Author Topic: Farewell voyage events & happenings  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Farewell voyage events & happenings
« Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2010, 04:05 PM »
How emotional. Time to say goodbye... I bet everyone was thinking "why"! When we were on QE2 in September 08 the overwhelming feeling was how is thisready to retire!?!?
Chris - It's tempting to ask 'Time for Who to say goodbye?' !! ;)

Flagship
It's thoughtful of you to note that many of us did want (in this case, need) to be there to wish her well - and a safe journey!

Did anyone read the poem,  'I am standing by the seashore'?

Although I wouldn't mind betting that if she was able to speak, QE2 even with her albeit her dodgy WTD's,
didn't really think it was time to say farewell.
QE2 was a hardworking old girl - definitely not the type to put her feet up, willingly.
Not the type to sail off into the Sunset...
Not the sort to miss the Party
Not the kind not to miss us all
After all, her props still work!!
Rosie

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010, 11:34 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

RmsAquitania

« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I dont think there ever would have been a right time to retire our QE2, even though in this case she definately was retired too soon. I think its definate;y the fact that carnival were offered too much money to refuse. Its so tragic that it wasntt realised there is still a  lot of bussiness and money to be earned by those older classical ships. on our last cruise a couple of weeks ago we saw the MV Athena in Malta and Rome and she was packed to the rafters and for her age she looked fab. I spoke to a few of her passengers and l;ike QE2 had she has a loyal band of regulars who are increasing in numbers as time goes on, and surprisingly their average age was much younger than QE2s regular passengers. like QE2 the Athena has a lot of history, infact in a previous life in the 1950s, when under her original name of SS Stockholm, she collided and sank the italian liner Andria Doria. I think ive done it again and gone off the thread  sorry moderators.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Again, not everyone could have attended every event but they added up to a farewell unlike any other.

For my part, everything that you did to make QE2's farewell special, is much appreciated Michael. It must have been very painful for you to have been so closely involved with her goodbye and yet such an excellent job was done.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Please - if you think a topic is indeed going off-topic, feel free to, for instance, post your reply in the correct topic elsewhere (or start a new one) and then post a link to it on the first topic. 
This will reduce the work for the moderators and I.  At the moment it seems a bit like every topic is going off-topic, but thank you to everybody for your continued enthusiasm!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online skilly56

« Reply #24 on: Jun 07, 2010, 01:38 AM »
Hi All,

I've just managed to glue together some video clips taken before & during The Final Farewell from Southampton in Nov 2008. Young fella forgot he even had them. All filmed from the Bridge wings (probably see Michael in there somewhere?).

Also some photos he took while taking the ship's draft marks for the last time before departure.

Cheers

Skilly

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2010, 06:30 PM »
ABSOLUTELY Fantastic photos and videos, thanks so much!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Amazing. That whistle. :'(

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Michael, feel free to capture stills of the DVD I sent you and post them up on here.  Or even clips from it. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Jem

« Reply #28 on: Jun 08, 2010, 02:50 AM »
Just fantastic. When she speaks to Southampton for the last time, it does bring a tear to the eye.

Online skilly56

« Reply #29 on: Jun 08, 2010, 03:16 AM »
Hi Michael,

Yes, THE WHISTLE.

Really, it makes all the other ships whistles sound 'inadequate'. On one of my ship's years ago I was overhauling the compressed air Super Typhon whistle and I decided to screw out the tone adjusting bolt just to see how deep I could get the note. I left the last four threads in before I locked the bolt, then signaled the mate to push the button. It did come out a lot deeper, but did not sound 'melodious' so to speak. I hadn't taken earmuffs up with me that time, and I reckon I can still here the noise!

It was the whistle rather than the fireworks that decided me to post the clips of the Southampton departure. As you know, the purest noise is heard from the bridge wings, and that is where the young fella recorded it from.

Michael, what happens when you turn the sound up at work and play little clips like the one below? LOL.

My cell phone ring is this same sound - I definitely know when mine rings!

Oh, why does my family think I'm obsessed?????

Cheers
Skilly

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #30 on: Jun 08, 2010, 03:44 AM »
Amazing. That whistle. :'(

Gets me everytime  :'(  Watching this video took me right back to the ship and left me in total sadness.  :'(
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #31 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:32 AM »

Still seems so sad to see her sail away.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #32 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:55 AM »
reminds my my why no cruise taken since can ever live up to her.....life  just isnt the same without her is it?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Still seems so sad to see her sail away.
Watching this clip immediately after watching the Vera Lynn clip, where QE2 was proudly representing 'Best of British' once again, it just seems so wrong that she sailed away at all.  Not everybody remembers just how huge QE2 was in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s.  As far as the media was concerned, she didn't belong to Cunard, she belonged to us - the British people.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #34 on: Jul 15, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I agree Rob..I thnk thats the difference today...QM and QV belong to Cunard and Carnival,...not us any more....  I so wish I was booking a cruise on QE2 right now after looking thru the brochures today....theres just nowt there to appeal...fly cruises for most of the winter with the new QE2 doing a couple of (dare I say it?) common type cruises to Canaries etc.......oh for a lovely long line voyage like the good old days......QE2  PLEASE COME HOME!!

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #35 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:01 AM »
You're so right Rob. I think in the hearts of many, even during the 2000's, she was Britain's greatest ambassador.
Everyone, so it seems, was totally blind-sided by her sale to Dubai.
It's terrible that she was sold, and even more terrible that she sits, empty, nearly two years since she slipped away from Britain for the final time.

QE2 Deluxe Boxed Set Farewell Collection

Started by cunardqueenBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 42
Views: 14038
Last post May 02, 2013, 01:51 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2 Farewell World Cruise -- Jennie's Diary

Started by jennie231Board Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 8
Views: 3428
Last post Jan 29, 2017, 11:39 AM
by Lynda Bradford