Author Topic: Final call to Dublin (when did it happen?)  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Twynkle

Final call to Dublin (when did it happen?)
« on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:35 PM »
A reminder of the advertised last call at Dublin
[Edited - Only she didn't actually go there...]
See below!

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2012, 11:50 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Michael Gallagher

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Roise

That image is Greenock. QE2 never went to Dublin. The call (scheduled for the last Round Britain) was cancelled.

Michael

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:43 PM »
You said it, Michael. We had planned for MONTHS that we would be there to give her a great send-off in Dublin... and then... the final call was cancelled. Indeed, this was Greenock, and I was there!

Offline Twynkle

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Oh Dear!!
and thank you, too!
Disappointing for the Dubliners, and extra work for evveryone else ;)
Hmm...I even checked it here before posting :(
http://www.qe2.org.uk/itinerary.html

Was there a reason given for the cancellation?
Might it be something of interest here!!?

(Shall we keep this thread - as a mark of respect?!)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:57 PM »
I wonder when her actual final call to Dublin was?

And was this perhaps her maiden call as well, given the fact that Dublin Port would not have been able to receive her until quite recently -- it would have been Dún Laoghaire before? Was 1998, when my Mum embarked for the first time by tender in Dún Laoghaire, perhaps her final call there?

Offline Twynkle

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Isabelle
Here are a few links to QE2's call at Dun Laoghaire
http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/textgal.html
It was 1998!
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2010, 05:24 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Final call to Dublin
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2010, 11:46 AM »
What was the official name of this cruise around britain, cherbourg, cobh and belfast?

Re: Dublin - when did she last call there - and was it known to be the final call at the time?
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010, 03:49 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2010, 04:01 PM »
What was the official name of this cruise around britain, cherbourg, cobh and belfast?

Re: Dublin - when did she last call there - and was it known to be the final call at the time?

I don't have the Cunard programme to hand at present, but believe it was called something like "Farewell voyage round the British Isles". While Ireland does not particularly like being designated as being part of the "British Isles", the term is geographically correct. It is only Cherbourg that does not quite fit in (but : see below)!

As for Dublin, the final call was to have been on 2 October 2008, see flagship's contribution above, but this was cancelled fairly shortly before it was due to happen. Dublin was replaced by Cherbourg, which also entailed a date switch for Cobh. The real final call to Dublin, if indeed it happened, therefore took place some time earlier, without anyone knowing that QE2 would not be passing that way again... I woiuld really like to know whether an earlier visit did indeed happen and, if so, whether it was also the maiden call. QE2 called at Dun Laoghaire until 1998, and Dublin Port has not been available to big ships until some time fairly recently (not sure of the date...).

Offline Twynkle

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2010, 06:36 PM »
QE2 maiden call to 'Dublin' was in 1997
She anchored in the harbour of Dun Laoghhaire
(http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/events/qe297.html

She called at Dunmore East, Co. Waterford, Ireland
on 1st June 2004 and on 31st August 2004

Her final sailing round the UK and Ireland was called 'British Isles Voyage': 30th September - 10th October 2008
aka Northern Europe voyage E817N. 
(From Cunard brochure!)

Final call to Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2010, 08:38 PM »
QE2 maiden call to 'Dublin' was in 1997
She anchored in the harbour of Dun Laoghhaire
(http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/events/qe297.html

Yes, of course many passengers landing in Dun Laoghaire would go and visit Dublin.

I was, however, distunguishing between QE2 anchoring off Dun Laoghaire on the one hand, and berthing in Dublin Port on the other. 1997 therefore qualifies as a maiden call to Dun Laoghaire, but not to Dublin.

I wonder what the "operational reason" for cancelling the final Dublin visit in 2008 might have been?

Hello from Simon - final transatlantic (book)

Started by VgerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 1874
Last post Jan 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
by Scott Ebersold
Final cruise, Mediterranean November 2008

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 5284
Last post Mar 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
by Barrie Evans
QE2 final eastbound Atlantic crossing

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 6
Views: 1802
Last post Feb 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
by Twynkle
Final day in NYC

Started by Ocean Liner FanaticBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 26
Views: 4804
Last post Oct 10, 2017, 02:47 PM
by Derek Boyd
Malcolm's diary of QE2's final world cruise.

Started by MalcolmBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 247
Views: 74321
Last post Oct 26, 2010, 07:12 AM
by RobertQM2