Author Topic: MV Marco Polo ex Aleksandr Pushkin  (Read 17238 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: MV Marco Polo ex Aleksandr Pushkin
« Reply #40 on: Jun 10, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Having just returned from a 3 nighter on board - we can easily confirm that Marco Polo is a seriously good ship.
We are indebted to Michael, his encouragement was significant, too.

Currently, her interiors are looking almost brand new; evidently, there were no offers for her when up for sale recently - and her itinerary has been extended to September 2019.
The Crew are aware that she may yet be sold, although they say their jobs are safe at the moment.
The Cabin and Dining stewards work exceptionally hard over very long hours - just guessing that this too, is the same for the entire ship's crew.
She reminded us of the comfort and size of the Saga Ruby, and there was a definite sense on board that she was still a strong reminder of QE2, too. The ship has no balconies - and her sheer extends to the stern as well as the bow - this is easy noticed along the interior  passenger cabin decks.
The flooring of her ' heavy metal' Bit beneath the Bridge was being covered with excellent thick non-slip matting, allowing a great view of her very cluttered and busy forward mooring deck, with a great look-out forward, below the bridge wings and along her hull sides. The Captain was much in evidence as she was being parked alongside - her thrusters, props and rudder helping her to turn easily in the estuary of the River Seine.
Her stern is superb! Horse-shoe shaped and dare I say it, better than that P and O's Oriana!
When the extension ("stretching") took place - the new joists needed to be riveted in place - you can see these on the 'boat' deck - The Bosun was really interesting, as was the Chief, now on his 32nd ship.
I got the impression that had we spent longer on, we might have been permitted to view both the Bridge and possibly the Engine Room / ECR.
(Message to Pete C - You would absolutely Love this ship Heavy teak, everywhere - although the food isn't quite as good as onboard you know where!)

She also has a "domed" type of experience underfoot - on the main passenger deck there is a serious incline up  towards the centre from bow to stern, and an incline down either side from centre to her scuppers!!
It seemed that perhaps her passengers weren't as aware as they might have been of the significance of the ship, her build, as well as her history...possibly a very good opportunity currently missed by both her owners as well as CMV who charter her.

As Dubai could work out to be an expensive excursion as a way to experience a stay on board "QE2 with a difference", so does anyone think it might be possible that we could also consider staying on board Marco Polo for a few nights? This way, we could enjoy the Best of Teak and the sense of being on a Small and Great Ship, for possibly a quarter of the cost!? (Repositioning on a one nighter from Harwich to Hull is £59!)

Rumours about the ship's future have been rife - however I believe David Monk's statement,
"However, a spokesman for CMV told me today: ‘These stories do pop up from time to time, especially when such a fine traditional liner is involved. Let me assure you there are no immediate plans, indeed we are busy getting the next CMV brochure ready for launch. Marco Polo is featured in the current 2018 programme and is also set for an exciting programme in 2019.’
https://shipmonk.co.uk/2018/02/19/cmv-answers-speculation-that-marco-polo-is-to-be-sold-as-floating-luxury-apartments/
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018, 03:35 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #41 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:28 PM »
That is very good news, Rosie, and thank you for the reminder of this ship which I enjoyed very much, some years back...

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #42 on: Jun 10, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Having just returned from a 3 nighter on board - we can easily confirm that Marco Polo is a seriously good ship.
We are indebted to Michael, his encouragement was significant, too.

Currently, her interiors are looking almost brand new; evidently, there were no offers for her when up for sale recently - and her itinerary has been extended to September 2019.
The Crew are aware that she may yet be sold, although they say their jobs are safe at the moment.
The Cabin and Dining stewards work exceptionally hard over very long hours - just guessing that this too, is the same for the entire ship's crew.
She reminded us of the comfort and size of the Saga Ruby, and there was a definite sense on board that she was still a strong reminder of QE2, too. The ship has no balconies - and her sheer extends to the stern as well as the bow - this is easy noticed along the interior  passenger cabin decks.
The flooring of her ' heavy metal' Bit beneath the Bridge was being covered with excellent thick non-slip matting, allowing a great view of her very cluttered and busy forward mooring deck, with a great look-out forward, below the bridge wings and along her hull sides. The Captain was much in evidence as she was being parked alongside - her thrusters, props and rudder helping her to turn easily in the estuary of the River Seine.
Her stern is superb! Horse-shoe shaped and dare I say it, better than that P and O's Oriana!
When the extension ("stretching") took place - the new joists needed to be riveted in place - you can see these on the 'boat' deck - The Bosun was really interesting, as was the Chief, now on his 32nd ship.
I got the impression that had we spent longer on, we might have been permitted to view both the Bridge and possibly the Engine Room / ECR.
(Message to Pete C - You would absolutely Love this ship Heavy teak, everywhere - although the food isn't quite as good as onboard you know where!)

She also has a "domed" type of experience underfoot - on the main passenger deck there is a serious incline up  towards the centre from bow to stern, and an incline down either side from centre to her scuppers!!
It seemed that perhaps her passengers weren't as aware as they might have been of the significance of the ship, her build, as well as her history...possibly a very good opportunity currently missed by both her owners as well as CMV who charter her.

As Dubai could work out to be an expensive excursion as a way to experience a stay on board "QE2 with a difference", so does anyone think it might be possible that we could also consider staying on board Marco Polo for a few nights? This way, we could enjoy the Best of Teak and the sense of being on a Small and Great Ship, for possibly a quarter of the cost!? (Repositioning on a one nighter from Harwich to Hull is £59!)

Rumours about the ship's future have been rife - however I believe David Monk's statement,
"However, a spokesman for CMV told me today: ‘These stories do pop up from time to time, especially when such a fine traditional liner is involved. Let me assure you there are no immediate plans, indeed we are busy getting the next CMV brochure ready for launch. Marco Polo is featured in the current 2018 programme and is also set for an exciting programme in 2019.’
https://shipmonk.co.uk/2018/02/19/cmv-answers-speculation-that-marco-polo-is-to-be-sold-as-floating-luxury-apartments/

Lovely review of a lovely ship I hope to travel on sometime soon before she goes...Cunard said (publicly at least) they had no immediate plans for selling QE2 up to the point they announced the sale to Dubai so I'd take CMV's statement with a pinch of salt. We never know when these sales will actually happen despite sometimes having clues. I think the curving from her centreline down to each of her sides  as part of her "domed" experience is what is called "camber" on a ship - designed to help water wash off the deck and ship in heavy weather (hence the camber leading to her scuppers).
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018, 11:05 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #43 on: Jun 11, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Hi Isabelle, and thank you!

Marco Polo qualifies as a genuine Liner, (despite one or two serious mishaps along the way)

Time-permitting, I'll look up her 'anniversaries' - there is no restriction on age, other than she is a ship that carries only adult passengers - and maybe there could be enough of us interested in staying on board to celebrate the coincidence of QE2's anniversaries on board MV MP, at the same time...?

Thank you, Thomas.
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018, 01:44 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #44 on: Jun 11, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Hi Isabelle, and thank you!

Marco Polo qualifies as a genuine Liner, (despite one or two serious mishaps along the way)

Time-permitting, I'll look up her 'anniversaries' - there is no restriction on age, other than she is a ship that carries only adult passengers - and maybe there could be enough of us interested in staying on board to celebrate the coincidence of QE2's anniversaries on board MV MP, at the same time...?

Thank you, Thomas.
Rosie

That's a lovely idea for a group of us to meet up onboard her...would be great to be on a classic ocean liner again!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #45 on: Jul 08, 2019, 01:22 AM »
My video from the other week:

« Reply #46 on: Jul 08, 2019, 07:47 AM »
She really is a beautiful ship! Standing out all the more, now that most of the classical liners have disappeared.

And beautifully filmed too, if I may say so. Thank you!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #47 on: Jul 08, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Indeed, a "proper" ship. Thank you!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

Here's the first bit of video footage from a wonderful short cruise on the great, "proper ship" Marco Polo in early August this year. I travelled with good shipping friends for 2 nights, where we sailed from Tilbury, stopped in Rotterdam, and disembarked in Newcastle (at the berth renamed by Captain Ian McNaught on QE2's final visit to the port). This footage was filmed as we approached Newcastle, the coast being visible at times. I have a lot more photos and videos to edit as and when possible, including from visiting the wonderful SS Rotterdam for a few hours. Not sure if it's wise to make a dedicated topic/thread or not for this cruise?

« Reply #49 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Not sure if it's wise to make a dedicated topic/thread or not for this cruise?

Great to see this video and looking forward to the photos. And all good birthday wishes to you too, Thomas -- may your new year bring you many blessings and new adventures.

As for creating a new topic -- my suggestion is that you stay here for now, keep writing and sharing, and the Moderators can always split the topic later if we believe it is best that way.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Thank you Isabelle :)

I'll post in the relevant topics then (SS Rotterdam topic too).

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2019, 10:53 AM »
Thomas Hi!
So good to read of your time on boad.
What did you make of the impression of sloping decks under-foot in the passenger areas?
This sense of "dome-ness" both athwart-ships as well as from bow to stern is impressive, isn' it?!

I'm so tempted to make a crossing of the Atlantic on board - however the nature of the 'food' might be a little off-putting of a length of time - spoilt by Cunard, I s'pose!
Rosie

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #52 on: Sep 23, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Hi Twynkle,

I loved how significant Marco Polo's sheer is (brought back memories of walking up and down hill on QE2 to our cabins) and I loved her camber (dome-ness), I tried to capture both in photos and videos too.

Likewise, I would love to do a transatlantic on Marco Polo but the food could be an issue as it was nice but not consistent! I had Roast Duck one night and half of it was as tough as a shoe (did my upper gum in trying to eat it!) and the other half was melt in the mouth as one would expect. Also the restaurant waiter service wasn't Cunard but we've been spoilt by QE2 and started at the top.

I hope to travel on Marco Polo again someday!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #53 on: Jul 20, 2020, 09:24 PM »
It was announced on Facebook that Cruise and Maritime line has gone into administration.
This to many of us is / will be extremely sad news.
I expect to know more shortly, and maybe this company which has several other good ships should have its own topic.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2020, 09:26 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #54 on: Jul 20, 2020, 11:27 PM »
As I had cruises booked on both Astoria and Marco Polo for later this year I had an email from the administrator this afternoon about CMV - as there have been a number of stories about the lie desperately looking for financial support in the last fw weeks it is not a surprise. The balance on my Marco Polo trip was technically due yesterday to my travel agent but I held off in case this happened - should get a refund via the TA for monies already Pais.

I was aware that these ships were coming towards the end of their service and thought I had managed to experience them just in time but COVID has put an end to that. I did visit Marco Polo for a tour / lunch 10 years ago and was really looking forward to my trip involving a couple of December Biscay crossings.

As all of the CMV ships are a lot older than some of the ships currently heading to scrapyards prematurely as a result of COVID it seems unlikely that they will see further service under a new owner - Magellan and Columbus were also on my to do list but now on the ones that got away list instead - joining P&O's Oceana that Ihad hoped to combine with a visit to QE2 post-covid.

Thoughts are with those who have lost jobs ashore and afloat although it does mean some of the 'trapped' crew may get the opportunity to return home earlier than may have been the case.

Gary

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #55 on: Jul 21, 2020, 02:46 PM »
I remember seeing MP in Malta in 2005, l was on the notorious Daily Express £10 cruises . If you are of a certan age , it was along the same lines as The Hoover Flights fiasco.  But you knew she was a lovely looking ship, none of this blocks of flats lark.

Malta on this trip i went ashore off The MSC Melody and took a sneezing fit , lord knows why,   
MP l recall a great many years ago was sailing for CTC Cruises, with some unbelievable prices for cruises. But her bridge with the rolled back top l always felt was the perfect bridge shape , reminded me of the bridge of my local ferry up in Orkney, if you climbed uptop and poped your head up you could feel the wind,.

As a side on QE2 we tried to get into Malta l think 2004, I was up on deck to watch as we went into the harbour, The wind was up and sea had a good swell on, a tug had been dispatched to help us, but when the rope snapped that settleed it , No More Malta, To see and hear a tug rope snap is something else, not only for the noise, but when it recoils it would and probably could kill you if you were hit by it.  But on we sailed to enjoy an overnight at the next port. l think Piraeus.  Loved that place and would be glad to revist it again.     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #56 on: Jul 21, 2020, 11:50 PM »
Very sad to hear about CMV going into administration, and that this is likely the end of at least Astoria and Marco Polo even sooner than expected. Marco Polo was the ship a couple of shipping friends (including David Trevor-Jones) and I travelled to Round Tower in Portsmouth to see off last June on a very warm and sunny day. I was also lucky to travel on her last August to Rotterdam (including visiting SS Rotterdam) and Newcastle (docking where QE2 docked) from Tilbury with a few other shipping friends. Little did we know how disastrous 2020 would be for the cruise industry.

I've attached a few photos from each occasion:
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2020, 11:55 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #57 on: Nov 15, 2020, 02:47 PM »
As mentioned recently that I would try to do so, I've finally got around to editing more of my footage from my Marco Polo cruise in August 2019. Please see the video descriptions on YouTube for more information/context with each video.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #58 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:50 AM »
An update on Marco Polo, paraphrasing what I've seen as confirmed news on Facebook (from a reputable source, a shipping friend who as it turns out knows the new owner personally) is that she won't be scrapped yet at least.
She's been bought by "Highseas Ltd" for use as an accommodation ship and the company director who was spoken to said she'll be maintained in class as a passenger ship in this new role with a view to returning to cruising when things get better.
Interestingly she's heading to Dubai soon for her new life, running sea trials from Avonmouth today after a busy handover before heading south.
I really wonder if her A/C will be up to the task of the Middle East climate particularly in the summer and in the long term, if Dubai is to be her new base, given her Soviet origins, her age (despite her major rebuild into Marco Polo in the early 90s), and mainly having been based in temperate climates. I suspect her A/C will be supplemented as per QE2.
Whether she'll ever see cruise service again and whether she'll be successful or not in her new role - time will tell and seeing will be believing. "Highseas Ltd" must have deep pockets too. I'm cautiously hopeful given how things can go in this regard, particularly in that neck of the woods (not just related to QE2).
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2020, 02:38 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #59 on: Nov 17, 2020, 06:51 PM »
 Thomas , I'm a bit hit'n'miss at the moment, but so glad to've met this post, a beautiful looking lady ( so few left) I hope she makes it . Hopes were there alsio for Saga Ruby  & look what happened there.
  A few years ago I posted a pic of '2 old ladies enjoying the sun'    Ruby & Marco Polo in the Baltic, so opportunistic -that day- to be there to snap it , & I've got to say one of my best for a point & shoot camera,
can't find it to re post but it's on the forum somewhere. regards Pete