Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: 3D model of QE2  (Read 20346 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: 3D model of QE2
« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Try these!
https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=28670879%40N03&q=Tenders&m=text

and enlarged
https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Tenders&w=28670879%40N03&z=e

It would be well worth you looking for Tenders in Flickr as well (as for Lifeboats)

A few here (of mine)
I haven't made time to upload more!
https://www.flickr.com/search/?z=e&w=34930499%40N03&q=Tenders&m=text
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010, 03:17 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 05:57 PM »
That looks amazing, good work!

However, I don't think the sides are curvy enough!  Hardly any of QE2's side is straight - she is only straight for about 25% of her length.... the curve from her bow doesn't stop curving until a 3rd  of the way along, and not long after that she starts curving in again towards the stern... i'll see if i can find a photo to explain what i mean.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Follow up...

There are lots of photos like this available - https://www.flickr.com/photos/vinceneale/3472049327/

The part of her hull that is catching the light, is flat, the rest is not.  Her sides only become a bit flatter when you're away up at one deck and the superstructure above

ThijsM

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Thanks rob for the info ;)

I'll probably make her a bit rounder at when I'm finished, just for modelling purposes. ;)

Here are two new screenshots, I made some progress, but I want to know if she's recognisable and if I'm not making any mistakes.
The little red quad you see there, represents a human. But as I never been on the ship, it's very hard for me to get the measuring right ;)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:44 PM by Rob Lightbody »

ThijsM

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 04:59 PM »
The ship is finally getting some decent shape, here is another update ;)

I already tested some materials on the chimney, but that is just a test. When the overall shape is finished, I finally can start with the details, like the boatdeck (that will be a hard part and will take some time).

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:45 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Hi ThijsM

These images are really cool!
Well Done  :)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 03:26 AM »
I have been working on a rendering of QE2 back in her birthplace of Clydebank.  We use SketchUp, an excellent modeling software program acquired by Google several years ago, in our office, as well as Revit, AutoCAD, and 3dStudio Max.  I found that someone has already built a 3D model.  I found this using Google Earth with the 3D object set on while cruising through Dubai, looking for QE2.  She is not shown in her current spot so the image is old (August 15, 2009 is the date listed), but she is the only 3D modeled feature in the port area so she sticks out instantly!  (she would anyway in a sea of cargo ship anyway  ;D)

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ebe8b027aedcd6a8bab3b73b36f5f8e0&ct=3dbl&hl=en

"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

ThijsM

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 09:12 AM »
It looks like a nice model, but I don't like sketchup as a matter of a fact, it's very limited. 3D studio max is way more complex and you can do a lot more stuff.

Because of the limited time I have and my other projects for school, it won't be a model that detailed, but I hope to finish it with some nice materials and some nice renders.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 12:07 PM »
FYI, eagle eyed Rosie noticed "Alang, India" to the left of the posted image.  If you "fly" to their on Google Earth, it is very depressing and also not too far from Dubai.  You can easily make out the various ships on the beaches.  There is one liner visible on the latest image and I would guess it to be the Maxim Gorki.  This is an image I do not want to see repeated with a certain ship with a red funnel.  :(

Regarding the rendering, I totally agree that the SketchUp program is limited.  We using it effectively to render preliminary building designs and when used with Google Earth images, it can be a quick/effective way to show a new building in existing surroundings.  If you want to have some fun, click on the 3D elements and "fly" through NYC.  Most of the buildings have been rendered, creating a virtual city you can navigate through.

Good luck on your rendering!  It's coming along nicely.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

ThijsM

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 01:18 PM »
A new image I've rendered. I want a setup like this.
Now I need to model the rescue boats, the mast and a bit of detail, then finish it with some materials.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 02:04 PM »
This is looking very good now.

One query: The superstructure appears to have developed a vertical stretch of some kind?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 03:16 PM »
She's coming on well...
However, (and I hardly dare mention this!) the Bit Beneath the Bridge (Observation Deck) might even be a bit tall for a giant at the moment!!
When did you say she needed to be finished by, ThijsM?  :)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:54 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 04:35 PM »
You beat me to the punch, Rosie.  I think the model is very good overall but being a "purist" it looks like there is one deck too many between the Sports Deck and Signal Deck.  Otherwise it is a fabulous rendering.  I can't wait to see it all painted up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:42 PM by Bob C. »

ThijsM

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 09:33 AM »
@Twynkle: You don't have to be afraid to give comments, I like them :D This forum has been useful since the very beginning of my task, tnx for that! This task has to be finished by the 14th of June. So normally it can be finished, not so many details left to model anyway. Because I probably will take a shot from the front, I just need to make sure all the detail in the front is correct.

@Twynkle, Bob C and Peter: yeah, I got some troubles modelling the correct bridge, but I'll check it out and I'll make sure it looks correct ;)

And I have an additional question. I've got the remark from some people that this image looks quite unrealistisc because of those mountains. But is it disturbing for you guys if the QE2  is rendered with such a background? :p

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2010, 03:11 PM »
Thijs,
    The mountains aren't that far from reality.  See this link to see QE2 in the Fjords - https://www.flickr.com/photos/romeral/273434277/ .  It's pretty close if you ask me.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Hi ThijsM

QE2 was built in amongst the mountains!
Here's a pic from Sea Pigeon
https://www.flickr.com/photos/seapigeon/2915038237/
(have you had a look at the Gallery topic here on the Forum?)

Here's a great image from Isabelle's collection
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/1435011658/in/set-72157605497170076/
and another of her in Geirangerfjord,  - both in Norway
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/3660184619/
Rosie

(hope that you'll be able to access these OK!)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:14 PM by Twynkle »

ThijsM

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 11:44 AM »
New update:

Experimented a bit with colors and lights. Modelled the railing and some additional lifeboats.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Great work!  How many hours have you put into it now?  I think the bow especially, from the superstructure forward, is nicely done - it looks pretty much right.  She still looks too slab-sided to me though... she is too flat, and too straight at the waterline... QE2 was beautifully curvy - image attached at a similar angle to your first image.

The railings are good, as they add a sense of scale to the ship.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:01 PM by Rob Lightbody »

ThijsM

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 02:26 PM »
I already put many, many hours in this project. I'll try to give a exact number after the exams :p

Thank you for the reference photo, the curve is indeed missing in my picture, but I'll fix it!
While I was modelling this beautiful ocean liner, I am really sad it'll never be possible for me to get aboard and go on a journey.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Excellent work Thijs and nice correction on the "bit beneath the bridge".  She's really taking shape and I'd say she'll be good enough for an "A" on the project once the "CUNARD" and B and Q deck windows are included.  If you're like me though, you'll probably continue to tweak it looking for perfection.

Outstanding job!!!