Author Topic: MV Marco Polo ex Aleksandr Pushkin  (Read 17240 times)

Offline Jem

MV Marco Polo ex Aleksandr Pushkin
« on: Apr 14, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Isnt that like Marco Polo too Rob?  They have an ice strengthened hull but are not classified icebreakers.......as she too was built as a liner and spent an lot of her cruising years in Antartica though not necessarily breaking sea ice...as you say there must  be a classification of some sorts for this...
I sailed on the USSR Alexandr Pushkin (now Marco Polo) in September 1965 Tilbury-Montreal. Her full route was Leningrad—Helsinki—Copenhagen—London (Tilbury)—Quebec City—Montreal. You can see why the ice strengthened hull was needed in the winter months. I was only young at the time but crossing the Atlantic feels like yesterday!

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:33 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

MV Marco Polo ex Alexandr Pushkin
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2010, 12:58 PM »
I sailed on the USSR Alexandr Pushkin (now Marco Polo) in September 1965 Tilbury-Montreal. Her full route was Leningrad—Helsinki—Copenhagen—London (Tilbury)—Quebec City—Montreal. You can see why the ice strengthened hull was needed in the winter months. I was only young at the time but crossing the Atlantic feels like yesterday!

You are making me all excited, as I shall have the pleasure of being on board Marco Polo a fortnight from now... albeit on a much less exciting route. It will be great to be on a moving ship again, and a "real" one at that  :D ... have been suffering withdrawal symptoms...

No other ship will ever compare with QE2... but I do miss the open sea, and other ships can take me there too...
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010, 11:34 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Isabelle I hope you enjoy the little Marco...we sailed on her under the Orient Flag to the Baltics...and enjoyed every minute she still had that old fashioned ship feel with 'proper' portholes ' and lovely promenades albeit on a much smaller scale..she was kept in great condition and her REAL brass fittings gleamed from stern to stern... she wasnt any where near the Qe2 standards but still an enjoyable trip for a real ship buff...my BIG regret is not going to Antartica on her .. we did want to do the northern lights trip in March but left it too late...thats another once in a lifetime experience.....do hope you will do a posting on your return,...will be interesting to see how this new Company operates. 

the above  was off topic a wee bit...but back to the icebreaker theme...those small 'expedition' ships advertised for the Antartic and Arctic cruises I'm sure must be classed as icebreaker hulls as the brochure shows the ship totally surrounded in sea ice whilst the passengers are enjoying a barbecue 'ashore' on top of the sea ice beside the ship!!!   Has anybody out there experience this?

Offline Jem

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2010, 07:32 AM »
At the risk of veering off topic for a moment... you are making me all excited, as I shall have the pleasure of being on board Marco Polo a fortnight from now... albeit on a much less exciting route. It will be great to be on a moving ship again, and a "real" one at that  :D ... have been suffering withdrawal symptoms...

No other ship will ever compare with QE2... but I do miss the open sea, and other ships can take me there too...
Hello Isabelle, have a great time on the Marco Polo. While we were onboard in 65 the crew could not have been nicer to me. As I'm disabled everyday they came to collect me to give my joints a massage. On my birthday they gave me a cake and my Dad taught me to swim in the pool. I was sea sick once and was given an injection and in all the times I've been on the water since I have never felt sea sick again! Wonderful memories of an Atlantic crossing the way it used to me, happy days....
Here's a link to a clip I've put together of her as the Alexandr Pushkin....

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:34 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Thanks Jem...what a wonderful video and the haunting melody of the Russian Anthem just makes it...I so enjoyed it...it was another world wasn't it? that's the first time I have seen her as the Pushkin....Russia used to be such a powerful and proud nation too...despite their 'redness'!!  She does look like a true ocean liner...very streamlined....I wonder how much longer she will sail under her new owners ?   

You are so very lucky to have experienced such a wonderful ship, in a wonderful era.

Re: MV Marco Polo ex Aleksandr Pushkin
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Thank you for that video and those memories, Jem. A ship with a real history, and you brought it to life!

She is now under new ownership again, with Cruise & Maritime Voyages, who also own the former Cunard Countess, now Ocean Countess. Both are classic ships, and both are offering cruises at very affordable prices -- quite possibly too much so for their own good. The 3-nighter I took last week-end was finally sold at GBP 129 per person sharing -- I bought my ticket earlier and am glad that I paid more! This is the sort of ship I would like to be around for a good while yet, as I would want to be on board again some time before too long.

She is a very well built ship with a proud history. We met a fellow passenger, British, who had been the ship's photographer for several months while she was the Aleksandr Pushkin, and told us how good the atmosphere on board was at the time, and how safe the ship had always been. That special ice strengthened hull was mentioned by several people on several occasions -- and indeed, it came in useful even on our own cruise, as apparently (I noticed nothing myself...) she had a little collision with the wooden dock in Tilbury, which damaged the dock quite noticeably (I saw the damage on our return) but left Marco Polo with the mere loss of a few square inches of paint.

Wonderful wide teak decks, plenty of them, one above the other; only the top deck is now out of bounds to passengers. And a good voice too! Not as good as that of QE2 (nothing ever will be), but definitely worth listening out for on the few occasions when she used it.

I shall write up some more as I go along, and shall also upload my photos over the next week or so.

There is a start already made at :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/sets/72157624007520670/

but quite a few more will come!

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:11 PM »

I was on Marco Polo's 'Iberian Highlights' trip, 12-23 April, which was excellent for the price, though there were a few aspects requiring attention (more the experience, than the vessel herself).  The weather was rubbish for Spain, Portugal and North Africa at this time of year, which was very disappointing, but we did pick up a few stranded air travellers on the way back!

Her literature, etc, does describe her as being an ice-breaker, and the following photo was to be seen on a bulkhead in a corridor approaching the bridge, where I did manage to get a visit.

She was in lovely condition for an older vessel and I would certainly go back at a bargain price like the one I got this time!.

HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Jem

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:28 AM »
Isabelle, thanks for sharing the photo's. It was like going back in time as it was from Tilbury we sailed for Canada in 65. Your cabin looked nice. In 1965 we had bunk beds with curtains you could pull across and a little light above your head. My most vivid memory was hearing the throb of the engines as I fell asleep, like falling asleep to a lullaby.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Jem I just loved your clip of the Alexandr Pushkin it was like going back in time watching the clip and the link to your family history brought the journey alive. 

Isabelle hope you enjoy your trip - looking forward to seeing more photos.     
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:16 PM »
A couple more Marco Polo voyage notes at last, now that I have managed to upload my photos to Flickr :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/sets/72157624007520670/detail/

Perhaps my main impression after the very brief 3-night "Bulbfields" mini cruise is that I need more time to give her a proper chance -- a short week-end was simply not enough. If only Tilbury was not so hard to reach... but I can recommend the special "boat coach" from Victoria.

Embarkation was wonderfully easy, and the fact that I did not have a ticket to show (thanks to the ash clouds... but that is a different story!) made no difference -- the ticket requested by e-mail was ready and waiting at the terminal and handed to me with a smile. No hanging around at all -- it was straight up the gangway, a brief stop at the photographer's, and into the ship.

The ship as such was lovely -- wonderful teak decks, a fine shape, that impressive ice-strengthened hull, amazing history and all that.

The interiors are all mid-1990s. Nothing of Aleksandr Pushkin is left at all. I found them neither excitingly beautiful (like Rotterdam), nor in any way offputting. The ship was comfortable, and I would be perfectly happy to live with these interiors for a longer cruise. The cabin was homely and cozy, and the cabin stewardess provided good service.

The safety drill was the most elaborate I have ever experienced! We were taken to our lifeboats (mine was right outside my cabin, a minuscule walk to get there!), introduced to the crew member who would be helping us there if need be, and told more about how to board the lifeboat if the case arose. I am sure I would not like this level of detail every week, but I did enjoy it on this occasion, as it was quite different from what I have had on other ships.

The crew were clearly overworked. There was none of the usual greeting of people in the alleyways or having a wee chat with them here and there. But as they got used to us, they relaxed and smiled and the atmosphere got much more friendly. One or two of them, when they had a moment, told us that they liked the ship and enjoyed working there. Rehearsed talk? Perhaps, but probably genuine. A high proportion of the crew were Ukrainians, which may explain why they were slow to thaw and make contact with the passengers. But certainly, in the restaurants, there was also the pressure of looking after many tables and passengers.

Almost all the passengers were British, most of them living close to Tilbury. The age mix was not bad -- there were quite a few having a great time dancing the night away in a rather attractive public room.

Many of them had booked the cruise because it was cheap -- only a few had an idea that they were on a special ship. The cruise was booked out, and the last few cabins were sold off at GBP 120 or so per person, so every space was taken. And as the weather was cold and wet, everyone stayed inside rather than enjoying the lovely decks, which made for a bit of crowding in the public spaces.

The dinner arrangements, very sadly, went wrong -- we could not all sit together at one table as we had hoped. But I enjoyed the breakfast, probably the best meal of the day, with a good choice and all fresh. But breakfast was single seating in the main restaurant, and therefore a queue formed, and you sat with the people before and / or after you in the queue. This system was well organised, and I got to meet a few interesting people as a result!

A couple with whom I got chatting over breakfast turned out to have quite an interesting story. The husband had worked aboard Aleksandr Pushkin for the best part of a year as a ship photographer, and he had returned for the first time since then. As expected, he found the interior entirely changed. A couple of us were invited to have a look at his cabin, on the lowest deck of the ship, just above sea level. Looking out of that porthole will remain an abiding memory -- how the sea sped past, right in front of your eyes! Something to remember for next time...

We were very lucky (or so we thought) to have two very different public holidays in the two ports we visited. They were both fun -- Queens' Day in Amsterdam even more so than Labour Day in Antwerp. Wonderful scenes of the Dutch letting go and enjoying themselves, and then of the Belgian trade unionists and their families and pets and musicians having a good parade.

So, all in all, I am so glad I was there -- and I definitely want to go again, for a longer cruise next time, to get to know the ship properly.

Offline Jem

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:49 PM »

The ship as such was lovely -- wonderful teak decks, a fine shape, that impressive ice-strengthened hull, amazing history and all that.
 A couple of us were invited to have a look at his cabin, on the lowest deck of the ship, just above sea level. Looking out of that porthole will remain an abiding memory -- how the sea sped past, right in front of your eyes! Something to remember for next time...
Isabelle, thank you so much for sharing your photo's and recalling your voyage. I remember the cabin we had on our atlantic crossing in 1965 was very close to the water line and I'd watch transfixed as the huge atlantic sped past my port hole. I was amazed some thing so large could physcially carve her way through the waves.
Here's a photo of a painting I had commissioned of her 2 years ago as she looked back in 65 crossing the atlantic in September.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 11:42 PM »
That's a very nice painting; who was the artist?

The style of the waves reminds me of Harold Webb, but I very much doubt he would have still been around two years ago?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Jem

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 11:18 AM »
That's a very nice painting; who was the artist?

The style of the waves reminds me of Harold Webb, but I very much doubt he would have still been around two years ago?
The artist is called Jim Tait here's the link to his website where you can see more of his seascapes:
http://www.tait-gallery.co.uk/Home.aspx

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 12:20 AM »
Marco Polo making her first ecer departure from the Tyne on 6th. May, 2013.

« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Plenty of pictures here, bringing back nice memories for me :

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cruise+Ship+Tours/Marco+Polo/G1773,A12271

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Unfortunately the Marco Polo has this evening been struck by a large wave in the Channel with the loss of one passenger:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26194897
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline tdickson

« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:10 AM »
The Marco Polo ship
The 22,000-tonne Marco Polo cruise ship was headed for Tilbury, Esssex
A passenger has died and another has been airlifted to shore after a cruise ship was hit by a freak wave in the English Channel.

The wave battered the British cruise ship Marco Polo, operated by Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV) as it headed for its home port of Tilbury in Essex at the end of a 42-night voyage.

Water crashed through a window injuring a number of the 735 passengers, who were mainly British.

An 85-year-old male passenger and a woman passenger in her 70s were airlifted off the ship. The male passenger later died.

A number of other passengers received minor injuries and were treated on board.

The vessel, which has been to the Amazon in South America and to the West Indies, is due to dock at Tilbury in the early hours of Sunday.

The company said: "CMV regrets to advise that earlier today their cruise ship m/s Marco Polo, en-route to her home port of Tilbury from the Azores, was hit by a freak wave during adverse sea conditions in the south western approaches of the English Channel.

"One elderly passenger has died and a further passenger has been airlifted for further shore-side medical assistance. The vessel sailed from Tilbury on January 5 and is carrying 735 mainly British passengers and 349 crew.

"Our thoughts are very much with these passengers and their families during this difficult time."

http://news.sky.com/story/1211924/freak-wave-kills-man-on-storm-hit-cruise-ship

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-man-killed-after-huge-wave-batters-cruise-ship-marco-polo-in-english-channel-as-storms-set-to-continue-9129944.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-marco-polo-passenger-3147191
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2014, 12:46 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Helen Brocklesby

« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2014, 01:51 AM »
I travelled on the Marco Polo, for the Titanic cruise back in April 2012, with 6 people who were my passengers when I served on the QE2. I found her a fascinating ship, having only travelled on Cunard  ships previously . It is sad news to hear of the tragedy that has now struck her. If I can find some pictures I will post them on here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Helen Brocklesby
ASM Admin

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:46 PM »
The woman who's husband was killed is  criticising maintenance on the ship. The owners are vigorously  defending themselves.

Widow hits out over ship wave death http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26216192
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Jenny Williamson on Liners' List draws attention to the photographs of the storm posted by the Marco Polo Captain on Facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=630608416976430&set=a.587614681275804.1073741826.100000818320764&type=1&permPage=1

More can be seen by clicking "next"/"previous".

These may well be useful in case he needs to produce evidence of the weather conditions faced by the ship.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Marco Polo in a spot of bother up in N Norway...
http://maritimematters.com/2014/11/marco-polo-around-in-northern-norway/
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Marco Polo in a spot of bother up in N Norway...
http://maritimematters.com/2014/11/marco-polo-around-in-northern-norway/

Thanks for the alert!  A comment on that story from Peter Newall says that she was freed yesterday, which I hope is the case!  I'd love to go on Marco Polo I think.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Poor Marco Polo is having a time of it, getting hit by a wave and grounding twice in a short space of time.  Let's hope there are no more problems for her now.  I do believe she was freed from the grounding by her own engines and some tugs.  There was a comment in our local newspaper saying it appeared she was too close to the rocky shore. 

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Recently  two days on Marco Polo and I really liked her. It was good to be n a solid, well-built vintage ship. Food and service were what you'd expect for the fares you pay but the ship herself wins you over. A bit like another lady we used to sail on....

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2014, 07:35 AM »

Thanks for the alert!  A comment on that story from Peter Newall says that she was freed yesterday, which I hope is the case!  I'd love to go on Marco Polo I think.

As would I.
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2014, 07:35 AM »

Recently  two days on Marco Polo and I really liked her. It was good to be n a solid, well-built vintage ship. Food and service were what you'd expect for the fares you pay but the ship herself wins you over. A bit like another lady we used to sail on....

Good to know!

« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2015, 08:39 PM »
We have received the following message in the Admin mailbox :

Quote from:  Yves Gilson
Good day,

I discovered your forum while doing a search on the Alexandr Pushkin (now Marco Polo). The Port of Montreal will welcome the Marco Polo on August 13. 50 years ago, the Alexandr Pushkin did its maiden voyage between St-Petersburg and Montreal. The Port of Montreal, together with the Montreal Cruise Committee and the shipping line, will organize a lunch onboard and I would like to get in touch with people living in Montreal or surrounding area who have traveled on the Alexandr Pushkin and would like to join us for the celebration.

Best regards,

Yves Gilson
Montreal Port Authority

If you are interested, you could contact Yves Gilson directly at <gilsony@port-montreal.com> .

And of course, looking forward to any reports. I am glad to see that Marco Polo is being properly celebrated! If I got the chance to take another cruise some time soon, she would be my ship of choice :) .

« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2015, 11:51 PM »
Yves has written again and added this about our mention above :

Quote from:  Yves Gilson
Thank you very much. It is highly appreciated. I don’t know of other fora but if you have some hints, please let me know.
I will send you pictures of the event. Two tug boats will welcome the Marco Polo with a water show. The entrance should be spectacular.

Can we recommend any other fora to him where he might issue his invitation?

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #28 on: Jul 28, 2015, 07:05 PM »
The only other ship forum I know of is linked below, but I am sure there must be more

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

« Reply #29 on: Aug 19, 2015, 09:52 PM »
Yves Gilson has come back with the news :

Quote from: Yves Gilson
The return of the former Alexandr Pushkin to Montreal on August 13 has been a great success. Lot of media coverage and a lot of noise on social media. Attached you will find some pictures as the vessel was arriving at the cruise terminal. It was welcomed by a water show. A lot of passengers gathered on the upper deck to see the show.

Best regards,

Yves Gilson
Montreal Port Authority

T 514.283.6976 C 514.891.0224
F 514.283.0829
port-montreal.com

He included five marvellous photos to upload here. Doesn't Marco Polo look beautiful -- long may she continue to sail the high seas!

Many thanks, Yves! I am so glad that the occasion was thoroughly enjoyed.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #30 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:17 AM »
She was anchored off Kirkwall, Orkney when we were there in June.

Fine looking vessel - nice sheer!

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #31 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Good to know everything went to plan.  She is a lovely looking ship.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2015, 12:06 PM »
Do you know that a ex-Chief Enigeneer of the Marco Polo was part of the Ukrainian crew onboard QE2 in 2013/2014?

« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Beautiful photos of Marco Polo in Amsterdam for dry docking right now :

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/cmv-ships-get-the-special-treatment-ready-for-christmas

I really hope to get back on board her before too long!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #34 on: Nov 25, 2016, 04:44 PM »
Goes to show Isabelle, that where there's a will there's a way for thes old ladies of the sea, to remain in revenue earning service, shame there  isn't more of it about.....

« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:22 PM »
Oh dear... Shippax reports that Marco Polo has been put up for sale :

http://www.shippax.com/en/news/marco-polo-has-been-put-up-for-sale-.aspx

The article begins like this :

Cruise : It looks like the end of the line for one of the world’s oldest and much loved cruise ships. The 1965-built MARCO POLO has been put up for sale by her Greek owners, Global Maritime Group, for MUSD15 and will make her final voyage for the UK’s Cruise & Maritime Voyages on 6 May 2018.

To read the rest of the article, one has to log into the site.

Time to book that Marco Polo voyage...  :(

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Oh dear... Shippax reports that Marco Polo has been put up for sale :

http://www.shippax.com/en/news/marco-polo-has-been-put-up-for-sale-.aspx

The article begins like this :

Cruise : It looks like the end of the line for one of the world’s oldest and much loved cruise ships. The 1965-built MARCO POLO has been put up for sale by her Greek owners, Global Maritime Group, for MUSD15 and will make her final voyage for the UK’s Cruise & Maritime Voyages on 6 May 2018.

To read the rest of the article, one has to log into the site.

Time to book that Marco Polo voyage...  :(

Oh dear! I suppose we all knew that was coming... I see a few one night trips coming up, I might have to just do it!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Having sailed on this ship I would urge people to sail her before the end. She is a real gem of a ship!

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2017, 05:30 AM »
I've already posted this elsewhere, but I figured I'd better add a note here:

Marco Polo voyages are now listed up until November 2018, so apparently the May end date isn't happening (rejoice)!

On another note, the Astoria has voyages listed in early 2018 as well, so apparently it will not be leaving the CMV fleet forever in 2017.

I do hope CMV's website is correct. That would be an embarrassing typo.

« Reply #39 on: Mar 19, 2017, 05:43 AM »
I've already posted this elsewhere, but I figured I'd better add a note here:

Marco Polo voyages are now listed up until November 2018, so apparently the May end date isn't happening (rejoice)!

I do hope CMV's website is correct.

CMV confirmed to me in a Facebook comment that Marco Polo would be sailing throughout 2018. I cannot remember the exact wording (Facebook is like that -- it would be hard to find again), but I took it to mean the whole year.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #40 on: Jun 10, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Having just returned from a 3 nighter on board - we can easily confirm that Marco Polo is a seriously good ship.
We are indebted to Michael, his encouragement was significant, too.

Currently, her interiors are looking almost brand new; evidently, there were no offers for her when up for sale recently - and her itinerary has been extended to September 2019.
The Crew are aware that she may yet be sold, although they say their jobs are safe at the moment.
The Cabin and Dining stewards work exceptionally hard over very long hours - just guessing that this too, is the same for the entire ship's crew.
She reminded us of the comfort and size of the Saga Ruby, and there was a definite sense on board that she was still a strong reminder of QE2, too. The ship has no balconies - and her sheer extends to the stern as well as the bow - this is easy noticed along the interior  passenger cabin decks.
The flooring of her ' heavy metal' Bit beneath the Bridge was being covered with excellent thick non-slip matting, allowing a great view of her very cluttered and busy forward mooring deck, with a great look-out forward, below the bridge wings and along her hull sides. The Captain was much in evidence as she was being parked alongside - her thrusters, props and rudder helping her to turn easily in the estuary of the River Seine.
Her stern is superb! Horse-shoe shaped and dare I say it, better than that P and O's Oriana!
When the extension ("stretching") took place - the new joists needed to be riveted in place - you can see these on the 'boat' deck - The Bosun was really interesting, as was the Chief, now on his 32nd ship.
I got the impression that had we spent longer on, we might have been permitted to view both the Bridge and possibly the Engine Room / ECR.
(Message to Pete C - You would absolutely Love this ship Heavy teak, everywhere - although the food isn't quite as good as onboard you know where!)

She also has a "domed" type of experience underfoot - on the main passenger deck there is a serious incline up  towards the centre from bow to stern, and an incline down either side from centre to her scuppers!!
It seemed that perhaps her passengers weren't as aware as they might have been of the significance of the ship, her build, as well as her history...possibly a very good opportunity currently missed by both her owners as well as CMV who charter her.

As Dubai could work out to be an expensive excursion as a way to experience a stay on board "QE2 with a difference", so does anyone think it might be possible that we could also consider staying on board Marco Polo for a few nights? This way, we could enjoy the Best of Teak and the sense of being on a Small and Great Ship, for possibly a quarter of the cost!? (Repositioning on a one nighter from Harwich to Hull is £59!)

Rumours about the ship's future have been rife - however I believe David Monk's statement,
"However, a spokesman for CMV told me today: ‘These stories do pop up from time to time, especially when such a fine traditional liner is involved. Let me assure you there are no immediate plans, indeed we are busy getting the next CMV brochure ready for launch. Marco Polo is featured in the current 2018 programme and is also set for an exciting programme in 2019.’
https://shipmonk.co.uk/2018/02/19/cmv-answers-speculation-that-marco-polo-is-to-be-sold-as-floating-luxury-apartments/
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018, 03:35 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

« Reply #41 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:28 PM »
That is very good news, Rosie, and thank you for the reminder of this ship which I enjoyed very much, some years back...

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #42 on: Jun 10, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Having just returned from a 3 nighter on board - we can easily confirm that Marco Polo is a seriously good ship.
We are indebted to Michael, his encouragement was significant, too.

Currently, her interiors are looking almost brand new; evidently, there were no offers for her when up for sale recently - and her itinerary has been extended to September 2019.
The Crew are aware that she may yet be sold, although they say their jobs are safe at the moment.
The Cabin and Dining stewards work exceptionally hard over very long hours - just guessing that this too, is the same for the entire ship's crew.
She reminded us of the comfort and size of the Saga Ruby, and there was a definite sense on board that she was still a strong reminder of QE2, too. The ship has no balconies - and her sheer extends to the stern as well as the bow - this is easy noticed along the interior  passenger cabin decks.
The flooring of her ' heavy metal' Bit beneath the Bridge was being covered with excellent thick non-slip matting, allowing a great view of her very cluttered and busy forward mooring deck, with a great look-out forward, below the bridge wings and along her hull sides. The Captain was much in evidence as she was being parked alongside - her thrusters, props and rudder helping her to turn easily in the estuary of the River Seine.
Her stern is superb! Horse-shoe shaped and dare I say it, better than that P and O's Oriana!
When the extension ("stretching") took place - the new joists needed to be riveted in place - you can see these on the 'boat' deck - The Bosun was really interesting, as was the Chief, now on his 32nd ship.
I got the impression that had we spent longer on, we might have been permitted to view both the Bridge and possibly the Engine Room / ECR.
(Message to Pete C - You would absolutely Love this ship Heavy teak, everywhere - although the food isn't quite as good as onboard you know where!)

She also has a "domed" type of experience underfoot - on the main passenger deck there is a serious incline up  towards the centre from bow to stern, and an incline down either side from centre to her scuppers!!
It seemed that perhaps her passengers weren't as aware as they might have been of the significance of the ship, her build, as well as her history...possibly a very good opportunity currently missed by both her owners as well as CMV who charter her.

As Dubai could work out to be an expensive excursion as a way to experience a stay on board "QE2 with a difference", so does anyone think it might be possible that we could also consider staying on board Marco Polo for a few nights? This way, we could enjoy the Best of Teak and the sense of being on a Small and Great Ship, for possibly a quarter of the cost!? (Repositioning on a one nighter from Harwich to Hull is £59!)

Rumours about the ship's future have been rife - however I believe David Monk's statement,
"However, a spokesman for CMV told me today: ‘These stories do pop up from time to time, especially when such a fine traditional liner is involved. Let me assure you there are no immediate plans, indeed we are busy getting the next CMV brochure ready for launch. Marco Polo is featured in the current 2018 programme and is also set for an exciting programme in 2019.’
https://shipmonk.co.uk/2018/02/19/cmv-answers-speculation-that-marco-polo-is-to-be-sold-as-floating-luxury-apartments/

Lovely review of a lovely ship I hope to travel on sometime soon before she goes...Cunard said (publicly at least) they had no immediate plans for selling QE2 up to the point they announced the sale to Dubai so I'd take CMV's statement with a pinch of salt. We never know when these sales will actually happen despite sometimes having clues. I think the curving from her centreline down to each of her sides  as part of her "domed" experience is what is called "camber" on a ship - designed to help water wash off the deck and ship in heavy weather (hence the camber leading to her scuppers).
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018, 11:05 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #43 on: Jun 11, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Hi Isabelle, and thank you!

Marco Polo qualifies as a genuine Liner, (despite one or two serious mishaps along the way)

Time-permitting, I'll look up her 'anniversaries' - there is no restriction on age, other than she is a ship that carries only adult passengers - and maybe there could be enough of us interested in staying on board to celebrate the coincidence of QE2's anniversaries on board MV MP, at the same time...?

Thank you, Thomas.
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018, 01:44 PM by Twynkle »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #44 on: Jun 11, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Hi Isabelle, and thank you!

Marco Polo qualifies as a genuine Liner, (despite one or two serious mishaps along the way)

Time-permitting, I'll look up her 'anniversaries' - there is no restriction on age, other than she is a ship that carries only adult passengers - and maybe there could be enough of us interested in staying on board to celebrate the coincidence of QE2's anniversaries on board MV MP, at the same time...?

Thank you, Thomas.
Rosie

That's a lovely idea for a group of us to meet up onboard her...would be great to be on a classic ocean liner again!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #45 on: Jul 08, 2019, 01:22 AM »
My video from the other week:

« Reply #46 on: Jul 08, 2019, 07:47 AM »
She really is a beautiful ship! Standing out all the more, now that most of the classical liners have disappeared.

And beautifully filmed too, if I may say so. Thank you!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #47 on: Jul 08, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Indeed, a "proper" ship. Thank you!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

Here's the first bit of video footage from a wonderful short cruise on the great, "proper ship" Marco Polo in early August this year. I travelled with good shipping friends for 2 nights, where we sailed from Tilbury, stopped in Rotterdam, and disembarked in Newcastle (at the berth renamed by Captain Ian McNaught on QE2's final visit to the port). This footage was filmed as we approached Newcastle, the coast being visible at times. I have a lot more photos and videos to edit as and when possible, including from visiting the wonderful SS Rotterdam for a few hours. Not sure if it's wise to make a dedicated topic/thread or not for this cruise?

« Reply #49 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Not sure if it's wise to make a dedicated topic/thread or not for this cruise?

Great to see this video and looking forward to the photos. And all good birthday wishes to you too, Thomas -- may your new year bring you many blessings and new adventures.

As for creating a new topic -- my suggestion is that you stay here for now, keep writing and sharing, and the Moderators can always split the topic later if we believe it is best that way.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Thank you Isabelle :)

I'll post in the relevant topics then (SS Rotterdam topic too).

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2019, 10:53 AM »
Thomas Hi!
So good to read of your time on boad.
What did you make of the impression of sloping decks under-foot in the passenger areas?
This sense of "dome-ness" both athwart-ships as well as from bow to stern is impressive, isn' it?!

I'm so tempted to make a crossing of the Atlantic on board - however the nature of the 'food' might be a little off-putting of a length of time - spoilt by Cunard, I s'pose!
Rosie

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #52 on: Sep 23, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Hi Twynkle,

I loved how significant Marco Polo's sheer is (brought back memories of walking up and down hill on QE2 to our cabins) and I loved her camber (dome-ness), I tried to capture both in photos and videos too.

Likewise, I would love to do a transatlantic on Marco Polo but the food could be an issue as it was nice but not consistent! I had Roast Duck one night and half of it was as tough as a shoe (did my upper gum in trying to eat it!) and the other half was melt in the mouth as one would expect. Also the restaurant waiter service wasn't Cunard but we've been spoilt by QE2 and started at the top.

I hope to travel on Marco Polo again someday!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #53 on: Jul 20, 2020, 09:24 PM »
It was announced on Facebook that Cruise and Maritime line has gone into administration.
This to many of us is / will be extremely sad news.
I expect to know more shortly, and maybe this company which has several other good ships should have its own topic.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2020, 09:26 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #54 on: Jul 20, 2020, 11:27 PM »
As I had cruises booked on both Astoria and Marco Polo for later this year I had an email from the administrator this afternoon about CMV - as there have been a number of stories about the lie desperately looking for financial support in the last fw weeks it is not a surprise. The balance on my Marco Polo trip was technically due yesterday to my travel agent but I held off in case this happened - should get a refund via the TA for monies already Pais.

I was aware that these ships were coming towards the end of their service and thought I had managed to experience them just in time but COVID has put an end to that. I did visit Marco Polo for a tour / lunch 10 years ago and was really looking forward to my trip involving a couple of December Biscay crossings.

As all of the CMV ships are a lot older than some of the ships currently heading to scrapyards prematurely as a result of COVID it seems unlikely that they will see further service under a new owner - Magellan and Columbus were also on my to do list but now on the ones that got away list instead - joining P&O's Oceana that Ihad hoped to combine with a visit to QE2 post-covid.

Thoughts are with those who have lost jobs ashore and afloat although it does mean some of the 'trapped' crew may get the opportunity to return home earlier than may have been the case.

Gary

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #55 on: Jul 21, 2020, 02:46 PM »
I remember seeing MP in Malta in 2005, l was on the notorious Daily Express £10 cruises . If you are of a certan age , it was along the same lines as The Hoover Flights fiasco.  But you knew she was a lovely looking ship, none of this blocks of flats lark.

Malta on this trip i went ashore off The MSC Melody and took a sneezing fit , lord knows why,   
MP l recall a great many years ago was sailing for CTC Cruises, with some unbelievable prices for cruises. But her bridge with the rolled back top l always felt was the perfect bridge shape , reminded me of the bridge of my local ferry up in Orkney, if you climbed uptop and poped your head up you could feel the wind,.

As a side on QE2 we tried to get into Malta l think 2004, I was up on deck to watch as we went into the harbour, The wind was up and sea had a good swell on, a tug had been dispatched to help us, but when the rope snapped that settleed it , No More Malta, To see and hear a tug rope snap is something else, not only for the noise, but when it recoils it would and probably could kill you if you were hit by it.  But on we sailed to enjoy an overnight at the next port. l think Piraeus.  Loved that place and would be glad to revist it again.     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #56 on: Jul 21, 2020, 11:50 PM »
Very sad to hear about CMV going into administration, and that this is likely the end of at least Astoria and Marco Polo even sooner than expected. Marco Polo was the ship a couple of shipping friends (including David Trevor-Jones) and I travelled to Round Tower in Portsmouth to see off last June on a very warm and sunny day. I was also lucky to travel on her last August to Rotterdam (including visiting SS Rotterdam) and Newcastle (docking where QE2 docked) from Tilbury with a few other shipping friends. Little did we know how disastrous 2020 would be for the cruise industry.

I've attached a few photos from each occasion:
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2020, 11:55 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #57 on: Nov 15, 2020, 02:47 PM »
As mentioned recently that I would try to do so, I've finally got around to editing more of my footage from my Marco Polo cruise in August 2019. Please see the video descriptions on YouTube for more information/context with each video.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #58 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:50 AM »
An update on Marco Polo, paraphrasing what I've seen as confirmed news on Facebook (from a reputable source, a shipping friend who as it turns out knows the new owner personally) is that she won't be scrapped yet at least.
She's been bought by "Highseas Ltd" for use as an accommodation ship and the company director who was spoken to said she'll be maintained in class as a passenger ship in this new role with a view to returning to cruising when things get better.
Interestingly she's heading to Dubai soon for her new life, running sea trials from Avonmouth today after a busy handover before heading south.
I really wonder if her A/C will be up to the task of the Middle East climate particularly in the summer and in the long term, if Dubai is to be her new base, given her Soviet origins, her age (despite her major rebuild into Marco Polo in the early 90s), and mainly having been based in temperate climates. I suspect her A/C will be supplemented as per QE2.
Whether she'll ever see cruise service again and whether she'll be successful or not in her new role - time will tell and seeing will be believing. "Highseas Ltd" must have deep pockets too. I'm cautiously hopeful given how things can go in this regard, particularly in that neck of the woods (not just related to QE2).
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2020, 02:38 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #59 on: Nov 17, 2020, 06:51 PM »
 Thomas , I'm a bit hit'n'miss at the moment, but so glad to've met this post, a beautiful looking lady ( so few left) I hope she makes it . Hopes were there alsio for Saga Ruby  & look what happened there.
  A few years ago I posted a pic of '2 old ladies enjoying the sun'    Ruby & Marco Polo in the Baltic, so opportunistic -that day- to be there to snap it , & I've got to say one of my best for a point & shoot camera,
can't find it to re post but it's on the forum somewhere. regards Pete

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #60 on: Nov 23, 2020, 01:10 PM »
For further updates on Marco Polo, I would strongly recommend following my local WSS Branch website's section on Marco Polo. The admin of the website, a shipping friend of mine, is a friend of the owner from their days at Warsash Maritime College and another shipping friend of mine (David Trevor-Jones) visited her in Avonmouth shortly before her departure. This is as close to the source as any information currently out there for Marco Polo, and is more up-to-date and far more accurate than some other sources that are still being pushed as current on the likes of Facebook.

https://www.shipsdorset.org/resources/c6jz7
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2020, 01:27 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #61 on: Nov 23, 2020, 01:14 PM »
Thomas , I'm a bit hit'n'miss at the moment, but so glad to've met this post, a beautiful looking lady ( so few left) I hope she makes it . Hopes were there alsio for Saga Ruby  & look what happened there.
  A few years ago I posted a pic of '2 old ladies enjoying the sun'    Ruby & Marco Polo in the Baltic, so opportunistic -that day- to be there to snap it , & I've got to say one of my best for a point & shoot camera,
can't find it to re post but it's on the forum somewhere. regards Pete

Hi Pete, I hope you're coping as well as possible. Likewise, still sad about Saga Ruby :( . If you find your photo of both ships it would be great to see it in this topic as a reminder of the "good old days".

Offline pete cain

« Reply #62 on: Nov 27, 2020, 12:54 PM »
Here we go Thomas,
 I couldn't find it but kneew I'd taken the shot, thank goodness Isabelle set up a flicker account for me to extract it from thanks Isabelle ;)     otherwise I don't know what I would've done, it's also along with loads of other Ruby images on the  Saga Ruby Baltic posts from oh so long ago.....
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2020, 12:59 PM by pete cain »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #63 on: Nov 27, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Wonderful photo of two "proper" ships!

« Reply #64 on: Nov 27, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Wonderful photo of two "proper" ships!

I entirely agree! So glad that this photo exists :) . Such a rare sight, even then, and now gone forever...

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #65 on: Dec 05, 2020, 03:48 PM »
Wonderful photo - have been keeping an eye on the CMV ships and had spotted that she had left Avonmouth and have been following her on her route to Dubai -or is it really Alang?

I was booked on her cruise due to leave tomorrow involving a double crossing of the Bay of Biscay which I had been looking forward to until overtaken by events. Another one on the growing list of 'the that got away' although I did have a visit / lunch on board at Tilbury in 2010 - like Astoria should not have left it so long!

I was on last cruise of Caronia before she went to Malta for Saga Ruby refit in November 2004, which was a memorable trip including a sail down the Tagus from Lisbon with QM2 on her last port of call.

Gary

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2020, 03:38 PM »
Marco Polo is heading to Alang where she will arrive on the 12th January 2021

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2020, 04:51 PM »

Horrible news, but thanks for sharing.  I'm so sad I never managed to travel on her and that she couldn't be preserved.

So the question is - at the end of the pandemic - what "interesting" ships are going to be left in Europe for us to aim to travel on?

« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2020, 06:03 PM »

So sad... that ship had character, and beauty, and history... she is pretty irreplaceable.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #69 on: Jan 01, 2021, 12:18 AM »
The Sad News
 "This has come directly within the last hour from the Ship.  The orders are to Sail to Alang and will be ending her days on the 12th January 2021".
This was posted on Facebook, by Geoffrey Vickery on the page where he is Admin, Friends who like Cruise and Maritime Voyages.

Like the sale of QE2 - this ship was older still, and thankfully has also given many of  us some lovely memories - even on the lethal slippery "bit below the bridge"!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #70 on: Jan 01, 2021, 02:27 AM »
The toll continues to be sadly taken....
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2021, 09:56 PM »
Very sad news to say the least. The admin of my local WSS branch as I linked to earlier in this topic had his source at her new owners go silent on him, it seems as they sold her on to the scrappers without sentiment. I will never forget how much of a reminder of the seagoing QE2 she was right down to the smell of the cabin bathroom, her portholes, and the bunker C fuel oil smell in places on her lower decks, but whilst also having her own charm and having her own fascinating history. Yet another "proper" ship bites the dust  :(

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2021, 12:36 PM »
Ship underway now towards Alang ETA 9th January 2021

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #73 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:10 AM »
The Sad News
 "This has come directly within the last hour from the Ship.  The orders are to Sail to Alang and will be ending her days on the 12th January 2021".
This was posted on Facebook, by Geoffrey Vickery on the page where he is Admin, Friends who like Cruise and Maritime Voyages.

Like the sale of QE2 - this ship was older still, and thankfully has also given many of  us some lovely memories - even on the lethal slippery "bit below the bridge"!

Marco Polo was a regular on the Clyde and a few friends have sailied on her. Sad news indeed - had it not been for this pandemic she would have sailed on a few years longer anyway. Loved that parabolic sheer although anytime I saw her on the Clyde she seemed to be sailing with slight port list!

Geoffrey Vickery - theres a name from the past - I met him quite a few times on Waverley 12-15yrs back!

Gav

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Re: Marco Polo headed for Alang
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Marco Polo appears to be underway for the final time according to MarineTraffic AIS, having left Bhavnagar Anchorage about 25 minutes ago where she's been since 9th January after sailing past Alang to get there. The former Carnival Celebration joined Marco Polo at the anchorage in recent days and is awaiting her demise as we speak. Yet another classic, "proper" ship bites the dust. Not looking forward as normal, to the inevitable videos and photos of her beaching and being ripped apart.

How I prefer to remember her, my photo in happier times: