Author Topic: RMS Caronia - The Green Goddess  (Read 10497 times)

Offline Tyne Turbine

Re: RMS Caronia - The Green Goddess
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:58 PM »
Hi Jeff,

It was the Camania rather than the Carinthia which was painted green.

Robert.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:52 PM »
It was typical of Cunard tradition to paint their cruising liners in the shades of green--also note Mauretania II and Carinthia and Franconia as having the green colors although they were repainted white before disposition.  I seem to recall that the original Mauretania was painted white for cruising, but not sure.  Anyone else care to chip in?

Interesting to note that the colour was called "cruising green' and four shades of green were used. The colours were supposed to deflect the heat of the sun - I think this was Bill Miller's explanation.
The Caronia II was nicknamed the Green Goddess by Liverpudlians because she was the painted in the same shades of green as the trams of Liverpool, then also known as Green Goddesses.  I remember them well; the colours in the link below are as close as you'll get!
http://www.caronia2.info/index.php

PS - Someone mentioned t'other day that Caronia was also called the Piglet, QE2 being called the Pig!

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2010, 12:01 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Jem

« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2010, 03:42 AM »
Interesting to note that the colour was called "cruising green' and four shades of green were used. The colours were supposed to deflect the heat of the sun - I think this was Bill Miller's explanation.
The Caronia II was nicknamed the Green Goddess by Liverpudlians because she was the painted in the same shades of green as the trams of Liverpool, then also known as Green Goddesses.  I remember them well; the colours in the link below are as close as you'll get!
http://www.caronia2.info/index.php

PS - Someone mentioned t'other day that Caronia was also called the Piglet, QE2 being called the Pig!

In the 70's when we had the firemen strikes, weren't the army's appliances also known as Green Goddesses?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:33 AM »
In the 70's when we had the firemen strikes, weren't the army's appliances also known as Green Goddesses?
Yes, Jem!
These were so very ugly, weren't they?
The Caronia definitely outshone them, as well as the trams.

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2011, 02:20 AM »
Guam - 7th March 2011.

QM2 arrived in the US Naval docks early this morning.
We have yet to see the harbour where Caribia was washed up on the rocks (as RMS Caronia became)
Having seen the massive rocks along the coast, together with the huge waves of surf crashing along the tropical island's beaches, it's not difficult to imagine her in trouble.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Caronia
Heading off now to find some suitably green with red/orange flowers to hurl into the sea in memory this great ship.
(There seems not a lot else to do in these parts, other than to use free WiFi)

Then - by pure coincidence, Brian Hawley's email (below) has also just arrived ( :)!!)

'The Caronia book I co-wrote with Bill Miller (RMS Caronia: Cunard’s Green Goddess) is ready for release so I should be getting some copies shortly.  If you are interested in ordering a signed copy, please send an e-mail to luxurylinerrow@yahoo.com as I have a list of folks who want to get the book directly from me.  I’m now working on my next book, and it should be out later this year'.

Thank you Brian - and well done with the book about RMS Caronia, Brian - have you visited Guam too?

Rosie.
(calling at Guam with QM2)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy a model of Caronia? I've looked everywhere but theres nothing.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2012, 10:57 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:44 PM »
The first Chief Engineer of the Caronia was Douglas Horsburgh, a veteran of the White Star. He had a brother, Gordon. He was a White Star man too.He wasn't an Engineer, he was a Mate who rose to be Marine Super of Cunard White Star and died in harness just before the launch of the Mary. Their father, Stewart, again a White Star man, was an Engineer. In fact he was the Engineer. He was , is seems, the very first Engineer Super of the White Star Line from 1871 till 1904.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2013, 06:38 PM by riskygizmo »
Full Away on Passage.

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2015, 03:21 AM »
Was looking at the history of The Green Goddess and was wondering, Were there any known meetings of QE2 and Caronia II?
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Trevor Casey

« Reply #28 on: Mar 11, 2017, 04:29 AM »
I always wondered why Caronia was painted green. From (colored) pictures the Cunard red funnel clashes with that mint green. Was she painted green for crusing?
Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2017, 06:41 AM »
I can't answer why she was painted varying shades of green, nor who in Cunard made the decision. Wikipedia simply states it was a decision to differentiate her from the black and white livery of the Cunard White Star liners.

Apparently the Liverpudlians amongst the crew soon nicknamed her the 'Green Goddess' as she matched the livery of the then Liverpool trams, also termed 'Green Goddesses'. (As an aside, when I was in the British army in a previous life, we used to term our fire engines - painted bronze green in those days - as Green Goddesses. I guess scouse eventually infiltrates every institution).

Interestingly the original RMS Caronia (launched 1904) had the distinction of being the first ship to radio warnings of ice bergs to the Titanic. She was named Caronia after the grand-daughter of Cunard's New York Agent at that time - Caro Brown.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 06:57 AM by Boris »

Online Trevor Casey

« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2017, 12:50 PM »
I can't answer why she was painted varying shades of green, nor who in Cunard made the decision. Wikipedia simply states it was a decision to differentiate her from the black and white livery of the Cunard White Star liners.

Apparently the Liverpudlians amongst the crew soon nicknamed her the 'Green Goddess' as she matched the livery of the then Liverpool trams, also termed 'Green Goddesses'. (As an aside, when I was in the British army in a previous life, we used to term our fire engines - painted bronze green in those days - as Green Goddesses. I guess scouse eventually infiltrates every institution).

Interestingly the original RMS Caronia (launched 1904) had the distinction of being the first ship to radio warnings of ice bergs to the Titanic. She was named Caronia after the grand-daughter of Cunard's New York Agent at that time - Caro Brown.

Thanks Boris! I never understood why she was green. Guess they wanted her to be different.

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:03 PM »
After doing some research online regarding your question Trevor, Cunard had Caronia painted in "Cruising Green" in order to make her fit for tropical destinations and it made her look more attractive and recognizable.

The RMS Mauretania of 1938 was also painted in "Crusing Green" towards the end of her service life.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Trevor Casey

« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2017, 11:28 PM »
Thanks Brandon!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #33 on: Mar 21, 2017, 01:16 PM »
What goes around ... etc. Found a thread elsewhere in this forum that appears to discuss, back in 2011, Caronia's colour scheme. Better than my response, above.
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1937.msg29159.html#msg29159
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2017, 01:18 PM by Boris »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:50 PM »

Offline Rod

« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:37 PM »
Think I saw Ronnie Bateson in the recieving line!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Did you see this?

Wonderful film, thank you for sharing Rosie!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Saga Ruby (ex-Caronia and ex-Vistafjord)

Started by Stowaway2kBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 88
Views: 26553
Last post Oct 25, 2017, 06:42 PM
by Twynkle
August 2019 : Colour green

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (2020 Calendar)

Replies: 6
Views: 506
Last post Aug 18, 2019, 09:17 PM
by cunardqueen
Philip Green & Andy Green, QE2 photographers 1970's

Started by rgreenBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 13
Views: 4186
Last post Feb 06, 2021, 11:43 AM
by Glenn Copus
Re: Successors - One made it, One didn't, as for Caronia 4?

Started by Chris FrameBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 1160
Last post Feb 04, 2010, 12:01 AM
by Scott Ebersold
Poll August 2019 Competition : Colour Green

Started by June IngramBoard Archived Topics (2020 Calendar)

Replies: 19
Views: 968
Last post Oct 01, 2019, 03:07 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski