Author Topic: The radical 1987 Refit that never was...  (Read 19692 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The radical 1987 Refit that never was...
« on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I have added a comprehensive new page to the main website.

Go to - https://www.theqe2story.com/1987Concepts/ to see it.

Absolutely fascinating material, as Cunard contemplated what to do with QE2's interiors (and exteriors) at the same time as the radical and very expensive re-engining was going ahead.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2013, 06:35 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andrew Collier

Re: The radical 1987 Refit that never was...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Awesome insight, can't believe this has been kept hidden for so many years!

Can't quite get my head around it all, it's a whole new QE2!!!!

Some of it looks good, but i'm really glad some of it didnt happen, gonna go read it all more thoroughly....

....Cheers  8)
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline matdark

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2010, 07:22 PM »
wow... glad it never happenend, especially externally! what's THAT funnel??

adlersc

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Re-fit took place just after I left the ship and I had no idea of these plans. Fantastic insight. Thanks

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Interesting to see the plans.  :o

I am so glad that it didn't happen as it would have spelt the end of the line for the ship then as the overall look of her would have been spoiled beyond repair. The funnel would have look hideious and unsightly and the interior plans don't look any better. Thankfully they choose the right type of funnel in the end and there was no radical change of the overall plans of the ship.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Exciting stuff there !! Especially the new look for the A stairs.. would have looked good if they had followed through on the rest of the stairwells with the same design with the name on the carpet/staircase, a throwback to the Queen Mary?
** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img8/3443/hotelqueenmary508.jpg[/img]
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:52 PM »
I like quite a few elements of it... i like the A-stairway upgrade with the wee dedicated penthouse lift, i even like the idea of the QG & QG lounge being at the front, and i think the new windows for them across the front of the ship would have improved her looks.  I think the curtains to block out the shops in the grand lounge was a good idea too.. i'm still mulling over the rest of it.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2010, 09:12 PM »
I honestly think Cunard breathed a sigh of huge relief that they went with the option they did, otherwise it wouldn't be the QE2 that we grew to love and adore.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Very interesting about the proposed Queen's Grill location, particularly the windows...

As for that funnel, thank goodness they didn't - in that rear three quarters angle view of the ship from above, that proposed funnel design looks like something extremely rude! :o
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2010, 12:31 AM »
I like quite a few elements of it... i like the A-stairway upgrade with the wee dedicated penthouse lift, i even like the idea of the QG & QG lounge being at the front, and i think the new windows for them across the front of the ship would have improved her looks.  I think the curtains to block out the shops in the grand lounge was a good idea too.. i'm still mulling over the rest of it.

With the windows in the front, she looks very much like QM2 in the rendering.  If there was one feature the ship lacks, is forward looking rooms.  I welcome the day I will be on QM2, sitting in a chair in the Library, overlooking the bow.  Regarding the funnel, it is obvious that this was not yet coordinated with the re-engining aspects which necessitated the fatter funnel to conceal al the new mechanicals.  Fastinating post!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:08 AM »
Some really good ideas as well as some really horrible ones.  I would have liked to see the removal of the mystery box to bring back a proper lounge/restaurant and thus the windows but what would have become of the Wardroom if it was to be converted into a lounge.  Also wonder where the extra galley area, claimed to be needed after 1972, would go.  Looks like they would have expanded restaurant capacity and reduced galley space back to the 1969 level.

I could have dealt with the expanded Boat Deck forward and would have liked to have seen the penthouse elevator near A Stairway but thank God that mast and funnel never came to reality.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2010, 08:33 AM »
.....With the windows in the front, she looks very much like QM2 in the rendering..... 

Interesting that  that  you should say that too, Ken!
At first glance, I was wondering about the possibility of Stephen Payne having access to these plans as he was designing QM2!
Just imagine the outrage, had QE2 lost the shape of her funnel and mast!

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Amazing information Rob, this must have taken a while to put together! What a marvellous find, makes for fascinating reading!

I must say, I am glad that QE2's external appearance wasn't hindered by certain elements of this proposal. I can't stand the balconies and altered forward profile, remind me of those awful hotel concepts leaked from Nakheel.

The interior concepts are interesting. I am glad many didn't proceed. I loved looking down the stairwells! The aft area around One Deck with a proper alternative dining venue would probably have looked better than the Pavilion which was eventually added during Project Lifestyle. As popular as The Pavilion was, it wasn't pretty!

Thinking of Project Lifestyle, the mid-ships lobby concepts remind me of the original Project Lifestyle ideas, of a two storey atrium style lobby:

I guess I am biased as I love QE2 as she is. If the proposed changes had happened, she would have been a very different ship.

** Images are from here: http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1871&CatLevel=&Cat1_ID=&Cat2_ID=&Cat3_ID=&Cat4_ID=&FromSearch=True&SearchPage=%2Ftravelpage%2Faspgallery%2Fsearch.asp%3FCatLevel%3D%26Cat1_ID%3D%26Cat2_ID%3D%26Cat3_ID%3D%26Cat4_ID%3D%26SearchText%3DQE2%26x%3D0%26y%3D0
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010, 12:29 PM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Thanks Chris.

With each set of 'concepts', they always thought she needed a more dramatic midships lobby / dramatic entrance.  However I disagree.  I think it would have actually been misleading.  QE2 had relatively low ceilings, and was relatively old fashioned in terms of her deck arrangements.  A dramatic double-height midships lobby, would just have made the rest of the decks feel even more low, I think.  I like the original lobby, and i like it as it ended up too.  It set the tone for the rest of the ship, and made you realise you were not going onto a state of the art "bling" ship, but a beautiful classic.

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2010, 12:38 PM »
I for one, loved the lobby in its 1994-present appearance. It was superb, it was Cunard and it was VERY QE2 (of that time)...

To borrow your superb image:

(Click https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/2796041044/ to see full size)

It's just a stunning space!

The pursers desk, if ever moved, would have benefited from being closer to the lobby on Two Deck, but as it was everyone found their way there in the end ;)

I think in large, the 1987 'concepts' would have resulted in a very 80's QE2 that would have dated quickly - and not in the way that Project Lifestyle dated QE2 (purposely) but rather in a "hmm very 80's" kind of way.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010, 12:43 PM by Rob Lightbody »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Tour Office 1987 - 1994

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 2
Views: 717
Last post Oct 14, 2018, 02:30 PM
by Michael Gallagher
1987 : What's New On The QE2?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1980s

Replies: 2
Views: 1850
Last post Dec 24, 2014, 03:02 PM
by June Ingram
1986/7 Refit Plans & Drawings for Sale.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 3495
Last post Apr 10, 2009, 08:40 PM
by Malcolm
1987 to 1994 era Queens Room Chairs?

Started by Thomas HypherBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 6
Views: 483
Last post Jun 16, 2020, 10:48 PM
by Rob Lightbody
QE2 1994 Refit: Project Lifestyle

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard The 1990s

Replies: 31
Views: 3488
Last post Aug 27, 2020, 07:30 PM
by Shirley Ann Marshall Stirling