Author Topic: 1977 - 1978/9 Superb images of QE2 in New York and Hong Kong harbours  (Read 3683 times)

Online Twynkle

Thanks to Liners List for reference to this link!

http://global-mariner.com/index113ShipFerries.html
Copyright belongs to Karsten Peterson (Photographer)
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010, 11:52 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Bob C.

Awesome photos Rosie - excellent find!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

A bit of TLC happening on her starboard side by the look of the painter's platforms! H&S would preclude that activity these days.

Nice shots - love the really clear colour shots from the film of that period.

What a shot of the Big U as well!

Thanks for posting these Rosie.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Wow.  Great photos!

SSUS looks SUPERB, as does QE2 of course.

Seeing QE2 nowadays, she looks incredibly long and low, compared to a modern cruise ship but in those photos she actually looks quite high compared to SSUS.  This is interesting, because the designers were afraid that she would indeed look too high.  I believe this was the reasoning behind the khaki paint and the black davits on the boat deck.

The more I see the original funnel in white, the more I love it.  It makes the whole ship look sleeker and sexier, just like she was meant to.  The "white and black" of it also connects it, I believe to Apollo, the Space Shuttle and Concorde.

Also look at the HUGE crowds on the dockside looking at her, even though she wasn't arriving or departing when the photo was taken.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andrew Collier

AWESOME! I love the black (charcoal) and white, agree totally with Rob on that.

Especialyl love the 1977 Hong Kong pics, the ship looks so fresh and new, none of the worn in look we got used to later on!

After much consideration, I have almost decided the ship looked better with the first set of penthouses, as shown here, and second set maybe, although i wish theyd done a neater design for those, than it did with the open sports deck. Think they did a really neat job of integrating the first set, as these pics show!

Just a shame there was never a stage where The Look Out and its windows were in place, and the first penthouse block, second too maybe, that for me would have been the ultimate QE2!

The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Mauretania1907

Go further onto the site global-mariner and click on a set of photos called 'the Storm' and a ship called Stolt Surf, and you will see her surfing for her life, the author of the site said that, had they lost the engines, he would definitely not be alive to day. This storm is SCARY. The rest of the site is also very interesting, with several views of engine-rooms on the various ships mentioned - the author ending up as Chief Engineer. I recommend this site!

Online Twynkle

Go further onto the site global-mariner and click on a set of photos called 'the Storm' and a ship called Stolt Surf, and you will see her surfing for her life, the author of the site said that, had they lost the engines, he would definitely not be alive to day. This storm is SCARY. The rest of the site is also very interesting, with several views of engine-rooms on the various ships mentioned - the author ending up as Chief Engineer. I recommend this site!

(I agree with you, Mauretania1907 !
Think we need to whisper here - it's a wee bit off the beaten track on this topic!
Maybe we could ask for the link and comments to be moved to the Other Ships Topic (Virtual Chart Room) , under something like 'Storms, Ships with Big Engines - then we could add that Huge Maersk one called Emma too!)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Rod

Regarding the ship in HK. All the ropes that the dockyard used for the platforms were made of bamboo! On the landward side of the ship there was bamboo scaffolding. No safety ropes, life belts...NOTHING!
That all changed  in the 80's.
Also anyone remember them painting the underwater part of the ship in HK?

28 June 1977 - International Fleet Review in the Solent

Started by Bob C.Board 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 14
Views: 7361
Last post Feb 09, 2019, 11:55 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Captain L R W Portet, RD Cdr RNR (13 April 1977)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 3446
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:43 AM
by Lynda Bradford
William Farmer: Chief Engineer 1977 to 1979 (Steam Engines)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Chief Engineers

Replies: 0
Views: 828
Last post Jan 12, 2018, 10:43 AM
by Lynda Bradford
souvenir book for 1977 world cruise

Started by peter wardBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 1492
Last post Mar 10, 2021, 01:04 PM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 Repairs and refit 3 to 14 January 1977