Author Topic: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens  (Read 47635 times)

Offline andyh

Re: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #45 on: Sep 28, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing all her rooms, just 14 days to go now  ;D ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #46 on: Sep 28, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Please...is anyone else beginning to feel incredibly sad...it seems as if 'it's all happening' without QE2
Maybe people will recognise 'the most precious bits of QE2' on the new Queen Elizabeth
Hope they'll know where to find other memories and add theirs to them, here on the Forum.

Maybe it's seeing QE2 again, now without some of our memories - it just feels really strange....

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #47 on: Sep 28, 2010, 10:41 PM »
it will be bittersweet to see the QE2 items on the new cruiser, especially knowing that there is a hole where they used to be on QE2.  Hopefully, and I am remaining optimistic, the owners are making replicas of what was "borrowed" so that the interiors will remain intact.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #48 on: Sep 28, 2010, 10:47 PM »
I very, very strongly feel that the items should have been left on board QE2.  People are still deciding what to do with her. People are looking around her deciding her fate, and will be in the future.  Maybe people that have never been on board before.  Every single item removed from her, makes her interiors less interesting, and in my view gives her a slightly smaller chance of surviving her current ordeal at all, and much less chance of her interiors staying remotely intact too (because they'll look even more boring than they currently do, dusty & devoid of us!).

Don't get me wrong, if something horrible is to happen to QE2, I'll be cock-a-hoop if every single item from on board is rescued and placed somewhere where people can enjoy them, but to me they should still be part of her, and to take jewellery off the body while it is still warm is just too much.  Thats how it seems to me anyway!

When you see them, and enjoy them on QE, just think of the equivalent sad empty space that is on board QE2 in Port Rashid.

Long live the Queen.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2010, 10:49 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #49 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:06 PM »
How very true Rob....As much as we  may thin it 'nice' to have bits of QE2 on the new ship...........

To the new cruisers that Cunard want on board...these pieces are meaningless....

Who can imagine the QE2s Queens Room without that bust of the Queen?  and the midships lobby without that fabulous silver QE2....

As you say such a big sad hole on board our beloved QE2...Stripping jewellery from the body is a great comment Rob....I never thought of it like that.....

Just makes me feel more sad and uncertain of her future....

Maybe after all the hype of the new ship dies down...more thoughts will turn to QE2 again...some folks on the maiden have probably never been on a cruise....and will look at these artefacts that came from QE2...and they will just walk on by,.....means nowt to them.. saying they came off some old ship the Company had years ago...BORING!

Cunard SHOULD have taken off things prior to the final sailing to Dubai....they knew then a new Lizzie was on the way....it would have been a better way of doing things., as upset I was at the time knowing that all the artwork on board went to Dubai with her....

Would be interesting to know that if QE2 was underway to her new life at this moment in time would Dubai have been so  co operative to give back some of the things?? They would no doubt have been given either a new place on board...or worse still..... sold off?

I wonder if they did GIVE them back to Cunard or did Dubai SELL them to Cunard???
hmmmmmm..
..interesting thought???

Something we may never ever know......

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #50 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:14 PM »
You contradicted yourself there Ann - you want the things to be on board QE2 now, but you don't think Cunard should have let them have them in the first place?!

My view has always been that QE2's entire collection should remain on board.  The fact that the collection appears to have been included in the sale by mistake is a blessing.  QE2 as an empty shell would be a sad thing.  She built up her own history, and she continued Cunard's history all on her own, and she deserves to have it with her, if she has a future.  If she is to be scrapped some day, her collection deserves to be kept together and saved.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #51 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Rob I'm saying that if Cunard had wanted to take back some stuff they should have done it before she left........it would have looked better,,.. and she wouldn't be getting stripped now......thats what I mean....INSTEAD of not as well as....

In 2008 I was pretty upset that everything went to Dubai with her ,....but now in 2010 with this taking back of items....it was better she went intact and should stay that way,....

Is that  written better?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #52 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:25 PM »
OK I see what you mean now :)

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #53 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Thank Goodness,,,,think  its a tad late for me .not usually online at this hour!

Night night everyone.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2010, 12:00 AM »
Thinking on from what you say, Rob

It could be a bit difficult to hear anyone on board the new Queen Elizabeth say something along the lines of,
'Here we have the bust of Her Majesty The Queen from QE2 ....'
That statue was commissioned and made specifically for QE2; hopefully and if it's appropriate, this will then need to be acknowledged too.
'And then here we have....etc' At the moment this feels sad, very sad indeed......

There won't be any of the Heritage Trail on the new QE, will there?
Several times I have understood that it does remain in tact on QE2,
as well as the models of the other great pioneering Cunarders.

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2010, 08:05 AM by Twynkle »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #55 on: Sep 29, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Its an interesting point, regarding the items on loan or whatever it is being called, that are now onboard Queen Elizabeth.
Did Nakheel offer such items? or did Cunard perhaps suggest they could borrow them. Given Nakheels very tight lipped attitude can we see them asking Cunard, do you want to borrow anything and simply handing it over?

Now if I was in charge at Nakheel and they approached me l would be inclined to say ..Ok lets work something out and loosen the terms of the contract, and allow Nakheel to explore other options with QE2. However it does leave you wondering about the future. Have such prized items been loaned with the thinking that QE2 is ultimately being scrapped and that getting rid of the family silver now will make it easier to bear later on. Haven't Nakheel actually removed a lot of things for safe keeping from onboard anyway under the guise that the hot weather will affect things.

Imagine the poor buyers/owners that are supposedly looking over QE2 and seeing large chunks of display missing and being asked where they are, Oh we loaned them back to the previous owners.... egg on your face springs to mind.
Lets not forget Cunard when QE2 was sold telling everyone she had been sold intact as it wasnt fair to split her heritage up.. Now two years later they are doing exactly what they didnt want to happen.

Im surprised given how Nakheel operate  and tell nobody absolutely nothing that they have given up such prized objects....It would be interesting to know why!!. Otherwise it may leave a nasty whiff in the air.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #56 on: Sep 29, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Its an interesting point, regarding the items on loan or whatever it is being called, that are now onboard Queen Elizabeth.
Did Nakheel offer such items? or did Cunard perhaps suggest they could borrow them......

As far as QE2 is concerned, the ownership of important artifacts (hate the word!) is interesting.

Maybe Cunard did not sell some of the things that may / may not be 'on display' on Queen Elizabeth - ?
Thinking here particularly of say QE2's great Bell, the Silver model of QE2, the Royal portraits on
E Staircase, The Royal Standard and the statue of HM The Queen, as well as some of the models of the early Cunarders - particularly the Britannia
Hopefully, as with the lovely model of QE2 in Queen Victoria, for anything placed in the new Queen Elizabeth - there will be a discreet plaque explaining its provenance etc

Offline QueensFan

« Reply #57 on: Sep 30, 2010, 01:25 AM »
A bit more of the run-down on what's on QE(II) from QE(I) and QE2 -- from the source.

Link removed as it was not active

I see those three characters a lot in here... ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2018, 10:08 AM by Lynda Bradford »
--- Greg

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #58 on: Sep 30, 2010, 01:52 AM »
A bit more of the run-down on what's on QE(II) from QE(I) and QE2 -- from the source.

http://www.cunard.com/About-Cunard-Line/News-Room/Press-Information/Queen-Elizabeth/?art=6453

I see those three characters a lot in here... ;)

Great find Greg!  Now wouldn't things be so much easier if the new cruise ship was just called QE3?   ;) ;D  Google searches are sadly now going to skip over the original Queen!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #59 on: Sep 30, 2010, 03:56 AM »
That was a very interesting find! Thanks.

Three Queens bottle

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 2
Views: 710
Last post Mar 27, 2023, 02:09 AM
by cunardqueen
Book Review : P&O Oriana & Aurora - TAKING UK CRUISING INTO A NEW MILLENIUM

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Ships

Replies: 0
Views: 2138
Last post Mar 09, 2013, 06:15 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Website dedicated to the Cunard Queens (cunardqueens.com)

Started by Ocean Liner FanaticBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 2830
Last post Nov 17, 2009, 11:24 AM
by LegendOfTheSeas
QE2 Presence on Hotel Queen Mary

Started by Brandon SterkelBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 8
Views: 3139
Last post May 20, 2015, 11:21 PM
by Hank Hargrove
The Queens visit to her namesake in 1969

Started by jdlBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 1
Views: 1342
Last post Nov 24, 2014, 04:51 PM
by June Ingram