Author Topic: Report of the QE2 Story NY Meet Up  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Scott Ebersold

Report of the QE2 Story NY Meet Up
« on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Hi All,

Yesterday we had what we hope to be the first of many QE2 Story New York meet ups.  Even though the turnout was small - me, Lisa and my partner Barry -   we had a great time.  (Pics below.)

First stop was the South Street Sea Port museum.  http://www.southstreetseaportmuseum.org/  

Currently there is a special exhibit on NORMANDIE which included the (once lost and then "found") ships wheel, many of the Dumas wall panels, art deco furniture (a whole 1st Class dinning room set), and a grand piano from one of the mail suites.  It was a great exhibit, and to our surprise, the Art Deco Society was there on a private tour.  The tour was lead by none other than Maritime Historian, Bill Miller.

Moving onto the permanent collection in the Walter Lord Gallery, we toured the collection of ship models where we saw a HUGE model of QUEEN MARY (which we could have climbed inside of).  Of course what really sparked our interest was the model of our favorite gal, QE2 (in her post-reengeneering 1980s appearance).  While admiring QE2, we met a nice couple from Vancouver Island who were in town for Steamship Historical Society meeting and a sailing a HAL ship today.  We had a nice chat about the ROTTERDAM and the future QE2.  They seemed very eager to hear more about the QE2 forum and I trust we will have two new members soon.

Tied up next to the museum is the Lightship Ambrose (the ship that used to mark the entrance to New York harbor) and couple of tall sailing ships including, Peking.  We toured the ships, I took the helm of Ambrose Lightship, and then we took a break for a smart lunch.

Making a great day even better, our next stop was the old Cunard building at 25 Broadway where we were granted exclusive access to the Great Hall (ticketing hall) which is normally not open to the public.  This was an amazing experience that would not have been possible without the help of Lisa (QE2lover) who arranged the entrance for us.  Even in its current state of disrepair the space was breathtaking!  

Check out this article about is in the times:  http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9501E0D6113FEE3ABC4953DFB366838A639EDE

And finally, please do check out our pics:  http://gallery.me.com/scottebersold#100190

We definitely hope to meet up again sometime this summer and hope more of you can join us.  More on that soon.

-Scott

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010, 05:18 PM by Scott Ebersold »

Offline Kathy M.

Re: Report of the QE2 Story NY Meet Up
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures - the detail in the Cunard Building is amazing!  Hopefully there will be a another get together soon!
Kathy

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:17 PM »
I'm glad you all had such a great time, and I really wish I had been there - maybe next time !

The Cunard building looks amazing, you were so lucky to get access like that - well done & thanks to Lisa!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Thanks from me too - fabulous pics!

Glad to see evidence of more forum folk meeeting up in real life.
Here's to many more such occasions in all corners of the world  ;D

Ali
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:55 PM »
And from me!

These are wonderful images!
And a really good idea - the Cunard Building looks very grand!
The old girl sitting in Dubai, she'd be delighted for you, too!!

(Did you mention what you were about, to the Art Deco group? ;) )
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Thanks for your report Scott. Sounds as though everyone had a fabulous time. Those photos of the inside of the Cunard building are super... what an amazing place. Do Cunard still own the building?
I didn't realise they had a building there, the company address used to be 555 Fifth Ave. Are Cunard still there?
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

QE2lover

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:51 PM »

Cunard no longer owns or occupies the 25 Broadway building. The 555 Fifth Avenue location housed Cunard in the later years before operations moved to Florida.

The 25 Broadway building was designated a Landmark in 1995. The Great Hall is used as part of movie sets (most recently, the movie Wall Street 2) and gala dinners. Otherwise, it is closed to the public.

http://www.thecityreview.com/downtown/financial/cunard.html

Best regards,
Lisa

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Cunard moved to Miami from New York in 1997 and since then have been in Los Angeles. The Head Office has been back in Southampton from 2009.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:22 PM »
I absolutely LOVE the QE2 Model by the way.  Did it have the Magradome fitted to it?  It looks like it did.  it looks like its from just after the re-engining, around 1987-1990 era.  How much would I give to have that here in my home...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Yes.  I did have the magradome!  I thought I saw Lisa taking a pic of the stern.  Lisa, did you?

Offline luzparis

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for the pictures  i Hope thé dais was wonderful  :)

QE2lover

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2010, 12:47 AM »

Scott..Yes. I emailed you this evening the only picture that I took of the stern...showing the magradome. Could you please post to the forum. Thanks very much.
Best regards,
Lisa

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Here it is!

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I absolutely LOVE the QE2 Model by the way.  Did it have the Magradome fitted to it?  It looks like it did.  it looks like its from just after the re-engining, around 1987-1990 era.  How much would I give to have that here in my home...

I have to agree with you Rob, a stunning model which looks very realistic. Date wise, I'd say 1987/1988. New funnel, magradome still there as are lifeboats/tenders Alpha & Beta.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

QE2 accident report - 1 fatality (23 June 2002)

Started by WaverleyBoard The 2000s

Replies: 0
Views: 2723
Last post Sep 13, 2009, 10:11 PM
by Waverley
Carnival Splendor Accident Report Released

Started by highlander0108Board Sea Shanties

Replies: 5
Views: 2036
Last post Jul 17, 2013, 03:57 AM
by highlander0108
Cunard Annual Report and Accounts 1969

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 6
Views: 734
Last post Apr 20, 2021, 01:05 PM
by Lynda Bradford
FINAL INVENTORY REPORT SURVEY OF ORIGINAL FINE AND DECORATIVE ARTS ON THE ROYAL

Started by Stowaway2kBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 5
Views: 2485
Last post Feb 21, 2012, 01:01 AM
by cunardqueen
Cunard Annual Report and Accounts 1965

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 0
Views: 332
Last post May 25, 2018, 09:28 AM
by Michael Gallagher