg capacity tubs. On day 4 the chilled tubs were sent on wheeled trolleys via the respective goods lift (8 or 9) which came to Main Galley and from there to Production Galley (which supplied all grills/ restaurants/wardroom/ crew mess) for cooking or in the case of steak to each grill to cook on demand.  The Lido  cooked all its own food and the trolleys had to be pushed from 7 deck f'rd to Lido prep galley in 2 deck stern.  Although I did sometimes cook in the Lido, I never saw how this happened but  assume the trolleys went to 6 deck and were pushed to the stern area and up the appropriate goods lift (Goods lift 10?) to the lowest Lido Galley (which was on 2 deck).

Meat only came aboard at S'ton, the US and for WC, Australia, and always frozen. In Hong Kong, freezer containers sent from the US contained frozen meat.  No other source of meat was considered safe.

Also on World Cruises I was on, if the ship was at sea on a Sunday, there would be 'Austrian Breakfast' served in the Butcher's shop from c11am to 1215. Exec chefs Karl Winkler was Austrian as were a number of senior chefs and assistants and Walter. Officer's and selected crew attended as well as a very few invited pax.  It was a well kept secret and It was a remarkable privilege for those pax, being held on 7 deck and at the invitation of Exec Chef. Delicious Austrian hot food, salads and desserts were all made in private time by many of the cooking brigade. 

After Carnival took possession of the QE2, they firstly disallowed pax to 7 deck as being unsafe!  Many WC pax are annual regulars and this loss of that wonderful treat was not received well. Then a couple of years later Carnival banned  the use of 7 deck for this altogether, reason unknown, though I think hygiene was ludicrously quoted. A harmless activity gone; crew morale goes down a notch.  So Karl moved it to the boardroom.  Carnival got wind of that and banned it all together.  So it was RIP the Austrian Breakfast. Crew moral drops lower. If the crew were doing something they loved in their own time, Carnival seemed to go out of their way to stop it. (this was not the only example). Need I say more?

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2012, 08:24 PM by Queet-two »

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2012, 11:33 PM »
Don't forget I left  Christmas 88 when they still had British butchers.

rmeneses

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:19 AM »
Queet-two's comment about Carnival stopping moral boosting activities by the crew isn't exclusive to Carnival, I have worked for quite a few companies/management that after becoming aware of their employees or subordinates actually having fun while performing their jobs, they went out of their way to prohibit cause of said happiness and it's too bad. 

Perhaps the executives at Carnival should read "Guts!" by Kevin and Jackie Freiberg.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2012, 05:48 AM »
A bit off topic its was not just Carnival that stopped the "fun", the ship also had one or two of the Staff Captains didnt like that too.

rmeneses

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:17 AM »
A bit off topic its was not just Carnival that stopped the "fun", the ship also had one or two of the Staff Captains didnt like that too.

I did include management and not just executives in my comment =D

Offline Rod

Re: QE2's Butchers Shop
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Interesting story here. A "theft ring" was discovered on board, I would say in the middle 80's. The way it was discovered was that when a chartered "leave flight" from NY landed in London after being delayed, several of the suitcases on the baggage carousel were discovered to be bleeding! Needless to say, this was investigated and the luggage was found to contain many thousands of $ worth of meat. Had the flight not been delayed the meat would have stayed frozen. Her Majesty's Customs went through every suitcase on over 30 people were fired. One person was fired for having 6 mop heads.
After that all meat coming on board was stamped in blue letters "Cunard" that soaked all the way through the fat. If you got a nice thick steak you could read some of the letters.

Offline CAP

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2012, 03:10 PM »
One person was fired for having 6 mop heads.

In the context of this thread, presumably these were meant for non-grill diners ;D ;D ;D

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I guess they wiped the floor with him?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1468
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2721
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody