Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens  (Read 36900 times)

Cruise_Princess

Re: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #80 on: Oct 03, 2010, 06:53 PM »
I find it distasteful that her bell and builders plate have been removed. They are integral parts of her 'being'. If her voice was stolen as well, it would be like thieving while she slept. When ever I hear her whistle it just grabs you from the inside and sends a shiver down my spine. Why on earth was her builders plate removed? It's like removing her 'belly button' when she was joined to John Browns during her creation. All REAL ships have souls. Why some people don't understand this, makes no sense to me. ::)

You said that very simply and very well Jem.....and yes they all have real souls....its so distasteful to do this to her....just makes me wonder why. they are 'emptying ' her out  like this??
and more so....were they SOLD or were they GIVEN?  What do you think?

Just read your response Rob about emptying...after I wrote the above!!
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2010, 06:55 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #81 on: Oct 04, 2010, 02:36 AM »
I have always said that I think it was crazy for Cunard to sell the Heritage Trail with QE2. The Heritage Trail's sale was like Cunard selling their soul.

HOWEVER, I have also always thought that if QE2 is saved and respectfully preserved as an 'as is' hotel, the Heritage Trail has no better place than aboard QE2. QE2 is the most iconic, legendary and significant ocean liner of our time and as such deserves to showcase the history of the historic Cunard Line.

So while I can't fathom how a company could sell such precious pieces (such as the Laconia Cup, original paintings, the Mauretania (ex. Lusitania) model, Spirit of the Atlantic etc etc...)... I can't think of a better place for it to be displayed than aboard Hotel QE2.

Does that make sense? Hopefully…

Chris.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #82 on: Oct 04, 2010, 09:01 AM »
I have always said that I think it was crazy for Cunard to sell the Heritage Trail with QE2. The Heritage Trail's sale was like Cunard selling their soul.

HOWEVER, I have also always thought that if QE2 is saved and respectfully preserved as an 'as is' hotel, the Heritage Trail has no better place than aboard QE2. QE2 is the most iconic, legendary and significant ocean liner of our time and as such deserves to showcase the history of the historic Cunard Line.

So while I can't fathom how a company could sell such precious pieces (such as the Laconia Cup, original paintings, the Mauretania (ex. Lusitania) model, Spirit of the Atlantic etc etc...)... I can't think of a better place for it to be displayed than aboard Hotel QE2.

Does that make sense? Hopefully…

Chris.

Chris -

Your thinking makes good sense!

It would also seem to be sensible and important for her Builders Plate, and Bell to be restored, if at all possible - preferably together with the other artifacts.
Replicas of these could have been placed on the new Queen Elizabeth, perhaps with an explanation and photographs of them in situ on QE2 - where (in my mind, at any rate) they still belong.

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

richc1977

« Reply #83 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Has anyone else seen this on www.wearecunard.com

http://wearecunard.com/2010/10/cunard-takes-delivery-of-queen-elizabeth/

Look at the picture of the Yacht Club in high resolution.........see link below.

http://wearecunard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Photo-17.jpg

Look what's in the glass case on the left!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #84 on: Oct 05, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Has anyone else seen this on www.wearecunard.com

http://wearecunard.com/2010/10/cunard-takes-delivery-of-queen-elizabeth/

Look at the picture of the Yacht Club in high resolution.........see link below.

http://wearecunard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Photo-17.jpg

Look what's in the glass case on the left!

I think the brown room looks just awful, those brown chairs look spectacularly cheap, and the model doesn't look good or right there.  Put it back where it belongs.  Gutted.  Literally.   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'( :'(   :'(    :'( 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #85 on: Oct 05, 2010, 11:23 PM »
I think the brown room looks just awful, those brown chairs look spectacularly cheap, and the model doesn't look good or right there.  Put it back where it belongs.  Gutted.  Literally.   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'( :'(   :'(    :'( 

I am sure that whoever arranged this transfer meant well... but it does seem to me like stripping the most personal jewellery off a person on her sick bed... as though she had died already and anything was permissible...

Looking at this my most favourite silver model where it is placed according to the photograph would be totally different from looking at it in the Midships Lobby. There, it had a position of prominence and was a miniature symbol of the big ship around it... while in its new position, it will be an object of curiosity with no particular value other than that of the silver itself...

I hope it is soon returned to QE2 -- and meanwhile, it will reinforce me in my desire not to set foot on this ship...

Maybe the Queen will surprise us all yet again and will name the new ship "Italia" or some similarly suitable and historic Cunard / White Star name... in which case, it would be quite appropriate for all "Elizabeth" items to be returned to their real owner forthwith...    :'(

richc1977

« Reply #86 on: Oct 06, 2010, 12:01 AM »
The Midship Lobby on the QE2 just reeked of quality and had that cosy-ness that I do think is lacking in that phoro.

Online Twynkle

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #88 on: Oct 10, 2010, 06:57 PM »
The Bell and Builders Plate from QE2.
Images from Peter Knego, Maritime Matters
http://maritimematters.com/2010/10/queen-elizabeth-photo-gallery-pre-decked/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #89 on: Oct 10, 2010, 08:37 PM »
The bust

http://yfrog.com/2f2ugj

Gutted.  Both me, and QE2.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #90 on: Oct 10, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Seeing these treasured items is like having your best friend kidnapped and receiving their fingers one by one in the post.

The Yacht Club was my favourite space on QE2, by contrast the new one looks horific, really bad.  Certainly no setting the Asprey model, possibly my favourite object on the planet.

I did get an invite to see QE but decided on washing my hair instead...

This diminishes QE2 to "what's left of QE2 status" and that is not good, not good at all.

Alex.

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #91 on: Oct 11, 2010, 12:37 AM »

Having seen it in the flesh, it looks magnificent. And the setting is, in fact, ideal. Judging by QV, the room will offer many opportunities to quietly view the model without being disturbed, at least during the day.

Take it from me - you'd not be aware of the rest of the room when you see it. I shall certainly spend some quiet time looking at it in January. Surely, however much you think it may looked better in the QE2 Midships lobby, it is better that it is seen and that the beauty of both Asprey's work and the ship herself is available to another generation, as well to those who loved QE2. I'm sure that there wasn't a single day of the 143 I spent on board RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 when I didn't stop and look at that wonderfully crafted model. And was moved far more than I expected to be when I saw it again. I can't wait until January 5th when I can see it again.

Matthew
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 03:22 AM by Kindlychap »
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline QueensFan

« Reply #92 on: Oct 11, 2010, 03:32 AM »
I do have to say...after some research...

The Midships Lobby was redone in 1994, as known and according to http://tziper.tripod.com/today.htm. In the photo there taken between 1994-1999, it is obvious that the model is not there - the copyright of the site is 1998, and the model is not present where it would be on the left side of the photo, opposite the Spirit of the Atlantic. Indeed, the entire "recess wall" is different there.

Thus, it would make sense that the model was added in the 1999 refit, as fits the time source of this photo, and the last incarnation of the Midships Lobby we all know and love.

If you look at a photo of that incarnation, seen here in 2004 --> http://family.webshots.com/photo/1245065470058891937cIHVMB, you can see that a cutout was made for the model, which is not apparent in the ca.1994 picture.

The refit was done in November-December 1999, c.f. http://www.qe2.org.uk/itinerary_1999.html. As thus, with it being placed onboard at that time, the Asprey model was on QE2 very slightly less than nine years of her service life. As thus, I can hardly consider it any "original" piece of QE2.

Heck, I have a 2000 brochure that I got in the mail (from the Internet) before that model went onboard...
--- Greg

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #93 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Yes, it was 1999 when it was added to the QE2's mid ships lobby.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #94 on: Oct 11, 2010, 02:08 PM »
Yes, it was 1999 when it was added to the QE2's mid ships lobby.

When was it made? And where was it before the 1999 refit?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #95 on: Oct 12, 2010, 08:42 PM »
The bust

http://yfrog.com/2f2ugj

Gutted.  Both me, and QE2. 

Call me old fashioned but l just thought it was much to close to the general public area, On QE2 yes it was the centre of attention, and you could go up and admire it. Where as on Queen Elizabeth in the present location, its probably too easy to be hands on with Her Majesty.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #96 on: Oct 12, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Myles, I totally agree. The bust of Queen Elizabeth is currently positioned such that she is looking out of the Queen's Room. I too think a central position would be much more appropriate. I also wonder if it has had a coat of bronze paint applied? However, I am very pleased it, and other QE2 treasures are there for us all to enjoy.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010, 09:56 PM by Cunarder Man »

Online Twynkle

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #98 on: Oct 13, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Myles, I totally agree. The bust of Queen Elizabeth is currently positioned such that she is looking out of the Queen's Room. I too think a central position would be much more appropriate. I also wonder if it has had a coat of bronze paint applied? However, I am very pleased it, and other QE2 treasures are there for us all to enjoy.

I agree that the position is compromised from what we are used to. The difficulty is that the room is so different from that on QE2 that a similar position is impossible.. It is, at least, easy to view where it is. Whilst I'm not completely happy with her position, I do find it difficult to see a better position in that particular room.

And there would be howls should it be elsewhere, of course.

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #99 on: Oct 15, 2010, 03:38 AM »

So what's the deal if Nakheel sell QE2 / make good on their plans for hotel QE2... do the items stay on QE or go with QE2?

So the cat is out of the bag!

From QE2: the silver model from the Midships Lobby; the Royal Standard from the Queens Room; the bell from Three Deck; the Bust of HM The Queen from the Queens Room and her Builder's Plate from the Wardroom.

But one other item was removed from QE2 but that's not headed for Queen Elizbath. That's going to ???

In addition there will be some great QE2 paintings dotted around the new Elizabeth. Plus we have the tribute in signal flags in the new Yacht Club.

Oh... And they share the same call sign.