Author Topic: So Just WHAT was QE2 christened with?  (Read 13171 times)

Online Twynkle

Re: So Just WHAT was QE2 christened with?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 12:17 AM »
Yeah Skilly -
c 1964 - Off to the The Cavern, rigged out in black mini-skirt, wicked stilettos, CND badge, poppit beads, psychodelic T-shirt all hidden well beneath the new maxi (coat, not Austin!), pockets stuffed with Beat Poetry, Peter Stuyvesant and ready for the first Babycham of the night....We were a bit late, feeling very cool, definitely part of the Swinging Sixties; and just in time to catch A Hard Days Night.....
The Cavern in Mathew St was little more than a stones throw from the Cunard Building!

And just in case you didn't get to see any of The Beatles on QE2, here's Ringo!
Thanks to faulmacca

By the way - Does someone know why a Jeroboam of Babycham (or champagne, even!) wasn't used to launch QE2?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:15 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2011, 10:51 AM »
On this day 20th September 1967.....
The rest, as they say is history    ;D
and what a history !
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Sep 20, 2011, 12:01 PM »
On this day 20th September 1967.....
The rest, as they say is history    ;D
and what a history !

... and I should be on bbc radio Scotland at around 12.40 to talk about it!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:19 PM »
... and I should be on bbc radio Scotland at around 12.40 to talk about it!

" Radio Scotland, playing just for you.
So beat the band, and join the clan, on Station 242!"
Anyone remember that?
Pirate radio??? Or am I the only old fart on here?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:32 PM »
   Or am I the only old fart on here?   
Far from it.... ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Alistair

« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2011, 10:17 AM »
I remember it well and was devastated when it shut down. It was a while before Radio 1 filled the gap and O.M.G. we have gone off topic!

Offline Rod

« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Back on topic:
In my view ships are christened! They are given a name just like children....and yes they are children. Those that serve on them become the parents and like human parents,  must work on their children to make them become great adults. Sometimes its hard work sometimes not.  Sometimes they require  hospital treatment that the parents cannot give. In the end the child must be given up to what the good Lord has planned.
Christening a ship goes back to BC. Sacrifices where often made and the blood of the sacrificed animal was poured on the deck to keep the ship safe.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Did anyone see The Antiques Roadshow on BBC1 tonight Mon 7th  May. Fioana Bruce interviewed a man (about 40 to 45 mins in) with the spare bottle of empire wine prepared for the QE2 launching in case anything went wrong with the first bottle.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Back on topic:
In my view ships are christened! They are given a name just like children....and yes they are children. Those that serve on them become the parents and like human parents,  must work on their children to make them become great adults. Sometimes its hard work sometimes not.  Sometimes they require  hospital treatment that the parents cannot give. In the end the child must be given up to what the good Lord has planned.
Christening a ship goes back to BC. Sacrifices where often made and the blood of the sacrificed animal was poured on the deck to keep the ship safe.

Hello Rod
I really like your thoughts here - the ship needing to be taught things, and looked after etc.

However, hope you won't be Very cross with me - or worse still, threaten to quit - again!
Christening is definitely an AD word - Partly because, in all the years BC - there couldn't be a 'christ'ening.
However in earlier days there was a naming, and in the case of ships, as well as debutantes and new models - there was launching too :)
The only thing I'm still slightly uncertain about is the title 'Launcheress'.
Before the Very recent invention of a ship's godmother (madrina in Italy), I wonder how Cunard used to refer to the 'Ladies' who launched their ships...
Rosie

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:08 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Matteo 91

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Hello Rod
Hope you won't be cross with me - or worse still, threaten to quit - again!
Christening is definitely an AD word - Partly because, in all the years BC - there couldn't be a 'christ'ening.
However in earlier days there was a naming, and in the case of ships, as well as debutantes and new models - there was launching too :)
Before the Very recent invention of a ship's godmother (madrina in Italy), I wonder how Cunard used to refer to the 'Ladies' who launched their ships...
Rosie

Interesting question ...

I also agree with Rod, I like the way ships are considered "alive" ... the name, the christening and so on. Even the registry is similar to a birth certificate! I think every master of a ship feels a true bond between his soul and his ship's.

Offline Rod

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Hello Rod
I really like your thoughts here - the ship needing to be taught things, and looked after etc.

However, hope you won't be Very cross with me - or worse still, threaten to quit - again!
Rosie

Thats it I quit!!!!!!!!!!!! Fed up with Rosie not agreeing with me!

Offline Rod

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 10:47 PM »
I was just trying to make it easier Rosie. Christening, naming etc . Yes christening does bring on a religious significence, but then there ALWAYS has been as far as I can see even to 3 BC when animals were sacrificed and the blood poured on the deck...thats where it all came from. As other nations and religions appeared they all put their slant on it.
Nowadays the ship is quite often launched....sails for a bit and then named by a "sponsor" Cunard Princess for 1! US Navy ships apart from the biggest are usually a family member (female) relative of the person it was named after. Called the ships Godmother.

US NAVY people on this forum and correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 11:13 PM »
...and even the biggest (for example the "George HW" was Christened by a female family member).  Didn't Laura Bush do the honors for her IIRC?

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Nowadays the ship is quite often launched....sails for a bit and then named by a "sponsor" Cunard Princess for 1!

Copenhagen to La Spezia to New York before Princess Grace chucked a bottle at her. That must be about 8,000 miles or so.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #35 on: Apr 28, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Did anyone see The Antiques Roadshow on BBC1 tonight Mon 7th  May. Fioana Bruce interviewed a man (about 40 to 45 mins in) with the spare bottle of empire wine prepared for the QE2 launching in case anything went wrong with the first bottle.

I've had an enquiry about the Australian wine used to send her on her way. Does anyone know exactly where it came from or even a photo of the bottle.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2014, 04:01 PM by Fairfield »
Paul Strathdee

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2016, 10:41 AM »
Interesting to know that it was not Champagne that was used to Christened QE2.  They must have been saving the champagne for passengers to drink when sailing on the ship, as lot's of champagne was certainly served. 

Lot's to read about on this topic if you go back to the initial post
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1895.msg20736.html#msg20736

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com