Author Topic: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens  (Read 47631 times)

Offline highlander0108

Re: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Hi Richard
S'pose asking for real wood panelling might be a dream too far.....

If there is a will, there is a way.....It is possible to achieve the flame/smoke ratings on extremely thin veneers over fire resistant backings.  This company (link below) bonds thin veneers to various substrates such as aluminum, PVC, fiberglass, or even fire treated plywood.  This company does this work for the building trades which have similar stringent codes for life safety. 

Judging from the finishes I saw on QM2 recently, they could very well be employing this technology to achieve the look of full thickness wood joinery and paneling.  We are using this company to achieve a fire/smoke rating for tons of wood panelling in rated stair enclosures where it is typically limited to only 10% of the wall area of the room.
http://www.contactind.com/Top/HOME/tabid/96/Default.aspx
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Magic Pipe

« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2010, 12:51 AM »
If there is a will, there is a way.....It is possible to achieve the flame/smoke ratings on extremely thin veneers over fire resistant backings.  This company (link below) bonds thin veneers to various substrates such as aluminum, PVC, fiberglass, or even fire treated plywood.  This company does this work for the building trades which have similar stringent codes for life safety. 

Judging from the finishes I saw on QM2 recently, they could very well be employing this technology to achieve the look of full thickness wood joinery and paneling.  We are using this company to achieve a fire/smoke rating for tons of wood panelling in rated stair enclosures where it is typically limited to only 10% of the wall area of the room.
http://www.contactind.com/Top/HOME/tabid/96/Default.aspx

Right.  Alot of the wood seen on newer ships actually is wood (in public spaces at least).  Maritime fire regulations allow combustible finishes as long as it does not exceed a set amount of potential energy per unit of area, and provided it is bonded to a non-combustible backing.

Actually, wood grain pattern plastic laminate as an alternative to wood does not offer an improvement with respect to combustibility, as plastic also burns.  And unlike wood, plastic can give off heavy, toxic smoke as it burns.

But on that note, why are we asking for real wood as a tribute to QE2?  She was not exactly an old-school ship decked out with wood and brass ship.  If anything, giving the Yacht Club 1960's modern decor would be more fitting, would it not?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2010, 01:38 AM »
Have they released any rendering of QE's Yacht Club?

Yes, I grabbed this image early on from the Cunard website, but now I can only find a partially clipped version of it here:
http://wearecunard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/yacht-club.jpg

Now that showcase appears to have a non-descript ship's model featured.  Perhaps this was just a stock image the rendering artist used or perhaps it was just a placeholder for something more important...hmmmm.  Surely, whatever goes in that case should be instantly recognizable and significant in Cunard history.  Does anyone know what that ship is?  It doesn't even have a Cunard funnel.  :o  
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 01:40 AM by highlander0108 »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2010, 01:59 AM »
From another angle, courtesy of Rob, same spot, but called Hemispheres on Queen Victoria.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/4843091047/in/photostream/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Thank you for the picture, Ken! Makes it much easier to imagine the future Yacht Club... provided not too much has changed since this artist's impression was drawn.

I wonder about the flags in the background -- are they just pretty decorations, or do they have a deeper significance?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Sounds great!  I'm looking forward to seeing this space especially.
Without giving anything away - you will be delighted with what you will find in the Yacht Club. Well, I hope you will. And the flags will make a statement that will underline QE2's importance. Not long to wait for now! ;)

Wild Guesses!
The flags - the reading on the 'speedo' as she 'finished with engines' (repeated!)?

The model does have a white funnel....
(Just can't wait..... :)

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2010, 12:22 PM »

I wonder about the flags in the background -- are they just pretty decorations, or do they have a deeper significance?

A VERY special significance Isabelle.....YOU will love it!
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 12:31 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2010, 01:57 PM »
The flags shown are considered pennants.  Flags are more sqaure and pennants have the shape shown.  The sequence is repeating and what significance it has, I have no clue. 

Starting from the left of the photo and continuing right the pennants are:

8, 2, 7, 1 9, 5, 8, 2, 7, 1, 9, 5 and so on. 

I believe the seven and nine pennants in the picture are upside down.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #23 on: Sep 07, 2010, 02:35 PM »
The flags shown are considered pennants.  Flags are more sqaure and pennants have the shape shown.  The sequence is repeating and what significance it has, I have no clue. 

Starting from the left of the photo and continuing right the pennants are:

8, 2, 7, 1 9, 5, 8, 2, 7, 1, 9, 5 and so on. 

I believe the seven and nine pennants in the picture are upside down.

And Bob - the nine looks as if one 'quarter' is green instead of black

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #24 on: Sep 07, 2010, 02:37 PM »
The flags shown in the rendering bear no relation to reality - just like the model shown in the rendering!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:19 AM »
And I also meant to say - look out for something very special in the Queens Room and something on Staircase B (or is it Staircase C?)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2010, 11:56 AM »
And I also meant to say - look out for something very special in the Queens Room 
Oh my God those high backed blue seats   Well done !!!!!! ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #27 on: Sep 08, 2010, 12:43 PM »
now....if from the outside she resembles QE2....Id be a REAL happy bunny,,,,, over the moon and all of that.........

but it IS the 21st Century,...not 1967......

Ill crawl back to my dinosaur pad now.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #28 on: Sep 08, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I have to say I like the look of the interiors of the QV and the QE a lot more than I like the look of their exteriors.

Michael - have sent you a PM on the subject.  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #29 on: Sep 08, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Oh my God those high backed blue seats   Well done !!!!!! ;)

Wondering now whether it will not only be those lovely royal blue chairs with gold piping
but also Oscar Nemon's bust of HM The Queen?
Thanks to pepperrn for this image
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4588094959/in/set-72157624015624892/

[If the Queen's bust has been transferred to Queen Elizabeth, s'pose there might be a wee crumb of humble pie for supper! ;)]
To find the bronze bust of The Queen that was cast by Oscar Nemon (?specifically for that position on QE2), being used to decorate another "Queen's" Room would seem downright inappropriate!
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1935.0.html
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 04:57 PM by Twynkle »

Book Review : P&O Oriana & Aurora - TAKING UK CRUISING INTO A NEW MILLENIUM

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Ships

Replies: 0
Views: 2138
Last post Mar 09, 2013, 06:15 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Three Queens bottle

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 2
Views: 710
Last post Mar 27, 2023, 02:09 AM
by cunardqueen
QE2 Presence on Hotel Queen Mary

Started by Brandon SterkelBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 8
Views: 3139
Last post May 20, 2015, 11:21 PM
by Hank Hargrove
The Queens visit to her namesake in 1969

Started by jdlBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 1
Views: 1342
Last post Nov 24, 2014, 04:51 PM
by June Ingram
Website dedicated to the Cunard Queens (cunardqueens.com)

Started by Ocean Liner FanaticBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 2830
Last post Nov 17, 2009, 11:24 AM
by LegendOfTheSeas