Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The last Cunard voyage of Queen Elizabeth  (Read 4310 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: The last Cunard voyage of Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2010, 06:01 PM »
In his memoirs, Captain Marr lamented the fact that RMS Queen Elizabeth "sneaked" out of Southampton at daybreak with no fanfare or ceremony whatsoever.
There were salutes from other vessels in the harbor, but QE couldn't return the honor as a mechanical glitch made her whistle temporarily out of order.

The hoopla surrounding the final departure of RMS Queen Mary from Southampton was mostly due to the city of Long Beach California, against the wishes of Cunard.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2010, 06:50 PM »
There's a reference to this here as well.
Post #8
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1322.0.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2011, 01:30 PM »
To add to the insult, Commodore Marr's book mentions that even with a skeleton crew there was so little to do on that trip to Fort Lauderdale that they ran out of beer in the Pig 'n whistle.  Horrors!

Offline Bob Flett

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2015, 08:50 PM »
It would have been amazing if the plan to run the two Elizabeth's together for a few years had come to fruition. By many accounts the old Elizabeth was proving popular in her final years in her cruising role, but would the new Elizabeth have stolen her thunder as the transatlantic trade had all but died by that time. We will never know but still an interesting hypothesis.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2015, 09:58 PM »
In his memoirs, Captain Marr lamented the fact that RMS Queen Elizabeth "sneaked" out of Southampton at daybreak with no fanfare or ceremony whatsoever.
There were salutes from other vessels in the harbor, but QE couldn't return the honor as a mechanical glitch made her whistle temporarily out of order.

The hoopla surrounding the final departure of RMS Queen Mary from Southampton was mostly due to the city of Long Beach California, against the wishes of Cunard.

Hi S2k
Another sad thing too, for Commodore Marr and his 'motley crew', was the fact that QE2 was having fun! She was blazing a new trail, as she stretched her legs during her maiden sea trials - and a telegram from her (at Captain Bil Warwick's request?) had been sent with good wishes for RMS Queen Elizabeth's as she made her 'final' sailing ex-So'ton.
Just a thought - when did Commodore Warwick relinquish his status as Commodore - perhaps it also happened at the same time...(My copy of his excellent book 'The Queens and I' isn't to hand just at the minute...sorry!)
Also - How did the City of Long Beach manage to reach So'ton to do hoopla for RMS Queen Mary?
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2015, 10:14 PM »

Hi S2k
Another sad thing too, for Commodore Marr and his 'motley crew', was the fact that QE2 was having fun! She was blazing a new trail, as she stretched her legs during her maiden sea trials - and a telegram from her (at Captain Bil Warwick's request?) had been sent with good wishes for RMS Queen Elizabeth's as she made her 'final' sailing ex-So'ton.
Just a thought - when did Commodore Warwick relinquish his status as Commodore - perhaps it also happened at the same time...(My copy of his excellent book 'The Queens and I' isn't to hand just at the minute...sorry!)
Also - How did the City of Long Beach manage to reach So'ton to do hoopla for RMS Queen Mary?
Rosie

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Hi S2k
Rosie

I believe that Captain Marr was already retired from Cunard when he was asked to be Master of QE at that time, so he would no longer have been Commodore of Cunard. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:31 PM »
I received this query from my website. Can anyone clarify?

"Is there any account of the final Atlantic voyage in 1968 which indicates that one or more of the bridge windows was shattered and pieces distributed to passengers who wished to have them? I have a shard which is mounted on a wooden base presented by one of the passengers to my father on his return to England. I am certain of its authenticity, but wondered if there is documentary evidence of this happening?"

My first Experience on a Cunard Ship (QE)

Started by Tom KirrageBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 7
Views: 2555
Queen Victoria Refit 2015

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 11
Views: 5238
Queen Mary 2 painting

Started by Alan.C.Board RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 2092
The Queen Mary collection onboard QE2 (heritage trail)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Artwork and Heritage on board QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 294
Sir Samuel Cunard

Started by Chris FrameBoard Cunard

Replies: 14
Views: 2526
QM2 (and other Cunard) Staff Retirement

Started by 3QueensGirlBoard Cunard

Replies: 3
Views: 1356