Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens  (Read 36981 times)

Offline Chris Frame

Re: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #100 on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:04 AM »
I think the greatest presence of QE2 on the Cruising Queens, and Indeed QM2 is the word "CUNARD" on their hull, as if it hadn't been for QE2, her ability to weather the storm and maintain her popularity during the 70's - 90's there would be no Cunard, and no QM2, QV or QE.

Chris :)

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #101 on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:11 AM »
The bust

http://yfrog.com/2f2ugj

Gutted.  Both me, and QE2.

Aaah.... so the Bust isn't in the Queens Room, it's in the corridor that separates the Queens Room from the Queens Arcade (the sitting area across from the Queens Room).

Is it's position there kind of on par with the magnificent Britannia (Boston) Cup being placed near a pillar at the aft exit of the Chart Room Bar on QM2?

Offline QE2 whistle

« Reply #102 on: Oct 16, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Looking at John's pictures of QE2's bust.  Here is a picture we took in 1983.  Look how different she looks.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #103 on: Oct 17, 2010, 10:24 PM »
I wonder if we have photos of the Queens Bust through the years?,I just assumed it had always been the same colour, mindyou to be honest because l saw it on every voyage at every captains party i never really studied it, But l do know l cant imagine seeing the Queens Room without this wonderful bust.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #104 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:03 AM »
Michael will be able to confirm when the bust was re-coloured.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010, 03:54 PM by Chris »

Tom

« Reply #105 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:01 AM »
Aaah.... so the Bust isn't in the Queens Room, it's in the corridor that separates the Queens Room from the Queens Arcade (the sitting area across from the Queens Room).

Is it's position there kind of on par with the magnificent Britannia (Boston) Cup being placed near a pillar at the aft exit of the Chart Room Bar on QM2?

That pretty much sums up the current state of Cunard; they may boast of their history in their brochures, but when it comes to taking pride in the actual remaining pieces of their legacy, they ultimately prove that they just don't care.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #106 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:37 PM »
The bust was painted gold during the re-engining in 1986 / 87.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #107 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Thanks Michael!!

Knew you'd know :)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #108 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:07 PM »
The bust was painted gold during the re-engining in 1986 / 87.

This is both curious and interesting!
Was it done in gold leaf?

Mr Nemon was Croatian and a Modernist, - I wonder too, whether he knew before he died (1985) of the intentions to paint it in gold?
Amongst other famous works, he made a series of sculptures of Winston Churchill - in particular, one in the House of Commons and a huge one situated not far from Chartwell in Kent.
He cast much of his work in bronze or stone.
Does anyone know more about any of Nemon's work being painted in gold?

I believe his letters have been archived at his studio at Pleasant Lands near Oxford  

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline QE2 whistle

« Reply #109 on: Oct 18, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Here she is in 1995 with a blue background.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #110 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Here she is in 1995 with a blue background.

Thank you for this, QE2 whistle!
It seems as if this was not only made for QE2,
maybe it was also designed for an alcove?
Wasn't the Standard hanging behind the bust in 2008?
It would be fascinating to see all the incarnations of it -
call me 'nuts', but the more memories the better!
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010, 09:35 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #111 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Hopefully it will be sort of alright to bring this thread in here too....?
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,863.0.html
Did anyone notice whether QE2's Great Bell has been re-enameled (black lettering) since it was moved?
And was there a plaque explaining it's history?

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010, 09:34 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #112 on: Oct 18, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Both QE2 Bell and Builder's Plate, now on QE, are as they were on QE2. Plaques in place highlighting the history.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #113 on: Oct 18, 2010, 11:34 PM »
Thank you for this, Cunarder Man

btw -Caught a glimpse of you on TV!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #114 on: Oct 19, 2010, 10:00 AM »
If this is the bell that used to be on deck 3 on QE2...what have they done to it? I didn't manage to actually see it when on board last week but when this bell  was on Qe2 it GLEAMED..or is this THE real bell from the bow of the ship outdoors?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #115 on: Oct 19, 2010, 02:42 PM »
  If this is the bell that used to be on deck 3 on QE2...what have they done to it? I didn't manage to actually see it when on board last week but when this bell  was on Qe2 it GLEAMED.   

While l never had time to see this bell in situ on Queen Elizabeth to see it on QE2 This bell  was always looking superb and highly polished. Now lm not sure which is worse, the fact that Dubai handed it over in this condition or the fact the Cunard had it displayed in this condition. But either way it would appear to be unpolished... :(

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #116 on: Oct 19, 2010, 04:15 PM »
It has been repolished since these pictures were taken, the name has been reblacked and the clacker is to be fixed to stopr people donging it. Most annoying it was to hear it donged every five minutes over the inaugural period.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #117 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:26 PM »
phewww...thank god for that......would it have been the intense humidity on board QE2 in Dubai that made it look so bad>??

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #118 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:36 PM »
It has been repolished since these pictures were taken, the name has been reblacked and the clacker is to be fixed to stopr people donging it. Most annoying it was to hear it donged every five minutes over the inaugural period.

Thanks 'Flagship', I'm pleased to hear it's had a wee polish and brush up! Shame the donger is now fixed - I had a good ring of the bell as we headed into Dubai during the last night at sea. I'm glad to say I heard no complaints, mind you, we made off quickly as it was 0230 hours!!!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #119 on: Oct 19, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Just been thinking about this one just now...........

As the bell etc and other artefacts were removed from QE2 in March,onto Queen Vic ..surely they could have given it a polish and brush up BEFORE they put it on the new ship.........could have been a good idea....to .keep the old QE2 crowd from moaning...

Glad I didn't see it.. on QE in this condition......would have been most upset!!

Incidentally where EXACTLY is it on QE?  Looks as though its shoved against a wall somewhere.....not a site of prominence ??

DING DONG!